OT: Moving to D.C. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Moving to D.C.

He moved to DC in 2000. Area was just starting to change. Projects on other side of highway now gone. Area has been completely transformed.

Bought his brownstone for a song and a dance. Now probably worth more than triple what he paid for it...

Not sure who the "He" is you are talking about.

The guy who is 1 1/2 blocks from the Capitol Building?

Capitol Hill is a fine place for young people, especially if they are involved in politics. The Eastern Market on a Saturday proves the expression "DC if Hollywood for ugly people."

If they are getting over $1M for those small houses, close together, old houses on Capitol Hill that shows the value of location, for sure.

If I were them I'd look at Federal Hill in Baltimore and take the train in to DC.

Not sure who the "He" is you are talking about.

The guy who is 1 1/2 blocks from the Capitol Building?

Capitol Hill is a fine place for young people, especially if they are involved in politics. The Eastern Market on a Saturday proves the expression "DC if Hollywood for ugly people."

If they are getting over $1M for those small houses, close together, old houses on Capitol Hill that shows the value of location, for sure.

If I were them I'd look at Federal Hill in Baltimore and take the train in to DC.
My father.

I said so in a prior post.

He moved to DC in 2000. Area was just starting to change. Projects on other side of highway now gone. Area has been completely transformed.

Bought his brownstone for a song and a dance. Now probably worth more than triple what he paid for it...

Navy Yard, etc is a whole new city. Nuts.

That's a LONG commute, Townie. You have to walk 10-15 minutes down to the Camden Yards MARC station, then you have an hour ride to Union Station, then you have to Metro to wherever you're going in DC which could easily be another 20 minutes. So you're really looking at 90 minutes each way minimum, and that's without delays.

That's a LONG commute, Townie. You have to walk 10-15 minutes down to the Camden Yards MARC station, then you have an hour ride to Union Station, then you have to Metro to wherever you're going in DC which could easily be another 20 minutes. So you're really looking at 90 minutes each way minimum, and that's without delays.

You are probably right.

It's not practical.

But these neighborhoods in B'more seem to me to be similar and are about half the price of DC.

You are probably right.

It's not practical.

But these neighborhoods in B'more seem to me to be similar and are about half the price of DC.

If you're working in the DC game living in so far out is a dead end.

My son has been in plenty of sh!tholes (50-60 countries) and has only had one cell phone stolen from him in Barcelona. He was also ripped off by some Chinese business at Tianamen Square (look up Tea House scam) and went back forced them to return a fair amount back money they owed him by intimidation.
I looked up the scam and that is definitely one I could see myself falling for. Thanks for the heads up.

If you're working in the DC game living in so far out is a dead end.

True enough. But you can do some jobs from anywhere and some people don't even work anymore (like Townie)

I really don't care for Capitol Hill much. I don't like the housing stock or the area or the people I see there. Even by DC standards it is a transient area. When I have been to the Eastern Market, I see more Wisconsin or Illinois sweatshirts than I do Maryland or Virginia ones like in the rest of DC. They think they are living in DC, but they are really living in a segregated area for people who are not locals.

It's also in walking distance of some very dodgy areas. For some reason I think the areas in NW that have been gentrified are better, safer and more interesting even as you move eastward from Conn Ave towards North Capitol. What else is there East of the Capitol but the Capitol Hill neighborhood, some bars and restaurants and the Eastern market?

Where you are seems to be a happy compromise between proximity to the District and livability/safety/affordability.

One thing that helps with the safety in VA is the stark difference between how the laws are enforced and the associated penalties. I know a guy who is a criminal defense attorney in VA. He frequently sees DC residents that have walked across a bridge or Metro'd over to VA to commit mugging, armed robbery, etc.

They are astonished to find out that if caught they are facing very long sentences at very serious prisons (e.g. Blacksburg) versus what they would have faced if they had done their business on the other side of the Potomac.

True enough. But you can do some jobs from anywhere and some people don't even work anymore (like Townie)

I really don't care for Capitol Hill much. I don't like the housing stock or the area or the people I see there. Even by DC standards it is a transient area. When I have been to the Eastern Market, I see more Wisconsin or Illinois sweatshirts than I do Maryland or Virginia ones like in the rest of DC. They think they are living in DC, but they are really living in a segregated area for people who are not locals.

It's also in walking distance of some very dodgy areas. For some reason I think the areas in NW that have been gentrified are better, safer and more interesting even as you move eastward from Conn Ave towards North Capitol. What else is there East of the Capitol but the Capitol Hill neighborhood, some bars and restaurants and the Eastern market?

Where you are seems to be a happy compromise between proximity to the District and livability/safety/affordability.

One thing that helps with the safety in VA is the stark difference between how the laws are enforced and the associated penalties. I know a guy who is a criminal defense attorney in VA. He frequently sees DC residents that have walked across a bridge or Metro'd over to VA to commit mugging, armed robbery, etc.

They are astonished to find out that if caught they are facing very long sentences at very serious prisons (e.g. Blacksburg) versus what they would have faced if they had done their business on the other side of the Potomac.

Lived on the Hill in my youth and didn't love it. The whole area is a construction zone now, and real food shopping, H Street (yeah go figure) and Navy Yard are booming. Even down Penn past Eastern Market there is good food shopping, etc.

Living in VA a lot of the criminal activity is DC and MD getting in and out fast using the Wilson Bridge.

I've lived in NOVA for over 4 years now (2 years in Manassas, ~2.5 in Arlington). I love it. Big city life and short drives to other cities (Baltimore, Philly, Richmond). I currently live in the Glencarlyn neighborhood, right between Glebe (Ballston neighborhood) and Columbia Pike.

TexanMark What was it that sold him on DC? I would imagine he could get the same things in Arlington with shorter commutes and less sketch. Parts of U Street are insane at night, particularly weekends. Huge college kid bar/club scene.

I've lived in NOVA for over 4 years now (2 years in Manassas, ~2.5 in Arlington). I love it. Big city life and short drives to other cities (Baltimore, Philly, Richmond). I currently live in the Glencarlyn neighborhood, right between Glebe (Ballston neighborhood) and Columbia Pike.

TexanMark What was it that sold him on DC? I would imagine he could get the same things in Arlington with shorter commutes and less sketch. Parts of U Street are insane at night, particularly weekends. Huge college kid bar/club scene.

I think most kids in their 20s would rather be in or around U Street as opposed to NOVA. Same with being in Chicago (say Wicker Park) as opposed to Evanston or Skokie. I mean it would’ve been a no brainer for me if I had those options 15 years ago. Yeah those few blocks around U Street/13th are a huge party zone at night. Gets real busy around there at night on the weekends. Perfect for chasing tail and turning Tinder/Bumble into a gold mine.

Last edited:

He is single (so there is one answer) and he also fancies himself as a part time DJ and wants to be near the city for gigs.

He is single (so there is one answer) and he also fancies himself as a part time DJ and wants to be near the city for gigs.

That makes sense. Huge DJ/EDM (Electronic Dance Music) scene in DC. As long as he can deal with traffic, he'll love it here. This area offers pretty much everything.

That makes sense. Huge DJ/EDM (Electronic Dance Music) scene in DC. As long as he can deal with traffic, he'll love it here. This area offers pretty much everything.
Yes...he loves doing EDM...but realized he had to work up to that...start off spinning Top 40. He has made some EDM tracks...he moves like Rony Seikley when working the board.

I think most kids in their 20s would rather be in or around U Street as opposed to NOVA. Same with being in Chicago (say Wicker Park) as opposed to Evanston or Skokie. I mean it would’ve been a no brainer for me if I had those options 15 years ago. Yeah those few blocks around U Street/13th are a huge party zone at night. Gets real busy around there at night on the weekends. Perfect for chasing tail and turning Tinder/Bumble into a gold mine.

I mean, I get it. I'm in my 20's (admittedly don't hit clubs as often anymore). The crazy bar scene around me is in the Clarendon neighborhood. All of the drunken debauchery with less questionable characters. One upside to DC for the late night clubbers is that DC bars are open until 3AM as opposed to 2AM in VA. I strongly considered moving into the city, but getting in and out of DC is difficult. I work in Reston right now, so from where I live now my daily commute is already 35-50 minutes each way.

Yes...he loves doing EDM...but realized he had to work up to that...start off spinning Top 40. He has made some EDM tracks...he moves like Rony Seikley when working the board.

Let me know if you hear about him having any shows. I'll bring some people out to support him.

I mean, I get it. I'm in my 20's (admittedly don't hit clubs as often anymore). The crazy bar scene around me is in the Clarendon neighborhood. All of the drunken debauchery with less questionable characters. One upside to DC for the late night clubbers is that DC bars are open until 3AM as opposed to 2AM in VA. I strongly considered moving into the city, but getting in and out of DC is difficult. I work in Reston right now, so from where I live now my daily commute is already 35-50 minutes each way.

Silver Line from the Clarendon Metro should be a piece of cake. My office is in Clarendon, I escape quickly but from what little I've seen nice little bar and dinner scene.

Leesburg is Paris when compared to Manassas which was another suggestion.

Manassas isn't that bad. I really liked the area. The biggest issue is that there are literally two roads in and out of there and they are parking lots during rush hour. My daily commute when I lived there was like an hour and fifteen minutes each way, minimum.

Silver Line from the Clarendon Metro should be a piece of cake. My office is in Clarendon, I escape quickly but from what little I've seen nice little bar and dinner scene.

Closest Metro stop to me is actually Ballston, but I would have to bus to it and then take a shuttle from the metro stop in Reston to my job. In most cases driving is faster because I don't tend to drive during peak rush hour and opposite of the really bad traffic. A lot of the people I work with between 22-30 live in that Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse area.

I lived in Clarendon/Court House in the 2001-2003 range. Frequented the area in the years leading up to that while living in North Arlington.

The Clarendon that I lived in back then is completely and utterly unrecognizable from the Clarendon today.

Even El Pollo Rico was outcast to Virginia Square.

DC has become project after project. Have you been to the new District Wharf that just opened in Southwest? Outside of some of the colorful bar stools of Cantina Marina, it's also unrecognizable.

So many things to do now, I can't afford the babysitter fees to keep up and try everything.

Manassas isn't that bad. I really liked the area. The biggest issue is that there are literally two roads in and out of there and they are parking lots during rush hour. My daily commute when I lived there was like an hour and fifteen minutes each way, minimum.

If you like it, fine. Different strokes ...

But it would be near the bottom of any list I could come up with. Flat, sandy soil, generally treeless, consisting of roads filled with gas stations, fast food places, auto parts stores, etc. This is the fringe of the Metro area where it rubs up against the rest of (Red Neck) Virginia. Other than a performing arts center and a Civil War Battlefield, I can't think of any positives.

But I'm sure that it's a fine place to live for people. Housing costs are low, I think. Certainly is convenient to food shopping.

I can easily see 1:15 hrs on 66 in the morning to DC. I've never been on 66 when there wasn't a lot of traffic.

I lived in Clarendon/Court House in the 2001-2003 range. Frequented the area in the years leading up to that while living in North Arlington.

The Clarendon that I lived in back then is completely and utterly unrecognizable from the Clarendon today.

Even El Pollo Rico was outcast to Virginia Square.

DC has become project after project. Have you been to the new District Wharf that just opened in Southwest? Outside of some of the colorful bar stools of Cantina Marina, it's also unrecognizable.

So many things to do now, I can't afford the babysitter fees to keep up and try everything.

They literally never stop building around here. Ballston area has changed so much just in the last 2.5 years I've lived around here. I've never seen entire cities gentrifying, but we're having a big issue with affordable housing options for low-income families in most of the Metro area.

Yes. Definitely more of that “questionable” potential around parts of U Street late at night on weekends. I’m going to make it a point to check out Clarendon/Arlington next time. Have heard great things. I go to DC and Wolf Trap for work a few times a year and for a few weeks every summer so need to explore more.