OT: Trivia | Syracusefan.com

OT: Trivia

moqui

generational talent
How many US states are at least partially north of the southernmost land point of Canada?

Hint: it is probably a lot more than you think.

Off the top of my head without looking at a map Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Washington, Alaska are my guess.

Off the top of my head without looking at a map Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Washington, Alaska are my guess.
not even close

Curvature would also play a role too right? I'd guess 20.

Curvature would also play a role too right? I'd guess 20.
getting warmer

Hint: The state of Wyoming is almost entirely north of the southernmost point of Canada

Going from memory here:

Considering Lake Eerie juts so far down (essentially into Pennsylvania)

I'm gonna go with: PA, NY, ME, MA, OH, VT, RI, MI, WISC, ND, SD, CA, OR, WA, Idaho, Alaska

not even close
All the states I said have to be part of the answer maybe add Oregon, South Dakota, Wyoming, New York to the list as well.

ME, NH, VT, NY , NJ, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, ND, MT, ND, IA, WY, ID, OR, WA, CT, MA, RI, AK, ID

Last edited:
Without looking at a map, I came up with 13. Maine, NH, VT, NY, Mich, Wisc, Minn, ND, SD, Mont, Idaho, Washington, Alaska. I had 14, but I nixed Wyoming. I know southern Ontario comes down pretty far. I will look at a map now to verify.

Southern most has to be Windsor Ont area... I'll say 19..

Edit, Hawaii and Ohio - 21... But maybe even more.

All the states I said have to be part of the answer maybe add Oregon, South Dakota, Wyoming, New York to the list as well.
Even more. I just looked at a lattitude map of North America.

The answer is 27, with 13 states entirely north of the southernmost shore of Middle Island in Lake Erie, which is the southernmost land point of Canada

The proof is here; scroll down for the documentation for each individual state

The answer is 27, with 13 states entirely north of the southernmost shore of Middle Island in Lake Erie, which is the southernmost land point of Canada

The proof is here; scroll down for the documentation for each individual state
Cool.

Middle Island is actually further south than Syracuse, which is at a latitude of 43.0469 degrees.

Syracuse is further south than Cannes in France though, as well as Portland, OR, Boise, Toronto, Florence, Marseilles, Toulouse, Nice, Monaco, Vladivostok and Sapporo.

So we have that going for us.

Linkage