OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

RobVTX I spent my first 29 in Palermo. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at ourselves and the perception others have of us. I wen't to Mexico High School, so, if you went to Phoenix, of course that means I must be superior to you.

We don't know who we can get but also won't find out unless we do a national search. GMac and Red can interview like everyone else. There may be an assistant from another team that impresses JW more than anticipated. There may be a young head coach of a lower level team that's ready to take over a big program. Maybe GMac or Red have the ability to be the guy. If that's the case, they'll have no problem competing with other candidates.
I absolutely agree with what you’re saying. I’m not for or against hiring from within or doing a national search. I’m just saying the final list that Wildhack may come up with will shock a lot of people. People in the know say that Wildhack is very high on Greg Paulus from Niagara. He might be a great coach, but he’s never recruited a top 100 kid at Niagara. That’s been the knock on Gerry and Red and they have not recruited top level players. They have both got top 50 kids. It’s a crapshoot whoever you hire unless they’ve proven it at the highest level. Can we get someone at that level?. I’m just not sure. I hope so, but there’s no guarantees.

Name names? I doubt they would excite us.
I named three names in my post that you didn't respond to: Holtmann, Underwood and Oats and we only have a shot at one of them. The coaching pool isn't as great as you think. Mick Cronin would be a good option but he is under contract for like five more years. Sean Miller could be an option but would Syracuse hire him? We are not getting a big name because they are already a big name at a big name school.

Do you want a guy like Kevin Keatts? I like him, but he's done nothing. So that leaves mid majors or top assistants. Let them come to Syracuse and become the next big name.

I named three names in my post that you didn't respond to: Holtmann, Underwood and Oats and we only have a shot at one of them. The coaching pool isn't as great as you think. Mick Cronin would be a good option but he is under contract for like five more years. Sean Miller could be an option but would Syracuse hire him? We are not getting a big name because they are already a big name at a big name school.

Do you want a guy like Kevin Keatts? I like him, but he's done nothing. So that leaves mid majors or top assistants. Let them come to Syracuse and become the next big name.
Some more names to add to the list

Oates
Musselman
Holtmann
Chris Mack
Sean Miller
Danny Hurley
Shaka Smart
Mick Cronin - Maybe he wants to come back east

If we can't get Hops back I would go with the Coach K Tree:

Tommy Amaker
Jeff Capel
Johnny Dawkins
Quinn Snyder
Wow. Are you a Dukie Homer? Snyder will have his pick of NBA jobs next season so he would never come here. We have as much chance of him coming here as Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens or Greg Popvich.

Dawkins and Amaker are both almost 60 and have two Sweet Sixteens between them.

Capel is 47, made one Elite Eight at Oklahoma and then had six straight losing seasons between there and Pitt.

I like Capel but maybe if he turns the Pitt program around and shows tournament success.

The fact that they have Duke as the fourth best, says a lot about the credibility of this ranking.
Duke is behind Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky when it comes to being the best job.
4th best isn’t bad at all. Those first 3 are state universities that own the infrastructure in their states to dominate at college basketball with longer histories of success than Duke.

Oates
Musselman
Holtmann
Chris Mack
Sean Miller
Danny Hurley
Shaka Smart
I forgot about Chris Mack, but he would perfect, assuming everyone would be on board. I bet Musselman ends up back in the NBA. Not sure he would take another college job. Hurley, I deliberately left off my list. Not sure we cross that bridge yet.

I absolutely agree with what you’re saying. I’m not for or against hiring from within or doing a national search. I’m just saying the final list that Wildhack may come up with will shock a lot of people. People in the know say that Wildhack is very high on Greg Paulus from Niagara. He might be a great coach, but he’s never recruited a top 100 kid at Niagara. That’s been the knock on Gerry and Red and they have not recruited top level players. They have both got top 50 kids. It’s a crapshoot whoever you hire unless they’ve proven it at the highest level. Can we get someone at that level?. I’m just not sure. I hope so, but there’s no guarantees.
Has Niagara ever recruited a top 100 kid? Honest question. What are the realistic expectations there and is he surpassing them? What kind of recruiter was he while he was an assistant at bigger programs? Would GMac or Red recruit any better there than him? Comparing his recruiting at Niagara to theirs at SU isn't apples to apples.

I'm fine if JW is high on Paulus or any number of candidates. If he is a good evaluator of talent, I hope he can look beyond the name, if someone less well known is ultimately a better candidate. Every big time coach was small time at some point.

Last edited:

Oates
Musselman
Holtmann
Chris Mack
Sean Miller
Danny Hurley
Shaka Smart
Chris Mack and Sean Miller are the only possibilities on that list and SU will not hire either one of them. Both involved in major allegations.

I just want the best candidate who can recruit, run a solid program and be competitive for conference titles and get top 4 seeds in the tournament.

Our program was doing this pretty much thru 2014.
Since 2014 we have become a mid tier program we went from being a top 6 EPL team like Arsenal to a mid tier team like Crystal Palace since 2014.

We need change and we need a coach who can use what we can offer to get talent.

RobVTX I spent my first 29 in Palermo. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at ourselves and the perception others have of us. I wen't to Mexico High School, so, if you went to Phoenix, of course that means I must be superior to you.
At no point in time and in no universe is a Mexico Tiger superior to a Phoenix Firebird. ;)

Last edited:
Depending on how he does at Cincinatti this year and possibly next, how about Wes Miller?

10 years at UNC Greensboro - they did very well his last 5 years and made a couple NCAA tourneys.

Now in year 2 at Cincy. 18-15 last year. 9-4 this year - no great wins but they did beat Bryant by 26 so they’re probably already better than us. If they win 20 this year and then do even better next year - could be a solid candidate.

Last edited:
The problem for so many is we are not going to get another Coach Boeheim. We’re never gonna have that again. We’re gonna have years where we don’t have a winning season but we should also have more competitive seasons and if we use our resources we can compete for national titles that’s the trade-off.
Coach Boeheim is/was consistent in that we’re never gonna be really bad. He knows how to manage the schedule to get us enough wins and not bottom out.
The guy won’t be as smart but we have so much upside being wasted now. Another year of this would suck but we know it’s going to happen so complaining is pointless.

Here in Phoenix, sat next to Mike Tirico, Cris Collinsworth and their family tnite (xmas eve) at Steak 44.

I know celebrities usually hate when people bother them at dinner but our backs were next to each other basically and we were leaving and I said go cuse and he turned around and we chatted a bit about the bball program, Jimmy and the University.

He said he thinks one more year for Jim and thinks JW will do a national search

I heard that he thinks Marv Albert isn’t a real alum and doesn’t like that he doesn’t give back enough to the university.

All I know is if the status quo continues we may need an NIL fund to recruit the fans back.

Another year of this would suck but we know it’s going to happen so complaining is pointless.
there’s no guarantee another year of this is coming when not a single person can find the upside to this.

And newsflash - thousands of fans are complaining with their wallet and not showing up. And it’s having an effect. Thank goodness they don’t just roll over.

I heard that he thinks Marv Albert isn’t a real alum and doesn’t like that he doesn’t give back enough to the university.
Mike ain’t into the whole wearing pantyhose thing.

If you attended, your an alumnus.
You don't have to graduate.
Marv was a " 3 and free" at SU, when he got a call to the big leagues.
Yehss! And he counts!

Last edited:
Marv eventually graduated from NYU and really doesn’t embrace his SU roots lately, always hesitant and against coming back for broadcasting alum events/honors, it's his prerogative, can't force him if he feels that way. When he did ECAC games in the 70s with Bucky Waters he always touted his SU days and background but not so much later on.

This is a complete flip for me but at this point im for going outside for our next coach.
If Jim had left with his kids i was all for Red. Unfortunately unless Jim pulls a miracle off this and next year he will have ruined what he built and with it any chance that Red or G had to take over.

Didn’t Marv sexually assault somebody and bite them?