OT: SU's house-cleaning continues | Syracusefan.com

OT: SU's house-cleaning continues

has any professor actually come back to any school after taking this kind of "leave"?

220px-The_Professor_%28Gilligan%27s_Island%29.jpg

Improvement?, how so?

Don't know how critical I'd like to be right now - feeling more kindhearted than candid on this Monday morning.

Let's just say that they'll find a new dean who's more personable and responsive to faculty and students. And probably more of a silo-buster than silo-builder.

Don't know how critical I'd like to be right now - feeling more kindhearted than candid on this Monday morning.

Let's just say that they'll find a new dean who's more personable and responsive to faculty and students. And probably more of a silo-buster than silo-builder.
I don't know anything about this person. Was she a bit "difficult"?

I don't know anything about this person. Was she a bit "difficult"?

Very.

This departure has been rumored for three years now; since the fund-raising for the new law building occurred under Hannah's watch (with a handful of very generous and hard-working trustees doing the heavy lifting), they gave her one final year to bask in the glow of the new school.

Then she instituted an aggressive building-security scheme in which everyone without a law school ID (including alumni, local attorneys, and all SU faculty and students not enrolled in the law school) was unable to freely access the building. The chancellor had not been informed of this plan and was not pleased. One last parting gift on her way out...

I expect those barriers to be removed by the time classes start in August.

Improvement?, how so?
the law school is a mess. their ranking is extremely poor , in view of the cost and resources. the school should be much higher in the rankings, and is not well thought of by many schools. she has been a poor leader and innovator. at one point it wasn't in the top 100 now i believe it is 87th nationaly. correct me if i am wrong

OttoMets said:
http://news.syr.edu/college-of-law-dean-hannah-arterian-to-step-down-as-dean-65519/ I'm told this would have happened with or without Syverud in place, but I'm sure he'll be intimately involved with this search. Whoever they choose will be an enormous improvement.
No chance Banks keeps it?

I know you weren't a fan. I can't believe it's been 13 years. Did you know she and syverud were board members of access group at one point?

tipphill said:
the law school is a mess. their ranking is extremely poor , in view of the cost and resources. the school should be much higher in the rankings, and is not well thought of by many schools. she has been a poor leader and innovator. at one point it wasn't in the top 100 now i believe it is 87th nationaly. correct me if i am wrong
Sounds about right. First thing they need to do is halve the student body, then halve the faculty.

No chance Banks keeps it?

I know you weren't a fan. I can't believe it's been 13 years. Did you know she and syverud were board members of access group at one point?

Opinion, not fact, but I can't imagine Banks wants it. Immediate upgrade as an interim, though - terrific guy.

Access Group...news to me. I'm not too familiar with her background; seems like she just got here, but that decade flew by.

but, but, but the building is in the Top 25 prettiest law buildings in the world. Doesn't that count...

OttoMets said:
Very.

This departure has been rumored for three years now; since the fund-raising for the new law building occurred under Hannah's watch (with a handful of very generous and hard-working trustees doing the heavy lifting), they gave her one final year to bask in the glow of the new school.

Then she instituted an aggressive building-security scheme in which everyone without a law school ID (including alumni, local attorneys, and all SU faculty and students not enrolled in the law school) was unable to freely access the building. The chancellor had not been informed of this plan and was not pleased. One last parting gift on her way out...

I expect those barriers to be removed by the time classes start in August.

I have a friend who works at the College of Law. She gave me a tour of Dineen Hall and I noticed the insane security procedure right away.

I also asked where the student lounge was. Was not at all surprised that the response was that Hannah didn't think it was necessary.

I think she was universally disliked from day 1.

Do a little more research. It was 120ish 5-6 years ago. It's been bouncing around, but it's trending upwards.

I have a friend who works at the College of Law. She gave me a tour of Dineen Hall and I noticed the insane security procedure right away.

I also asked where the student lounge was. Was not at all surprised that the response was that Hannah didn't think it was necessary.

The original plan for the new building came out to something like $700/square foot. A trustee told me that they'd use an ax rather than a scalpel to get the costs down. Bells and whistles remain in some places, but the library got significantly smaller and there's no student lounge. Odd that they managed to afford the security turnstiles.

There are a lot of SUCOL refugees elsewhere on campus who had to be stashed in other positions after they ran afoul of Hannah. Some of them have been waiting for this day, as have many of the employees still working in the building. It's a happy day to be a SUCOL professor, especially after they trim a couple more executive positions (ahem, here's looking at you, Student Life).

OttoMets said:
The original plan for the new building came out to something like $700/square foot. A trustee told me that they'd use an ax rather than a scalpel to get the costs down. Bells and whistles remain in some places, but the library got significantly smaller and there's no student lounge. Odd that they managed to afford the security turnstiles.

There are a lot of SUCOL refugees elsewhere on campus who had to be stashed in other positions after they ran afoul of Hannah. Some of them have been waiting for this day, as have many of the employees still working in the building. It's a happy day to be a SUCOL professor, especially after they trim a couple more executive positions (ahem, here's looking at you, Student Life).

I hope they got a discount on flat screens.

NKR1978 said:
I have a friend who works at the College of Law. She gave me a tour of Dineen Hall and I noticed the insane security procedure right away. I also asked where the student lounge was. Was not at all surprised that the response was that Hannah didn't think it was necessary. I think she was universally disliked from day 1.
wait...there's no student lounge? Oy vey

OttoMets said:
The original plan for the new building came out to something like $700/square foot. A trustee told me that they'd use an ax rather than a scalpel to get the costs down. Bells and whistles remain in some places, but the library got significantly smaller and there's no student lounge. Odd that they managed to afford the security turnstiles. There are a lot of SUCOL refugees elsewhere on campus who had to be stashed in other positions after they ran afoul of Hannah. Some of them have been waiting for this day, as have many of the employees still working in the building. It's a happy day to be a SUCOL professor, especially after they trim a couple more executive positions (ahem, here's looking at you, Student Life).
student life is going too? Wow

Otto knows this: I asked on the back (downhill) side to design bathrooms near the back entrance for tailgaters to use on game day. It could've been easily engineered and had secure doors from the rest of the building. Great idea...fell on deaf ears.

OttoMets said:
The original plan for the new building came out to something like $700/square foot. A trustee told me that they'd use an ax rather than a scalpel to get the costs down. Bells and whistles remain in some places, but the library got significantly smaller and there's no student lounge. Odd that they managed to afford the security turnstiles. There are a lot of SUCOL refugees elsewhere on campus who had to be stashed in other positions after they ran afoul of Hannah. Some of them have been waiting for this day, as have many of the employees still working in the building. It's a happy day to be a SUCOL professor, especially after they trim a couple more executive positions (ahem, here's looking at you, Student Life).
$700 psf seems ridiculous especially in upstate NY.

I spent my last 2 years in the lounge, playing cards.

has any professor actually come back to any school after taking this kind of "leave"?
I won't swear to it, but it seems to me that a Maxwell dean took a sabbatical and then returned as a tenured professor.