OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

And how do you recruit with a two year coach?
Portal and transfers.
Aka how most teams who are trying to win every year are doing it.
HS recruiting matters for instant impact. Kids aren’t sitting more than 1 year anymore without considering the portal.
I wouldn’t want Pitino but he would get the job done.

Last edited:
Um no. Compare what Missouri got accused of with and what Syracuse got accused of.
We got over-punished because Coach Boeheim couldn’t help himself in attacking the NCAA leadership and we are a private school. Our leadership did a terrible job handling the infractions the NCAA threw at us.

Snyder left college basketball because of what he did. Boeheim didn’t have to do that.
Not sure what Mizzou was accused of but our AD was part of a conspiracy to commit academic fraud and we blatantly ignored a bunch of failed drug tests. Do I think we/JB should have gotten totally hammered because of it? No, but it was serious stuff it wasn’t just kids making some YMCA cash

Um no. Compare what Missouri got accused of with and what Syracuse got accused of.
We got over-punished because Coach Boeheim couldn’t help himself in attacking the NCAA leadership and we are a private school. Our leadership did a terrible job handling the infractions the NCAA threw at us.

Snyder left college basketball because of what he did. Boeheim didn’t have to do that.
And let’s not forget about street agent Rob Johnson……

Not sure what Mizzou was accused of but our AD was part of a conspiracy to commit academic fraud and we blatantly ignored a bunch of failed drug tests. Do I think we/JB should have gotten totally hammered because of it? No, but it was serious stuff it wasn’t just kids making some YMCA cash
We had one player who was an English is a second language student commit an academic violation.
Syracuse didn’t follow its own drug testing standards which were stricter than the NCAA drug testing standards .
Finally we had a couple of athletes get paid for working at a local YMCA.

Syracuse got penalized way worse than any of those violations put together.
It’s because Coach Boeheim couldn’t help himself attacking the NCAA leadership and they got back at him.

No way we should have lost 9 scholarships for these violations and Coach losing 102 wins. The NCAA went way overboard because they could.

We had one player who was an English is a second language student commit an academic violation.
Syracuse didn’t follow its own drug testing standards which were stricter than the NCAA drug testing standards .
Finally we had a couple of athletes get paid for working at a local YMCA.

Syracuse got penalized way worse than any of those violations put together.
It’s because Coach Boeheim couldn’t help himself attacking the NCAA leadership and they got back at him.

No way we should have lost 9 scholarships for these violations and Coach losing 102 wins. The NCAA went way overboard because they could.
Oh I agree 100% that the NCAA completely overdid it in terms of their punishment, that was insane, especially compared to the so called punishments they have handed out since then. I just believe the Fab Melo and drug testing situations were more serious than us SU homers may want to think

Oh I agree 100% that the NCAA completely overdid it in terms of their punishment, that was insane, especially compared to the so called punishments they have handed out since then. I just believe the Fab Melo and drug testing situations were more serious than us SU homers may want to think

Drug tests were just marijuana weren’t they? Wasn’t PEDs or anything?

You realize the drug testing violations were that Syracuse wasn’t contacting the athletes that failed the tests parents and letting them know their child had failed a drug test.
It was a stupid violation if Syracuse didn’t even have those rules they wouldn’t have violated them. Again the NCAA got us on a technicality and they were looking to nail us because we pissed them off. They got us for a bunch of minor violations and then presented them as a major violation when they weren’t.
If we didn’t have the drug testing policy like a lot of colleges don’t have because they don’t want to know what their athletes are doing it’s a nothing burger.

Fab Melo’s violation was a violation but again it was tutor who should haven’t written the paper but sat down with him and made him write it with assistance which would have been legal. We got lazy and didn’t make the athlete do the work.
That isn’t worth a major violation I bet if I searched any major athletic department I could find a case of this stuff happening.

Our issues with the NCAA were completely overblown. Again Coach Boeheim’s surly attitude towards the NCAA was the biggest problem. If he would have played ball we don’t get hammered and he doesn’t lose all those wins.

Here in Phoenix, sat next to Mike Tirico, Cris Collinsworth and their family tnite (xmas eve) at Steak 44.

I know celebrities usually hate when people bother them at dinner but our backs were next to each other basically and we were leaving and I said go cuse and he turned around and we chatted a bit about the bball program, Jimmy and the University.

He said he thinks one more year for Jim and thinks JW will do a national search
And he’s on the BOT and is close with JB. So you gotta believe he knows what’s happening more than most folks.

Some more names to add to the list

Oates
Musselman
Holtmann
Chris Mack
Sean Miller
Danny Hurley
Shaka Smart
Mick Cronin - Maybe he wants to come back east
Lol, Mack, failed at L’ville, surely he’ll be successful here. Remove smart and Cronin and you have a decent list.

A lot of people want nothing to do with Red or GMAC, but I wonder who they realistically think SU can hire from the outside. No big time coach is coming to Syracuse. A search will lead to a mid level coach being hired. I’m not saying hiring from inside is the way to go, but if fans think a coach from a current Big 5 program is coming here, they are sadly mistaken.
I think you can get a guy like Mike Boynton. Oklahoma State has real challenges with recruiting, and they’re not in the SEC or Big 10. Or we could look for the next Danny Hurley (without the personality issues) who’s ready to take the next step from a mid major to a P5 and has great Northeast connections.

To be clear, I think Pitino is like a 2-3 year bridge.

He brings us back to relevance, we give him a shot to end his career at a major program in a major conference.

Win-win.
If pitino wanted to leave Iona, he would’ve already. Let’s not pretend Syracuse is acting on this in a vacuum.

I guess I just think that we shouldn’t be putting a lot of weight in who JB is friends with when we hire a new coach. While we’re at it, when we hired JB we played on a dirt floor, were a member of the ECAC and our peer programs were Canisius and Bonaventure. We don’t have to hold ourselves to 1977 standards.
Hiring one of Coach K's best players/coaches does not put us into 1977 standards. It does however continue the legacy and story of our HOFHC.

Guilty people blame everyone else. JB is a 2 time violator.
This is my belief about JB. I think he knew little of what was going on, at least during the second set of violations. It's not that I think he's stupid or insulates himself mob style. I just think he's vey hands off. And I don't mean that as an excuse for him. I think he's just as much at fault because of it. He needed to recognize that he had to be more of a micromanager, and I believe he chose not to simply because he didn't want that to be part of his job and was too stubborn to give in to the fact that it was.

I admit, I could be way off.

This is my belief about JB. I think he knew little of what was going on, at least during the second set of violations. It's not that I think he's stupid or insulates himself mob style. I just think he's vey hands off. And I don't mean that as an excuse for him. I think he's just as much at fault because of it. He needed to recognize that he had to be more of a micromanager, and I believe he chose not to simply because he didn't want that to be part of his job and was too stubborn to give in to the fact that it was.

My thoughts? He was smart enough to not give a sh!zz, as the UNC farce investigation proved, the NCAA picks and chooses who they go after and they care not about the athletes. Fab did what every other athlete does, but the tutor was dumb enough to get caught.

You realize the drug testing violations were that Syracuse wasn’t contacting the athletes that failed the tests parents and letting them know their child had failed a drug test.
It was a stupid violation if Syracuse didn’t even have those rules they wouldn’t have violated them. Again the NCAA got us on a technicality and they were looking to nail us because we pissed them off. They got us for a bunch of minor violations and then presented them as a major violation when they weren’t.
If we didn’t have the drug testing policy like a lot of colleges don’t have because they don’t want to know what their athletes are doing it’s a nothing burger.

Fab Melo’s violation was a violation but again it was tutor who should haven’t written the paper but sat down with him and made him write it with assistance which would have been legal. We got lazy and didn’t make the athlete do the work.
That isn’t worth a major violation I bet if I searched any major athletic department I could find a case of this stuff happening.

Our issues with the NCAA were completely overblown. Again Coach Boeheim’s surly attitude towards the NCAA was the biggest problem. If he would have played ball we don’t get hammered and he doesn’t lose all those wins.
Yeah JBs mouth did us and him no favors. The thing that disturbed me with Melo was Gross being involved in it, bad look. Then again a lot of things Gross did disturbed me

Just do the sensible thing and get Pitino. Have him bring in a staff of high upside assistants with the plan to develop one as the next guy.

I know, I know, people are going to say Pitino's past disqualified him.

Well, we're the institution that didn't terminate a coach for two separate NCAA violations.

If we think we're above Pitino, a, we're not, and b, we're hypocritical for being selectively moral.
Rick would be my pick hands down

The HC should trust his staff to insure things are going as they should as far as compliance goes. It's my impression, given no b'ball staff was let go after the sanctions, that there was a massive breakdown in the organization - specifically who was accountable for what.

AD Gross was held accountable and lost his job as a result but no one on the basketball staff was punished. Maybe its just me but that seems hard to believe.

Some here say that the sanctions are more targeted to JB's arrogance regarding the NCAA but I think its more because he did not want to hold his own people accountable - fall on the sword as they say is noble for sure. Who knows. If he cleaned house then maybe our program would be in a different trajectory now.