OT: Question for people who have attended games at Duke | Syracusefan.com

OT: Question for people who have attended games at Duke

Eric15

Living Legend
I was strongly considering going to the SU/Duke game at Cameron Indoor with my son on January 22nd. I fully expected the tickets to be expensive since it's such a small arena. Clearly, I was naive, but I thought the cheapest seats would maybe be in the $150-200 range.

The cheapest tickets on StubHub are $1129 apiece and the cheapest on Ticketmaster are $1271 apiece.

What am I missing here? Do people here who have attended games at Cameron seriously spend the equivalent of a mortgage payment on tickets?

A little higher than normal, but it seems about right. Tickets were 750 two years ago.

It has been a few years since "Amazing, it was Amazing" win at Duke but I remember our tickets that night were $800-$900 each. As an earlier person posted, it could be due to Coach K's last season.

I don't think there was a game this season that was not inflated due to Coach K's last season. We were at game Tyler Roberson's sophomore year where he had a double double when we beat Duke at Cameron... tickets were around $250-300 each but most were going for over $500. I think they only way you find $150-200 would have been for an exhibition game this year.

Little off topic, but anyone know how many tickets players get for away games.I guess what I’m wondering is can they or their parents sell the tickets they get?

I was strongly considering going to the SU/Duke game at Cameron Indoor with my son on January 22nd. I fully expected the tickets to be expensive since it's such a small arena. Clearly, I was naive, but I thought the cheapest seats would maybe be in the $150-200 range.

The cheapest tickets on StubHub are $1129 apiece and the cheapest on Ticketmaster are $1271 apiece.

What am I missing here? Do people here who have attended games at Cameron seriously spend the equivalent of a mortgage payment on tickets?

Makes sense -- limited seating + high demand = higher prices

Hot take: the Smith Center is the premier place to watch a basketball game in the state of NC.
Hot, for sure. I went there a couple years ago and it was... fine. Nothing particularly special about that place, other than that UNC plays there.

Hot, for sure. I went there a couple years ago and it was... fine. Nothing particularly special about that place, other than that UNC plays there.
Fair enough. Haven’t been there in a long time. The size of the arena/crowds, atmosphere, sight lines, layout(all the blue, the banners and retired jerseys hanging, the giant state of NC on the court, band, etc.) made it an impressive place to me.

Ever since I moved to NC a few years ago, I would watch Stubhub like a hawk for those games. I nearly pulled the trigger for $250 in 2019 for a single ticket, but didn't have enough faith in Cuse to pay that $$$. Big regret since it was one of our most memorable recent wins

In most normal years, tickets were around the $600 range

As other's mentioned, it will be more expensive this year because of Coach K leaving

While there would be no better feeling than beating Coach K in Cameron during his final year, it will be equally worse to spend $1000 and lose by 25 points

Fair enough. Haven’t been there in a long time. The size of the arena/crowds, atmosphere, sight lines, layout(all the blue, the banners and retired jerseys hanging, the giant state of NC on the court, band, etc.) made it an impressive place to me.
All of that is cool, no doubt, and I enjoyed the game there. I've probably become blase towards arena/crowd size having seen so many games at the Dome. No venue can compare to that! It did feel a little worn to me, probably could use some renovating in some areas. As much as I loathe Duke, there is something unique about Cameron -- even if it is a band box where a pompous jerk coaches.

Yes it's crazy, but that is in the right ballpark to get in the door. When I went a few years ago in was in that range for the worst seat in the house. Luckily I was not the one paying.

1. Carmichael Arena
2. PNC Arena
3. Lawrence Joel Coliseum
4. Smith Center

5. Cameron gymnasium.

I spent around $800 for "the Jacket" game :)

Originally the seats were behind one of the backboards. But the agent from VividSeats gave a better seat...

I spent around $800 for "the Jacket" game :)

Originally the seats were behind one of the backboards. But the agent from VividSeats gave a better seat...
That was my first & only Cameron indoor experience as well (a friend & I were given tickets through a connection in the SU ticket office!), up back behind the basket too... here'a video I took of the block/charge shenanigans:

It's worth going just so you can say you've done it, but I'm not sure non-Duke fans would be overly impressed. I sat behind the visiting bench when I was there and it was pretty hard to see the action when it was at the other end of the court. The students were kind of annoying because it felt like they were just doing the schtick that was expected of them because it's been done for years. Best part is you can get from the entrance to your seat (and back out) in about a minute.

The game I attended was not an SU game, but there people there in SU gear anyway!

Little off topic, but anyone know how many tickets players get for away games.I guess what I’m wondering is can they or their parents sell the tickets they get?
That would be totally illegal and an NCAA violation. In order to prevent it, "player tickets" and "coaches tickets" have to be picked up (with an ID) at a special "players will-call" table at game time. And once you pick them up, you are immediately ushered through a turnstile where your ticket is scanned .., and then you immediately enter the arena proper. In other words, those tickets are never really in your control.

As to attending a game at Duke, all Cameron has going for it is its "mystique." For visiting fans, it is a pretty bad venue. Seats are squished together and difficult to access, rest rooms are hard to find, and concessions leave much to be desired. I am glad I did it once (the "jacket game"), but I have no desire to do it again.

Last edited:
I was in Virginia by chance the year we played them when they won the title with Jabari. There was nobody selling tickets outside. Maybe 10 people looking. There was one guy waiting to meet someone buying his extra and about 5 of us were begging him to sell it to them. I think I got it off him for 300 and luckily didn't drive out of my way 10 hours to not get in. No need to return unless I had a good seat.

Agree with CTO. Overrated arena itself my sightlines were awful in the corner 2nd to last row a banner blocked the basket at the other end just stupid must have been even worse for the folks behind me. I don't think there is anything cool about intentionally having a tiny venue its like if Fenway were 10k capacity and not 38k capacity or Lambeau Field only seating 25k instead of 65k.

The concourses itself weren't as crammed/bad they had some dumb but massive Duke museum annex'd on to it bigger than anything of the kind I've seen at any sports venue anywhere filled with every significant piece of Duke hoops memorabilia imaginable.

I do like the Raleigh Durham triangle area though.

Wonder if they’ll renovate or build a new basketball stadium after Coach K retires? Will much of that mystique start disappearing?