OT: Moving to D.C. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Moving to D.C.

If you like it, fine. Different strokes ...

But it would be near the bottom of any list I could come up with. Flat, sandy soil, generally treeless, consisting of roads filled with gas stations, fast food places, auto parts stores, etc. This is the fringe of the Metro area where it rubs up against the rest of (Red Neck) Virginia. Other than a performing arts center and a Civil War Battlefield, I can't think of any positives.

But I'm sure that it's a fine place to live for people. Housing costs are low, I think. Certainly is convenient to food shopping.

I can easily see 1:15 hrs on 66 in the morning to DC. I've never been on 66 when there wasn't a lot of traffic.

Definitely a bit of Red Neck Rub on the area. It's also a minority majority area too. Some of the best hispanic food around. Manassas is one of those places where city people move after they have kids and have to buy a house because it's one of the only affordable places within 30 miles of DC, and it's still not even that cheap. I lived within walking distance of the Old Town area so I was able to walk to restaurants, bars, festivals, etc. It gets a bad rep and some of it is deserved. I only ended up there because of living cost when I first moved to the area, but I ended up liking it more than I expected to. Would I move back? Probably not, but it's not terrible.

Yes. Definitely more of that “questionable” potential around parts of U Street late at night on weekends. I’m going to make it a point to check out Clarendon/Arlington next time. Have heard great things. I go to DC and Wolf Trap for work a few times a year and for a few weeks every summer so need to explore more.

I love Arlington. If I ever make enough money to buy a house here, I'll probably never leave. I personally prefer to live right across the bridge from DC instead of in DC, but I see the appeal of DC for people too.

Definitely a bit of Red Neck Rub on the area. It's also a minority majority area too. Some of the best hispanic food around. Manassas is one of those places where city people move after they have kids and have to buy a house because it's one of the only affordable places within 30 miles of DC, and it's still not even that cheap. I lived within walking distance of the Old Town area so I was able to walk to restaurants, bars, festivals, etc. It gets a bad rep and some of it is deserved. I only ended up there because of living cost when I first moved to the area, but I ended up liking it more than I expected to. Would I move back? Probably not, but it's not terrible.

Not to pile on poor Manassas, but I know a young fellow who did what you said (Moved there after he got married because of very low housing prices, by comparison.)

Now his kids are in Middle School and the Prince William County High School he is zoned for is beyond bad. I'm talking MS-13 bad. That low price he paid now seems much higher in retrospect.

Northern Virginia suffers from over-development and a historic lack of real zoning restrictions. A lot of people made a lot of big money in the rush to build and build.

He is single (so there is one answer) and he also fancies himself as a part time DJ and wants to be near the city for gigs.

Tell him to look at MassCourt, near Gallery Place. I lived in that area for 6 years from moving to DC and had a great time with a great location.

Not to pile on poor Manassas, but I know a young fellow who did what you said (Moved there after he got married because of very low housing prices, by comparison.)

Now his kids are in Middle School and the Prince William County High School he is zoned for is beyond bad. I'm talking MS-13 bad. That low price he paid now seems much higher in retrospect.

Northern Virginia suffers from over-development and a historic lack of real zoning restrictions. A lot of people made a lot of big money in the rush to build and build.

Coaching CYO basketball I get to travel to all those locales. Manassas still has the gun shops and the dudes in the MAGA hats, with the high Hispanic immigrant population and toss in some of the gentrifying type. It's soooo far out there.

Leesburg is sooo far out there too. You know you're far when you see a Food Lion. Seems nice enough, but so much of the place looks like it was built last week.

Development in VA is better than NYC though - at least here a house gets knocked down, it's replaced with a bigger house. In NYC a house goes down and gets replaced with a multi-family dwelling.

Coaching CYO basketball I get to travel to all those locales. Manassas still has the gun shops and the dudes in the MAGA hats, with the high Hispanic immigrant population and toss in some of the gentrifying type. It's soooo far out there.

Leesburg is sooo far out there too. You know you're far when you see a Food Lion. Seems nice enough, but so much of the place looks like it was built last week.

Development in VA is better than NYC though - at least here a house gets knocked down, it's replaced with a bigger house. In NYC a house goes down and gets replaced with a multi-family dwelling.

A lot of No VA reminds me of Los Angeles, especially from Sterling to Leesburg and Oakton, Chantilly, Vienna, Fairfax, etc., etc.

Where you are --- the older sections of Alexandria and Arlington --- seems the best of it, except for Great Falls.

CYO basketball in Virginia? Didn't think there were enough Catholics over there to support it. But now that I think about it, there are more than a few Catholic high schools over there with Ireton, O'Connell, Paul VI, and Gregory the Great.

Frank Howard apparently commuted from PG County to O'Connell. It's amazing he didn't end up at DeMatha.

A lot of No VA reminds me of Los Angeles, especially from Sterling to Leesburg and Oakton, Chantilly, Vienna, Fairfax, etc., etc.

Where you are --- the older sections of Alexandria and Arlington --- seems the best of it, except for Great Falls.

CYO basketball in Virginia? Didn't think there were enough Catholics over there to support it. But now that I think about it, there are more than a few Catholic high schools over there with Ireton, O'Connell, Paul VI, and Gregory the Great.

Frank Howard apparently commuted from PG County to O'Connell. It's amazing he didn't end up at DeMatha.

He started at Gonzaga. Catholic community here is booming. 32 - 36 teams per grade level per gender.

We moved out here from MD after I left NASA - absolutely love it.

That's Leesburg, you are talking about?

As long as you don't have to commute into Tyson's and further East and as long as you like that kind of deep suburban or even ex-urban living, I'm sure it's fine.

But as Bayside pointed out, it is way out there.

Other than the Redskins training camp being there, it's a stretch to call that Washington.

My wife is a City mouse. Bethesda is her speed. I'm just along for the ride.

He started at Gonzaga. Catholic community here is booming. 32 - 36 teams per grade level per gender.

Alright! An Eagle in the family. Great place to go to school. More enthusiasm surrounds that school than any I have ever seen.

Years ago, most of the Catholics were on this side of the River. In fact, I am told that Maryland is the most Catholic state in the nation in terms of %age of the population.

CYO basketball is a big deal in Montgomery County and the teams used to play teams from the District and PG County too.

As long as you don't have to commute into Tyson's and further East and as long as you like that kind of deep suburban or even ex-urban living, I'm sure it's fine.

Other than the Redskins training camp being there, it's a stretch to call that Washington.

We lived not far from Bethesda - my wife did marketing for two large mixed-use developments there and the 'North Bethesda' area north of White Flint. We liked the area but compared to where we are now, everything was more congested, further away timewise than where we are now. I lived the city life when I was younger and I enjoyed it but give me the suburbs these days.

I work off 28 in Sterling so my commute went from well over an hour down to 15 minutes.

We lived not far from Bethesda - my wife did marketing for two large mixed-use developments there and the 'North Bethesda' area north of White Flint. We liked the area but compared to where we are now, everything was more congested, further away timewise than where we are now. I lived the city life when I was younger and I enjoyed it but give me the suburbs these days.

I work off 28 in Sterling so my commute went from well over an hour down to 15 minutes.

Ahh, North Bethesda. I know it well as two of my sons went to school down and across the street from White Flint. (You know there really is no such place as North Bethesda. That's a made up name so people don't have to say they live or work in Rockville. Sort of like "North" Potomac.)

I guess Leesburg is the "suburbs", although it's not far from being rural. Just how far is it to Winchester anyway?

I'm sure it's a very convenient place to live. But it's not got a lot of charm and it's populated primarily by people from "somewhere else". But if you don't care about those things, it's great.

Last time I was there the people were carrying on an animated discussion about the scintillating topic of the relative merits of "Grocery Stores". Was Wegmen's really a slice of heaven or not?

I'd rather listen to a conversation about whether Boeheim forced the "coach in waiting" to take another job so that he could stay on forever. (And that's very low on my lists of things I'd like to do.)

Alright! An Eagle in the family. Great place to go to school. More enthusiasm surrounds that school than any I have ever seen.

Years ago, most of the Catholics were on this side of the River. In fact, I am told that Maryland is the most Catholic state in the nation in terms of %age of the population.

CYO basketball is a big deal in Montgomery County and the teams used to play teams from the District and PG County too.

He meaning Howard. And he got kicked out. My kids are still in parochial school.

Tons of Gonzaga and Visi families here

He meaning Howard. And he got kicked out. My kids are still in parochial school.

Tons of Gonzaga and Visi families here

I wasn't clear on who "He" was. Given where he is from, Gonzaga is more understandable for Howard. They run a tight ship.

It used to be that Gonzaga was heavily Maryland and DC people. But the percentage of No VA people has steadily climbed. Visitation too. Visitation is still the darling of the Catholic professional class (Doctors, Lawyers, etc.) in NW DC and lower Montgomery County with lots of legacies attending.

It is waaay out there. After a Saturday afternoon at Tarara Winery, we decided to go into the village of Leesburg to check it out. Went into some local bar and it was actually full of people smoking, not to mention a few confederate flags adorning the walls. When one person in our party mentioned the smoking, a guy replied, "our town, our rules." Not the suburbs.

I think I live a good 7 iron from Townie in a condo in Friendship Heights, MD. Got everything I need for provisions within walking distance. I bike to work each day and gave up my car 8 years ago. Metro is a five minute walk.

It is waaay out there. After a Saturday afternoon at Tarara Winery, we decided to go into the village of Leesburg to check it out. Went into some local bar and it was actually full of people smoking, not to mention a few confederate flags adorning the walls. When one person in our party mentioned the smoking, a guy replied, "our town, our rules." Not the suburbs.

I think I live a good 7 iron from Townie in a condo in Friendship Heights, MD. Got everything I need for provisions within walking distance. I bike to work each day and gave up my car 8 years ago. Metro is a five minute walk.

Friendship Heights is one of the areas the Locals know about but that people who are new to the area don't and would likely never consider. It's out of the trendy areas, but the Red Line gets you to Dupont Circle in 10 minutes (?). It's relatively safe, there are plenty of shops, restaurants, etc.

As you point out, a car is probably more of a problem than anything.

You could even walk over to St John's High on Military Road and watch some Catholic League basketball.

Upper Connecticut Ave near CC Circle is the same sort of thing, but with no Metro.

I was shocked when I moved down here to see how quickly Maryland becomes West Virginia-like when you go North of Potomac along the River.

Friendship Heights is one of the areas the Locals know about but that people who are new to the area don't and would likely never consider. It's out of the trendy areas, but the Red Line gets you to Dupont Circle in 10 minutes (?). It's relatively safe, there are plenty of shops, restaurants, etc.

You could even walk over to St John's High on Military Road and watch some Catholic League basketball.

Upper Connecticut Ave near CC Circle is the same sort of thing, but with no Metro.

I was shocked when I moved down here to see how quickly Maryland becomes West Virginia-like when you go North of Potomac along the River.

So true. I have the Cap Grille, Lia's, etc. withing a 5 minute walk. Yes, it's about 10 minutes on Metro (provided no fires or a derailments) to Dupont aka The Palm.

I rent out my parking space for $125.00 a month, which is a nice bonus.

As an old J-D friend's kid used to play hoop for St. John's, I've seen quite a few games over there.

True on the WV thought. As I sometimes ride all the way up River Road, I know I'm out there when I see the TRUMP campaign signs, some of which are still up!

This is a pretty Awesome thread. lol Reminds me of when the Verizon center upper bowl was completely orange every year from about 1999 until 2010. LGO chants cascading down and overwhelming the entire arena.

The upper bowl was completely orange in 2017.

That's great! I've spent a lot of time out of the country since 2010 so I haven't really been able to gauge. I'm glad the tradition of hostile occupation continues. Make DC 100 years orange.

So true. I have the Cap Grille, Lia's, etc. withing a 5 minute walk. Yes, it's about 10 minutes on Metro (provided no fires or a derailments) to Dupont aka The Palm.

I rent out my parking space for $125.00 a month, which is a nice bonus.

As an old J-D friend's kid used to play hoop for St. John's, I've seen quite a few games over there.

True on the WV thought. As I sometimes ride all the way up River Road, I know I'm out there when I see the TRUMP campaign signs, some of which are still up!
Lia's is great.

Townie, you should have a show on PBS walking around explaining DC like Rick Steves has with Europe.

Townie, you should have a show on PBS walking around explaining DC like Rick Steves has with Europe.
It would be awful.

My problem is that I fundamentally don't like Washington as a place to live even though We have lived here since 1984. The traffic is awful and it's unjustifiably expensive.

My wife loves it and my son's are neutral about it. And while not natives, they have lived here since first grade.

But like all people they eventually figure out where a lot of the good stuff is that most people don't know about. Take the Catholic League high school basketball games. This is one of the top leagues in the country and for $5 you can watch teams loaded with DI talent go after one another sitting courtside. These remind me of Philadelphia "Big Five" games of yesteryear with the stands filled with students that really don't like the other school.

Only if it's open container and cigarette friendly.

There's a mental picture for you. Sort of like "Al Swearingen's Tour of Deadwood" or Omar Little's " Walking Tour of Interesting Sites in West Baltimore".