OT: New Restaurants/Bars in Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: New Restaurants/Bars in Cuse

Any of the new restaurants out by Costco worth mentioning?

Ok...you guys realize what my hidden agenda was?

Have some updates to do:

http://texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com/2015/01/syracuse-tailgate-and-visitors-guide-15.html

Hey Mark, not sure if you have it in your guide, but "Darwin on Clinton" is a great sandwich shop. It has a rotating menu and every sandwich I've tried has been fantastic. I'm pretty sure the owner runs another restaurant in town. Darwin's is only open for lunch I believe, but it was one of my go-to stops while interning downtown the past two summers. Their Buffalo Mac & Cheese is also fantastic. A lot of the food is locally sourced; the bread comes from Pasta's bakery along with Di Lauros.

http://www.darwinonclinton.com

Edit: It is a small little place with limited inside seating but there are some tables and a little area to eat outside if necessary.

Last edited:

Mo's Pit BBQ is one exit farther out. I've only been once, but I was impressed (pulled pork, catfish, burger).

Let's keep it to the last few years.

I'll open up with something new that is something old

Clark's will be on my list to visit this summer. Where else can you get a $1.50 Genny Cream Ale? 35 taps and that Roast Beef Sandwich.

How does the new roll compare to the old one?

http://www.syracuse.com/restaurants/index.ssf/2016/01/clarks_ale_house_syracuse_dining_review.html

So what else is out there downtown, Armory, Wescott, Destiny, the Burbs?
Clarks is a shell of it's former self. It's not really in Armory anymore but rather on the outskirts. The roast beef was a disappointment. The meat was too rare and actually mushy, I don't know what they did with the old horseradish but the new stuff tastes like something between Kraft and Zatarans. The old stuff used to make me cry just smelling it. I was literally spreading it on my sandwich like mayo just to taste it. Sure it's great having all those beers on tap but it's not 1998 anymore, everyone has 15+ beers on tap now.

Hey Mark, not sure if you have it in your guide, but "Darwin on Clinton" is a great sandwich shop. It has a rotating menu and every sandwich I've tried has been fantastic. I'm pretty sure the owner runs another restaurant in town. Darwin's is only open for lunch I believe, but it was one of my go-to stops while interning downtown the past two summers. Their Buffalo Mac & Cheese is also fantastic. A lot of the food is locally sourced; the bread comes from Pasta's bakery along with Di Lauros.

http://www.darwinonclinton.com

Edit: It is a small little place with limited inside seating but there are some tables and a little area to eat outside if necessary.

Great place, partner in the joint is Terry Riley of Riley's on Park Street.

They had a sandwich called the "Midnight Train to Georgia" that was fantastic. Fresh warm sliced rare roast beef, deep fried thin sliced battered red onions, horseradish mayo and cheese on Pasta's stretch bread...awesome!

My second favorite behind Sammy Malone's in B'ville is the Tusk's Roast Beef and Stilton.

Darwins is easily the best sandwich in Syracuse, problem is its only open during lunch hours M-F

Hey Mark, will your 2016 guide include all the ACC cities?
Too busy this year...I hope to get Cuse and all our ACC Road Trip cities done.

Yup. I saw the video last week. 17 seconds. Almost fictional for 2 liters!! I've been there 3 different times for Friends birthdays and the free boot of beer. It gets a little warm towards the end. Great place.

I've gotta see this. I tried googling and can't seem to find it. Any chance you could link me to it? Thanks.

I've gotta see this. I tried googling and can't seem to find it. Any chance you could link me to it? Thanks.
It was on the bartender's iPhone at the Biergarten.

Maxwell's in Hannover Square Is a good spot for a drink with good food. replaced Elbow room and is opening the restaurant side that used to be Anthony's now.

TexanMark said:
Yeah Ive stopped out there several times when headed out that way for work meetings. Definately more options since T5 opened. My report for that area.

Winner so far is definately Mesa Grande mexican in that T5 complex sounds like a big chain but its a locally owned place with 3 loc total. Tried it and asked some questions: they fresh prep all sauces and toppings and in house smoke, roast and grill the meat for their burritos and tacos, yes smoked. Casual counter service burrito shop setup, big tables, not surprisingly, for open seating . Worth a Stop.

Unsolicited Burrito Review: Mesa is head and shoulders above chains like Moes and is def above chipotle. My opinion so far locally it comes in just below Otro Cinco, and Above Alto (iknow). Which if no one mentioned in this thread Alto Cinco opened another shop downtown on Warren St (otro = other) different menu txmex instead of Calimex approach. Mighty Taco is deceptively good but be ready it is kinda like the best taco bell style mex not next gen Mexican burrito shops but instead good fast food.

Mo's pit BBQ mentioned by others near by to T5 is definately worth a try, small zero frills place, but super nice people and good food, I like their BBQ Sandwiches, one comes with fries on it like a Pittsburgh horseshoe.

In T5 The Bistro was good food upscale bar setting, more sit down than take out. Had just opened Next to BuffWW.

In T5 The Habachi grill Japanesee was good the time I had it seemed like a nice well decorated spot maybe a date night spot with sushi chefs working away, seemed good sized. Sushi and cooked Japaneese food for those not ready for sushi. Only had it once got a variety box, wasn't NYC sushi, but Sushi and Katsu pork Curry were tasty, has a lunch menu also which they can prep for takeout but not their primary approach.

Krabby Kirk's village of camillus pretty good food, BBQ and some different menu options good bar/sitdown.

Wildcat Pizza of Trappers local chain is nearby in the home depot plaza has good pizza and a variety of sandwiches.

Interesting to hear all the changes to former bars/restaurants. And glad they're keeping a good number of upscale restaurants, helps when I try to convince my wife to take one of these trips back to the homeland. There's only so many trips to Kitty Hoynes she can handle without throwing a nice meal into the equation.

Westcott Street, hadn't thought about that neighborhood in awhile. Many a happy hour at the Orange Grove/East LA back in the day. Looks like it's a diner now.

Yeah Ive stopped out there several times when headed out that way for work meetings. Definately more options since T5 opened. My report for that area.

Winner so far is definately Mesa Grande mexican in that T5 complex sounds like a big chain but its a locally owned place with 3 loc total. Tried it and asked some questions: they fresh prep all sauces and toppings and in house smoke, roast and grill the meat for their burritos and tacos, yes smoked. Casual counter service burrito shop setup, big tables, not surprisingly, for open seating . Worth a Stop.

Unsolicited Burrito Review: Mesa is head and shoulders above chains like Moes and is def above chipotle. My opinion so far locally it comes in just below Otro Cinco, and Above Alto (iknow). Which if no one mentioned in this thread Alto Cinco opened another shop downtown on Warren St (otro = other) different menu txmex instead of Calimex approach. Mighty Taco is deceptively good but be ready it is kinda like the best taco bell style mex not next gen Mexican burrito shops but instead good fast food.

Mo's pit BBQ mentioned by others near by to T5 is definately worth a try, small zero frills place, but super nice people and good food, I like their BBQ Sandwiches, one comes with fries on it like a Pittsburgh horseshoe.

In T5 The Bistro was good food upscale bar setting, more sit down than take out. Had just opened Next to BuffWW.

In T5 The Habachi grill Japanesee was good the time I had it seemed like a nice well decorated spot maybe a date night spot with sushi chefs working away, seemed good sized. Sushi and cooked Japaneese food for those not ready for sushi. Only had it once got a variety box, wasn't NYC sushi, but Sushi and Katsu pork Curry were tasty, has a lunch menu also which they can prep for takeout but not their primary approach.

Krabby Kirk's village of camillus pretty good food, BBQ and some different menu options good bar/sitdown.

Wildcat Pizza of Trappers local chain is nearby in the home depot plaza has good pizza and a variety of sandwiches.
You are SPOT ON with both Mesa grande and wildcat. Very good Mexican and pizza respectively.

On a side note, my son moved into an apartment within walking distance of the Limp Lizard on Onondaga. Went and got take out. WORST food I have ever eaten . The brisket was like turkey bacon and the Mac was literally Kraft noodles. Never again

Westcott Street, hadn't thought about that neighborhood in awhile. Many a happy hour at the Orange Grove/East LA back in the day. Looks like it's a diner now.
I still dream about Butch's Pizza in the Wescott area. I am probably dating myself, but does anyone else remember Butch's? Great crust, good toppings, and sauce with a bit of a kick.

Apologies to TexanMark for hijacking the thread.