OT - TVs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - TVs

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Panasonic Plasma. So far the cheapest I've seen it (55") is $1399. Amazon jumps the price around between $1399 and $1700.

I'm convinced it's the best bang for the buck.

Cnet rates it the best TV for the money and gave it their highest rating ever. They also have a 60" model.

Yup LCD's use less energy, but the difference isn't that great.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p55st60/4505-6482_7-35567256.html

Looks like Plasma has made some strides in energy efficiency and weight over the last couple years...I still like the thinner/lighter LED but I'm convinced the next TV I get (when??) I'll look at both Plasma and LED models. My current TV is only 42" but it works for me.

So is it glued on the wall or do you have one of those faux wood stand things?
its got a bracket, but is pretty close to flush, cables inside the wall.

bought it last august, just in time for kickoff and the baseball playoffs. no fancy sound system hooked up, actually dont have it anywhere and when i do it will be in the basement, this tv is too perfect to be hidden.

I have a 60" LED Samsung Smart TV w/ 3D, 240 Mhz refresh and all the gimmicks. I paid about $2200 for it and they threw in the warranty and a Samsung blu-ray w/ wireless network hookup. The 240 refresh is huge and I'd laugh at anyone who told me they saw blur. The Plasma's at 600 MHz have a darker picture to me and I enjoy vivid light in my screen, so I prefer LED tvs. I buy a new tv every 12-18 months, and cycle an old out. I have 2 of the Sharp Aquos, high end, but smaller than 46" and they're quality, but nowhere near comparison to the Samsung Smart LED. I only use the 3D when I'm watching the Masters or XGames. The Masters in 3D is a work of art. I've watched SU BBall games in 3D and it feels like you're in the front row, minus the crowd experience.

Mine is an LED LCD and has zero motion blur. But that's probably because it was top-of-the-line. Think you really have to do your homework. And not go so much by the brand, but by the level you buy at your brand. I bought a smart TV just in case I needed the features later, but honestly I have never used those features. Except when I got it.

I bought a Samsung LCD TV because I was told or read that LCDs are good in a bright room and it was going into a sunporch. Go to Best Buy and look at them and decide which one looks best to you.

If you want the best out there right now look at the Panasonic TC-PST60. Many of the engineers who designed the Pioneer Kuros (gold standard of flat screens) now work at Panasonic.

Take a look at an HD projector and they don't need to be in a dark room either, the picture will be crystal clear in daylight. They start at a grand, and this seems like the best bet for mancaves. It also can be put anywhere and aligned perfectly with your screen. This is what I will be installing in mine.

Take a look at an HD projector and they don't need to be in a dark room either, the picture will be crystal clear in daylight. They start at a grand, and this seems like the best bet for mancaves. This is what I will be installing in mine.

Just be careful with the replacement bulb costs. Could get pricey. Our facilities folks are starting to use flat screens instead of projectors in our conference rooms due to ongoing maintenance costs.

I have a 60" LED Samsung Smart TV w/ 3D, 240 Mhz refresh and all the gimmicks. I paid about $2200 for it and they threw in the warranty and a Samsung blu-ray w/ wireless network hookup. The 240 refresh is huge and I'd laugh at anyone who told me they saw blur. The Plasma's at 600 MHz have a darker picture to me and I enjoy vivid light in my screen, so I prefer LED tvs. I buy a new tv every 12-18 months, and cycle an old out. I have 2 of the Sharp Aquos, high end, but smaller than 46" and they're quality, but nowhere near comparison to the Samsung Smart LED. I only use the 3D when I'm watching the Masters or XGames. The Masters in 3D is a work of art. I've watched SU BBall games in 3D and it feels like you're in the front row, minus the crowd experience.

How about flashlighting or stuttering/slow down which is known on Samsungs? LED's are known for this.

Plasma can have image retention or (IR) although it usually goes away rather fast anymore. The older Plasma's ( first few generations) had image burn in issues. I own the Pioneer Kuro, best plasma ever made and have never seen any IR or burn in. I just got the Panny and have not seen any IR yet, but have read that they do indeed get IR. You have to really abuse the panel in my opinion to get burn in anymore. There are tools out there to rid the panel of this now. Disney has a pixel flipper in it's WOW dvd that works wonders. Oh, and I recommend that DVD to all who want to get the best out of their panels without having to pay a pro calibrator.

Overall it comes down to your preference. LED's are good for brighter rooms, Plasma for darker.

No two panels are the same. One panel might show defects while another may seem perfect.

Each individual see's things differently as well. The list goes on.

Honestly, the best way to find the right TV is to get one in the house and set up like it would be for daily use. But after returning TV after TV within day's of taken it in could cause a red flag, lol.

I would do some research. Check out Cnet and their reviews/ratings. They are pretty good at what they do.

Just be careful with the replacement bulb costs. Could get pricey. Our facilities folks are starting to use flat screens instead of projectors in our conference rooms due to ongoing maintenance costs.
Yeah but nothing lasts forever, if it gives me 5+ years I'm happy. Unless it gets a beer can thrown at it during the game then I will be pissed.

When you figure out what make and model tv you are going to buy, look to see if it's available on this site: www.buydig.com. I've purchased two HDTVs from them, each for hundreds less than I could find anywhere else after extensive comparison shopping. Their shipping service was excellent too.

Have a 55" Sony LED, 120 refresh rate and it's great for watching sports. Great clear, bright picture.

I've purchased from Chris at ClevelandPlasma.com. Excellent service. Highly recommended on AVS Forums.

2 windows in that room facing north and east, prolly 12-15 feet maybe?

Is this going to be used for a man cave, mainly sports TV, or will this be your main set and used as a theater room as well?

Is this going to be used for a man cave, mainly sports TV, or will this be your main set and used as a theater room as well?

My idea of home theatre is whatever is on HBO around 10PM on Saturday...just need something that is basic and nice without the technology hassle.

My idea of home theatre is whatever is on HBO around 10PM on Saturday...just need something that is basic and nice without the technology hassle.

Let me preface by saying I'm not an "expert" per se but I do research stuff to death because I can't stand making a bad purchase.

I would go Plasma 55-60 inch for a few reasons. Plasma will get you the biggest screen for the lowest money and the highest refresh rate. If it was a well lit room I would go LCD or LED (essentially the same technologies with different lighting mechanisms). Plasma gives more contrast for darker colors (blacks, dark blues, etc) vs LCD and LED giving the brighest bright colors.

I have a 46 inch LCD in my well lit family room and when watching sports at night I couldn't watch it on vivid setting because the colors were actually too bright. Only time I use that setting is for animated movies for the kids (shark tale, shrek, etc), anything with actually actors or live action you'll want the dark contrast. If I tried to watch Sherlock Holmes on the vivid setting half the screen would simply be a black blur at parts although I have the standard settings worked out to do better there. Plasma's can actually power down specific parts of the screen though and acheive absolute black vs LCD or LED still projecting the color as black. LCD and LED are a lot better there then they have been but not as good as Plasma just based on limitations of the technology.

From 12-15 feet off anything bigger than 60 inches would risk pixelation even on a 1080p. 1080 has twice as many pixels as 720p but still, the larger you get the larger the pixels will be. Anything you get that size you will be able to see pixels from 5 feet in.

Downside to Plasma are they are the heaviest, they are the most power thirsty, they run the warmest, and they cannot be laid over on their side in transit. Must keep them upright to avoid potential issues. The plus would be deeper colors, higher refresh rate, and power usage doesn't mean quite as much if you're getting the same size screen for $700-1000 less than an LED equivalent. Plasma is the old dog on the block and I thought would disappear for awhile but they have reworked known technology recently and really brought it back well for a cheaper price because it's been around so long. Think Chevy Small block engine still running in the current Corvette's, yes it's older technology but it's been reworked so many times that it can perform like a champ still.

Hope this helps, and if price tag is no issue feel free to go LED, but given that it's the basement I think Plasma will get the job done as well or better for less money. Don't go into a store to look at screens next to each other. The TV store's are set up to sell whichever unit gives them the highest profit margin. It's not that hard to set up a very good TV to look bad next to a lessor TV on it's best possible settings with a better HDMI feed into it. Narrow it down to a few units based on online feedback and make your choice without some salesmen yapping in your ear. You also don't know if one display TV is fresh out of the box and another has been running displays 18 hours a day for 6 months.

Brand wise, I swear by Samsung personally at this point but I know others that have good luck with Sony, LG, and Vizio. TV's are one thing where you don't want to go with an off brand because there is a noticable quality difference especially when you get into bigger sizes.

got the 60" Samsung Smart LED 1080, 44 belly option on 2...

best buy threw in a blu-ray and free shipping. i negotiated 'if i buy this cabinet/stand, will you bastards install it on my wall for free?'....home run.

i have the dvr hooked up to it, which has the HDMI coming out. not sure how it work if you didnt have that setup.

love it by the way, never seen jake and the neverland pirates appear so captivating.....
The Kaiser loves his pixie dust

How about flashlighting or stuttering/slow down which is known on Samsungs? LED's are known for this.

Plasma can have image retention or (IR) although it usually goes away rather fast anymore. The older Plasma's ( first few generations) had image burn in issues. I own the Pioneer Kuro, best plasma ever made and have never seen any IR or burn in. I just got the Panny and have not seen any IR yet, but have read that they do indeed get IR. You have to really abuse the panel in my opinion to get burn in anymore. There are tools out there to rid the panel of this now. Disney has a pixel flipper in it's WOW dvd that works wonders. Oh, and I recommend that DVD to all who want to get the best out of their panels without having to pay a pro calibrator.

Overall it comes down to your preference. LED's are good for brighter rooms, Plasma for darker.

No two panels are the same. One panel might show defects while another may seem perfect.

Each individual see's things differently as well. The list goes on.

Honestly, the best way to find the right TV is to get one in the house and set up like it would be for daily use. But after returning TV after TV within day's of taken it in could cause a red flag, lol.

I would do some research. Check out Cnet and their reviews/ratings. They are pretty good at what they do.

I'm impressed...you seem to be the TV guy. It makes sense that Plasma might be best for a darker "man cave"...which often is the case (basements).

Bottomline: It comes down to how much you watch, do you need top shelf.

I was never a First Adopter guy...a high end Carver Receiver and a Bose 25 system are the closest I've come to High End First Adopter stuff. My feeling is technology changes so much so why get on that treadmill? I go buy a decent brand but opt for something without all the high end "bells and whistles". Something will come along and be much better in 3-4 years anyway.

Anyone wanna buy a Betamax? I'm thinking about switching to VHS.

Let me preface by saying I'm not an "expert" per se but I do research stuff to death because I can't stand making a bad purchase.

I would go Plasma 55-60 inch for a few reasons. Plasma will get you the biggest screen for the lowest money and the highest refresh rate. If it was a well lit room I would go LCD or LED (essentially the same technologies with different lighting mechanisms). Plasma gives more contrast for darker colors (blacks, dark blues, etc) vs LCD and LED giving the brighest bright colors.

I have a 46 inch LCD in my well lit family room and when watching sports at night I couldn't watch it on vivid setting because the colors were actually too bright. Only time I use that setting is for animated movies for the kids (shark tale, shrek, etc), anything with actually actors or live action you'll want the dark contrast. If I tried to watch Sherlock Holmes on the vivid setting half the screen would simply be a black blur at parts although I have the standard settings worked out to do better there. Plasma's can actually power down specific parts of the screen though and acheive absolute black vs LCD or LED still projecting the color as black. LCD and LED are a lot better there then they have been but not as good as Plasma just based on limitations of the technology.

From 12-15 feet off anything bigger than 60 inches would risk pixelation even on a 1080p. 1080 has twice as many pixels as 720p but still, the larger you get the larger the pixels will be. Anything you get that size you will be able to see pixels from 5 feet in.

Downside to Plasma are they are the heaviest, they are the most power thirsty, they run the warmest, and they cannot be laid over on their side in transit. Must keep them upright to avoid potential issues. The plus would be deeper colors, higher refresh rate, and power usage doesn't mean quite as much if you're getting the same size screen for $700-1000 less than an LED equivalent. Plasma is the old dog on the block and I thought would disappear for awhile but they have reworked known technology recently and really brought it back well for a cheaper price because it's been around so long. Think Chevy Small block engine still running in the current Corvette's, yes it's older technology but it's been reworked so many times that it can perform like a champ still.

Hope this helps, and if price tag is no issue feel free to go LED, but given that it's the basement I think Plasma will get the job done as well or better for less money. Don't go into a store to look at screens next to each other. The TV store's are set up to sell whichever unit gives them the highest profit margin. It's not that hard to set up a very good TV to look bad next to a lessor TV on it's best possible settings with a better HDMI feed into it. Narrow it down to a few units based on online feedback and make your choice without some salesmen yapping in your ear. You also don't know if one display TV is fresh out of the box and another has been running displays 18 hours a day for 6 months.

Brand wise, I swear by Samsung personally at this point but I know others that have good luck with Sony, LG, and Vizio. TV's are one thing where you don't want to go with an off brand because there is a noticable quality difference especially when you get into bigger sizes.

Exc post...I'm being converted to Plasma for the Big Boy TVs in dark rooms. To be honest I haven't follow the technology changes as closely as some of you guys. BTW, I really agree with staying away from the cheap brands for TVs bigger than about 32". However last year I bought a 24" Samsung for my camp (love it, got it for $199 at Costco) and figured spending an extra $50 was money well spent over a cheap Chinese Generic TV. I use my TV for watching DVDs and pulling in OTA HD TV channels. BTW, Best Buy's store brand (Insignia) is actually pretty decent for a cheaper brand in the smaller TVs. When they put a small TV on sale...it is a pretty good buy. You gotta wait for the sales though.

But if you need a TV in a secondary location in a smaller screen size...buying that $169 Chinese 32" TV by Hooflundung might work great and be the best use for your budget. If it breaks in 2 years throw it out and get a new one. Really most TVs under $250 are becoming throw aways to me.

I really recommend Costco for buying your smaller screened TVs. They all come with a 2 yr warranty for no extra cost. Syracuse/Rochester folks you are really going to love Costco when they open in the Fall/Winter this year. The store blows away Sam's Club...no friggin comparsion. If you are buying a high end TV you might be better going to a local dealer known for great techinical support and customer service. For Bayside...if he is buying a middle of the road 60" TV...Costco might be a great option if he is handy at tech stuff though.

If you have a couple weeks to wait you can get a good deal as well. They role out new models pretty regularly so just wait a few weeks on the TV you want when they are replacing it with a new model and save a ton of $$$$. My cousin got a 50 inch 720p LG plasma for ~$700 because they were rolling out the same model in 1080p which had a $1399 sticker on it.

AKA, find the TV you want and just wait and watch a couple weeks on it unless it's a brand new model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom