OT question for my builder friends | Syracusefan.com

OT question for my builder friends

PhatOrange

Living Legend
I’m going to do a screen porch off the back of my house. Am thinking about doing a T&G ceiling. Question if I want that open ceiling look and I nail the T&G on top of my rafters how do I roof over the T&G? Obviously don’t want roofing nails coming through the exposed ceiling. Firring strips over T&G, then sheathing, then roofing? Or T&G, 5/8 sheathing and < 1 inch roofing nails? Other ways/ideas?

Make sense?

I’m going to do a screen porch off the back of my house. Am thinking about doing a T&G ceiling. Question if I want that open ceiling look and I nail the T&G on top of my rafters how do I roof over the T&G? Obviously don’t want roofing nails coming through the exposed ceiling. Firring strips over T&G, then sheathing, then roofing? Or T&G, 5/8 sheathing and < 1 inch roofing nails? Other ways/ideas?

Make sense?

I would use furring strips on the rafters with T&G below (between rafters) and plywood above. I'd also recommend adding trim around the rafter for a cleaner look.

I did a sketch so it made sense but apparently I can't (or, don't know how to) upload it.

I would use furring strips on the rafters with T&G below (between rafters) and plywood above. I'd also recommend adding trim around the rafter for a cleaner look.

I did a sketch so it made sense but apparently I can't (or, don't know how to) upload it.
Try the upload a file option. Did you try and it didn't work?

So you're going for something like this...
494393_0557500.jpg

Called an open beam vaulted ceiling.

I'm by no means a roofing expert, but I've been involved in a few projects of this nature. Unless the T&G is 3/4 or thicker, I wouldn't imagine that you'd want to use it as the base for your roof . If the T&G is 1/2 or less, you'll want to lay a plywood (5/8 or 3/4) base on top of the T&G (1/2)...then the tar-paper...then the shingle.

If done properly with a 3/4 or 1 inch nail (along with the correct air pressure on the guns), you shouldn't see the nail penetrate through the T&G.

But if the T&G is thick enough, you may be able to get away with using it on its own without nail penetration (using a 3/4 nail). The trick is nail length. Standard 1-1/4 nails won't work.

Check this thread http://www.roofing.com/forum/what-size-roofing-nail-t9428.html

didn't think to look down there - here it is

Yes thanks for the detail. I don't think I like that idea with putting the t&g between the rafters, it's more work and I'd need a million furring strips. Really like the idea of wrapping my rafters though that way I can use standard 2x and nicer wood to wrap.

I’m going to entertain some quotes but I’ll probably end up doing it myself.

After reading that roofing forum I'll probably go with t&g covered with the 5/8 sheathing like I was originally thinking...should be plenty of bite for a 1" roofing nail. I'll go with 3/4 sheathing if I have to use a 1 1/4 inch nail.

Here are a couple of pics for the ceiling look I’m after:

download

download

download

download

Yes thanks for the detail. I don't think I like that idea with putting the t&g between the rafters, it's more work and I'd need a million furring strips. Really like the idea of wrapping my rafters though that way I can use standard 2x and nicer wood to wrap.

I’m going to entertain some quotes but I’ll probably end up doing it myself.

After reading that roofing forum I'll probably go with t&g covered with the 5/8 sheathing like I was originally thinking...should be plenty of bite for a 1" roofing nail. I'll go with 3/4 sheathing if I have to use a 1 1/4 inch nail.

Here are a couple of pics for the ceiling look I’m after:

download

download

download

download
The nails should go 3/4 inch into solid wood decking or 1/8 inch through plywood sheathing. So the two layers you want to do would work fine in that scenario.

Don't forget the 3-in-1 oil and ball-bearings.

It's all ball-bearings these days, you know...

The nails should go 3/4 inch into solid wood decking or 1/8 inch through plywood sheathing. So the two layers you want to do would work fine in that scenario.

Was also told I could just use a 2x t&g decking and roof right to that

Don't forget the 3-in-1 oil and ball-bearings.

It's all ball-bearings these days, you know...
Don't forget the gauze pads and the antifreeze. Preferably Prestone... no, make that Quaker State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom