OT. Post your pet pic | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

OT. Post your pet pic

January 5, 2017

Dear Orange Friends:

Lucky, our almost 18-year-old dog, passed away just before the holidays. She adopted my family after being abandoned in a parking lot in Hendersonville, Tennessee, in 1999. Many hundreds of Syracuse University students, faculty, staff, and friends have gotten to know her over the past three years in our house and in the neighborhood. She never met a person she did not like.

Animals are unique, and Lucky was no exception: she patrolled the house every night to make sure each of us (and our house guests) was still breathing; she was deathly afraid of water; she did not care what people looked like, except that she was especially attached to anyone who had tools and worked in any way in our house or on campus. She is deeply missed.

I used to think folks who talked with and about their pets needed more time with people. Lucky taught me I was wrong; she brought people together. No doubt another dog will adopt us eventually. I’m just grateful Lucky did so.

upload_2017-1-5_16-42-27.png

Sincerely,

Chancellor Kent Syverud

I have 3 dogs. All rescues. 2 of them were found as puppies on the side of the road down in South Carolina. Not sure if they are related or not. The pitbull mix came from the NYC Animal Care and Control in East Harlem. That is a terrible place. Lots of good dogs are put down there for no reason other than lack of space.

20161215_190414.jpg

Here is a picture of my wife and her puppy Ben. He is a New Year's baby and this picture was taken at our lake house on his 1st b-day. Even at 140 pounds he is the sweetest dog we've ever owned.View attachment 86155
Oh wow what kind of dog is that? He's is majestic.

We had a dog we named Indy that we sold about 20 years ago and Indy is a unique name.
Indy was also the name of my Rhodesian Ridgeback's Mom (Rooyen - in my avatar).

My boy will be 13 in a few months. Doing as well as possible for a large breed of his age. Our younger one, Adia keeps him spry.

O
629841.jpg
556469.jpg

Last edited:
He is a Bullmastiff. It is a great breed. We got Ben from a reputable breeder which is very important.
Of course it is a great breed because it comes down the genetic trail from our favorite dogs the English Mastiff! :p

He is a Bullmastiff. It is a great breed. We got Ben from a reputable breeder which is very important.
Hey RMH...I got a great mastiff story for you.

My wife volunteers at Animal Humane. So a few years ago she was walking through the kennel, and she hears a dog crying it's heart out. The dog was a mastiff named Malia. Turns out that the people at intake said when the owner turned her in, they said it was the most heart wrenching surrender they had ever seen. The gentlemen was moving and the new apartment would not accept pets.

So anyways, Malia was making such a fuss, that my wife was conecrned that she would be put down for disrupting the kennel, so we decided to foster the poor girl to try and help with her transition. Anyways, Malia, was sweet as could be, but she was quite the escape artist. First day we left her at home we left her in a big xpen. Well, I get back to the house & there is Malia greeting me at the door along with my dogs. She had simply bulled her way through & knocked over the xpen. Of course, it is always a concern to leave a new dog alone with our dogs. So, next day when we leave the house, we crate her. It was one of those crates that folds in on the ends. Unbelieveably, I get home that night and there is Malia greeting me again. How she escaped that crate is still a mystery to me to this day. So, anyways, we try to make her heal from her loss of owner. She was really no trouble except that she drank water like crazy & did severe drooling into the water bowl, after which my dogs would not drink from that bowl. Other than that she was just a sweet ol girl, but you could tell her heart was still with her original owner.

Anyways, we had dear Malia for a couple of weeks, and then it was time to bring her back to the kennel. Turns out her original owner couldn't bear to be wo her. He checked every day, and once Malia appeared on the for adoption list at the website he zoomed in to get her.

What could say more about the love and loyalty in that dog and presumably her breed between dog and human.

Hey RMH...I got a great mastiff story for you.

My wife volunteers at Animal Humane. So a few years ago she was walking through the kennel, and she hears a dog crying it's heart out. The dog was a mastiff named Malia. Turns out that the people at intake said when the owner turned her in, they said it was the most heart wrenching surrender they had ever seen. The gentlemen was moving and the new apartment would not accept pets.

So anyways, Malia was making such a fuss, that my wife was conecrned that she would be put down for disrupting the kennel, so we decided to foster the poor girl to try and help with her transition. Anyways, Malia, was sweet as could be, but she was quite the escape artist. First day we left her at home we left her in a big xpen. Well, I get back to the house & there is Malia greeting me at the door along with my dogs. She had simply bulled her way through & knocked over the xpen. Of course, it is always a concern to leave a new dog alone with our dogs. So, next day when we leave the house, we crate her. It was one of those crates that folds in on the ends. Unbelieveably, I get home that night and there is Malia greeting me again. How she escaped that crate is still a mystery to me to this day. So, anyways, we try to make her heal from her loss of owner. She was really no trouble except that she drank water like crazy & did severe drooling into the water bowl, after which my dogs would not drink from that bowl. Other than that she was just a sweet ol girl, but you could tell her heart was still with her original owner.

Anyways, we had dear Malia for a couple of weeks, and then it was time to bring her back to the kennel. Turns out her original owner couldn't bear to be wo her. He checked every day, and once Malia appeared on the for adoption list at the website he zoomed in to get her.

What could say more about the love and loyalty in that dog and presumably her breed between dog and human.
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

We're been lucky with drooling thing. Ben doesn't seem to drool as much as I expected. My wife insists that we hit the dog lottery ;-)

Get that girl a Sealy. Serta...Posturpedic. Somethin, man!
Oh and nice Styx name. :)
She has two! Both larger than she needs, but loves the comfort of the cat's bed

Joe and Lorelei.jpg

First time Joe, our cat, and Lorelei, our dog, cuddled for the first time. Clearly both love the fireplace enough to put aside any inborn differences they may have had. Shocked the whole family when this happened.

Bruno. 13.5 years old.

Just opened that photo on my 20+ inch screen here at the office. His face is spectacular. I'm laughing so hard right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom