Class of 2014 - OT Ricky Doyle | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OT Ricky Doyle

SWFLCUSE

All Conference
I recently worked at a prospect camp down at the local university and the pleasure to really get to know a player from a local school, and I think he could be a BCS type player. I wanted to get some opinions from some of you guys who are better at breaking down film.

He is 6'7 250 and averaged 15.2 ppg 8.6 rpg, and 3 bpg and just finished up his sophomore. His dad says hes been offered by BC, Purdue, and Creighton.

Feel free to criticize because I will be working with him again in a week and a half and would love to be able to pass along a few tips.

He looks like a good prospect. I am no expert, but he showed some moves down low and finished with both hands. He has some Billy Curley to him. If he grows to 6'9", I think he could be a solid high major prospect. Again, I am obviously no expert, but you can tell by the moves, the kid has put in some work in the gym and with continued effort, I think we will be hearing his name.

Wow, if he gets to seven feet, he will be a monster.

He looks like a good prospect. I am no expert, but he showed some moves down low and finished with both hands. He has some Billy Curley to him. If he grows to 6'9", I think he could be a solid high major prospect. Again, I am obviously no expert, but you can tell by the moves, the kid has put in some work in the gym and with continued effort, I think we will be hearing his name.

i was like 8 when billy curley played at bc. i hated him and providence just as much as i hated gtown back then.

and donyell marshall.

Nice video. I will say, I disagree this is off topic. Fun to talk about prospects. Let me give you my take.

Positives:

He plays a lot different than he looks. At first glance, looks unathletic, maybe a little lazy. But from the tape, plays with good energy, has good athleticism, and looks like he enjoys playing the game. Appears to have good defensive instincts. Looks to have a solid mid-range jumper, but would need to see more. Most of his baskets were dunks and layups.

Negatives:

Not overly explosive when he jumps, and appears to have a slow first and second step. Might want to work on those. The more explosive he gets when jumping and taking his first step, the more major programs will look at "potential." Also, his upper body could use some definition which would create the appearance of having more strength inside.

Final Thoughts:

Looks like he has some potential. It's hard to tell from only a highlight video. Would have to watch an entire game. Given that he's going against kids that are smaller and weaker than him, you look for things like footwork, aggression, and basketball IQ. He seems to be solid in those areas, but I would work on what I mentioned in my negatives above. As of right now, he looks to be a solid mid-major prospect. Maybe a Butler or George Mason type of kid who can develop into a really nice player for them. However, if he improves his strength, and works on his quickness/explosiveness, he could be a three-star major prospect. I would have to see an entire game to get a better feel, however. A suggestion would be to work on his jumper and include more clips with those in there to show he's an all around player. Hard to get a grasp on his ball handling in the video.

Hope that helps!

Nice video. I will say, I disagree this is off topic. Fun to talk about prospects. Let me give you my take.

Positives:

He plays a lot different than he looks. At first glance, looks unathletic, maybe a little lazy. But from the tape, plays with good energy, has good athleticism, and looks like he enjoys playing the game. Appears to have good defensive instincts. Looks to have a solid mid-range jumper, but would need to see more. Most of his baskets were dunks and layups.

Negatives:

Not overly explosive when he jumps, and appears to have a slow first and second step. Might want to work on those. The more explosive he gets when jumping and taking his first step, the more major programs will look at "potential." Also, his upper body could use some definition which would create the appearance of having more strength inside.

Final Thoughts:

Looks like he has some potential. It's hard to tell from only a highlight video. Would have to watch an entire game. Given that he's going against kids that are smaller and weaker than him, you look for things like footwork, aggression, and basketball IQ. He seems to be solid in those areas, but I would work on what I mentioned in my negatives above. As of right now, he looks to be a solid mid-major prospect. Maybe a Butler or George Mason type of kid who can develop into a really nice player for them. However, if he improves his strength, and works on his quickness/explosiveness, he could be a three-star major prospect. I would have to see an entire game to get a better feel, however. A suggestion would be to work on his jumper and include more clips with those in there to show he's an all around player. Hard to get a grasp on his ball handling in the video.

Hope that helps!
That will defiantly help big time, his team will be competing with teams from all across the state of Florida in our camp in a few weeks. FWIW he played in the city of palms tournament this year and averaged 15 points and 7 rebounds against some very solid competition.

That will defiantly help big time, his team will be competing with teams from all across the state of Florida in our camp in a few weeks. FWIW he played in the city of palms tournament this year and averaged 15 points and 7 rebounds against some very solid competition.
That's awesome. Keep me posted on his progress this summer. Let me know if he plays against Dakari Johnson as well and how he does. If he continues to progress I'd be happy to do an interview sometime.

Kid had very nice footwork. Not surprised he had a dad who is 7-0 [and presumably a former player], because this kid looked like he really knew how to handle himself down low. Seemed very advanced with his body control, secondary up fakes, etc. Agree with BleedOrange about the explosiveness, but this kid would be a nice player for a mid-major--and maybe even a higher ceiling than that. Hard to tell from a highlight reel, obviously got no feel for how he can defend, etc.

That's awesome. Keep me posted on his progress this summer. Let me know if he plays against Dakari Johnson as well and how he does. If he continues to progress I'd be happy to do an interview sometime.
I'll have an update on June 16th after the team camp he's playing at, I'm a counselor for it.

HE definitely has a pretty slow first step and looks a little akward when he drives but he was effective and created space for his shot. Also he looked like he played against guys a lot smaller then him. Would need to see how he does against guys that are his size or bigger.

I actually though when he dunked he was pretty explosive and dunked with ease for a guy only 6'7" that weighs 250lbs. If he is only a sophmore you have to imagine he will get stronger.

He also looks a lot bigger than 6'7" but maybe that's because everyone else was small. Yet he looked big to me when he was going up to the hoop.

He could definitely explode on to the scene if grows to 6'11"

Currently Doyle and his team Bishop Verot are battling South Miami and Antravious Simmons, with Simmons taking an early upper hand on Doyle, for anyone who doesn't remember Simmons he's the kid that tweeted he was Cuse bond about 4 months ago.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?w3iflk

Simmons dominated the game on both ends and his team moves on to the semifinals. After talking to Rickys dad he said that his son has picked up offers from Clemson and northwestern over the last week

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?amemf2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom