OT: Naming rights | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Naming rights

But, but Carrier's not a "household" name and not a consumer type product that people easily identify with, etc.

If no one would buy the rights, SU would not care about getting Carrier to relinquish them. The name is valuable and there are people who would want to pay. Broadcasters and SU start using the new name and over time, people follow.
Agree there is clearly value in the naming right to the facility.

I think the locals call the facility the Dome and whatever happens in the future, that will continue.

I think if a company pays big bucks for naming rights (or to continue to have the name), the value is in having your company name constantly displayed on national TV and referenced by announcers on broadcasts dozens of times every year. The dome is unique for college facilities as it is used by 5 sports, all televised regularly (football, mens and womens lacrosse, mens and womens basketball). It also gets publicity for hosting other events, ranging from monster trucks, to concerts to HS football and basketball games, SU softball games and even a Mets practice later this month. With the advent of air conditioning, use of the facility will only increase.

It is unique. If you want to have your name associated with college sports via a naming gift, this is the place to spend your money.

How a bromance between Jim Boeheim, Adam Weitsman created Syracuse’s most visible fan

He’s had discussions with the school regarding the Carrier Dome’s naming rights and the idea of getting his business attached in some way as part of a branding effort. He doesn’t think it’s likely that the school can get out of its contract with Carrier, which provides the air-conditioning company the naming rights “in perpetuity.”

I don't think it will be the Carrier Dome by 2022-23. I'd bet money.

I don't think it will be the Carrier Dome by 2022-23. I'd bet money.
So many ways to get out of it, whether you call it "naming rights" or philanthropy (it has aspects of both). For starters, you could change the building. You could sell a bunch of other names associated with the building, team or school that would obscure it. If they fight it, "perpetuity" is a tough sell in the Courts.

Last edited:
If feel like this conversation has happened to dead horse levels. But I’m of the belief that the way it was named is cut and dry. You wouldn’t change Carnegie Library, or any other building with a name on it.
That said, I’m with you. The Wegmans Carrier Dome. The Weitsman Carrier Dome. The United States Navy Aircraft Carrier Dome. See what I did there?
Gotta be Wegmans. As they expand their footprint, having Wegmans said on TV over and over will help

So many ways to get out of it, whether you call it "naming rights" or philanthropy (it has aspects of both). For starters, you could change the building. You could sell a bunch of other names associated with the building, team or school that would obscure it. If they fight it, "perpetuity" is a tough sell in the Courts.

Ding, ding, ding.

Can it be challenged that the “new” building is a Dome?

Ding, ding, ding.

Can it be challenged that the “new” building is a Dome?
Anything can be challenged if you can make a cogent argument. I have not seen the agreement, which of course would be controlling. SU's been in negotiations with UT. We've certainly been over it on this board with many contributing opinions. Most hope that a mutually agreeable solution can be worked out that provides more balanced value but still respects the spirit of the bargain.

Last edited: