OT: The Welcome Inn | Syracusefan.com

OT: The Welcome Inn

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Today I had a visitor, Gene Fisch. I did a thread about him and the Parochial league a while ago. I ran into him at a spring game a couple of years ago. I had never met him before. I told him about the thread and he said his son had told him about it. He was touched by the kind words that were said about him. He said he wanted to treat my wife & I to dinner at Eva's in Solvay, an eatery which specializes in Polish food. He had never been there before. We meet had dinner consisting of galumpkis, potato pancakes, kielbasa, sauerkraut and pierogies.

Today Gene said he found a place that had even better Polish food, the Welcome Inn across from St. Lucy's Church where I was baptised. He said you want to get out of there before dark as it's a rough neighborhood.

My question to you is have you ever dined there?If not read the reviews, it just might worth a try.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/welcome-inn-syracuse

Haven't been to St Lucy's, but I live right down the street from Eva's. I have been going there for years. If there is a place that beats hers out please let me know.

Haven't been to St Lucy's, but I live right down the street from Eva's. I have been going there for years. If there is a place that beats hers out please let me know.

Gene says the food is better, did you read the reviews? It sounds as if the service is spotty but the food is great.

Eva's is good, but the Welcome Inn is great when it comes to dinner.

Eva has them beat with dessert though.

I'd suggest the Polish Home for saturday dinners as well, though you need to be a member or know one...($20 a year is a steal though). Plus, Okocim on tap.

Na Zdrowie Dan!

Praying you keep feeling better everyday!

Somewhat of a hidden gem. I think they have the best Reubens and pierogies in town. Within sight of Blodgett School and near some of the neighborhood revitalization projects that SU and private industry has been involved with in that area. Definitely worth the trip.

Gave me a fright with that thread title, Dan - I was afraid the place closed.

Their food is excellent. Their pastrami (smoked on site, like all their other meat) equals the best stuff I've had anywhere.

The service can be slow (it's pretty much a mom and pop operation), the place is a total dive, and the immediate neighborhood could be dicey after dark or during warm-weather months (though it's only a few blocks from downtown and I've walked over for lunch in the fall and winter). But the food is phenomenal. Dessert is limited and nothing to write home about, but the Ukrainian food (cabbage rolls, pierogies, kielbasa) is, in my experience, better than the terrific stuff that Eva's serves. And that pastrami...

Gave me a fright with that thread title, Dan - I was afraid the place closed.

Their food is excellent. Their pastrami (smoked on site, like all their other meat) equals the best stuff I've had anywhere.

The service can be slow (it's pretty much a mom and pop operation), the place is a total dive, and the immediate neighborhood could be dicey after dark or during warm-weather months (though it's only a few blocks from downtown and I've walked over for lunch in the fall and winter). But the food is phenomenal. Dessert is limited and nothing to write home about, but the Ukrainian food (cabbage rolls, pierogies, kielbasa) is, in my experience, better than the terrific stuff that Eva's serves. And that pastrami...
Yeah, forgot to mention they season and smoke the brisket on site.

Gave me a fright too. I also was afraid the place closed. For sure I will have to visit next week.

OttoMets review is spot on. And try the homemade soups.

I found the spot years ago in the early days of the internet and mobile maps. After driving for what seemed like an hour, my companion and I stumbled upon it just as we were about to give up. We then figured out it was only seven minutes from my office and not the 25 minute route the electronic map took us on. I have been a regular since and love Big John and his mother Bernice. If you go, read the newspaper story they have about her life -- born in eastern Europe, concentration camp, etc., etc.

Gave me a fright too. I also was afraid the place closed. For sure I will have to visit next week.

OttoMets review is spot on. And try the homemade soups.

I found the spot years ago in the early days of the internet and mobile maps. After driving for what seemed like an hour, my companion and I stumbled upon it just as we were about to give up. We then figured out it was only seven minutes from my office and not the 25 minute route the electronic map took us on. I have been a regular since and love Big John and his mother Bernice. If you go, read the newspaper story they have about her life -- born in eastern Europe, concentration camp, etc., etc.
Is this the story or is there another one?
Bernice has to be 89 now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom