OT - TVs | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT - TVs

How far will your seating be from the tv, and how much (in any) natural light gets int your basement?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think bigger is better. Our couch is about 12 feet from the tv and I bought a 42, and wish I had gone a little smaller to tell you the truth.

I have a hard time relaxing when I'n visually overwhelmed.:noidea:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't think bigger is better. Our coach is about 12 feet from the tv and I bought a 42, and wish I had gone a little smaller to tell you the truth.

I have a hard time relaxing when I'n visually overwhelmed.:noidea:

I went 46 inch and sit about 10 feet out. Any bigger would be too much but it's nice for playing the PS3. Too each their own but im with you and 42-46 inch are about the same price then 50-60 is a higher price range and 60+ gets into rediculous price range and is more than you need in 98% of rooms.

I bought a Samsung LCD TV because I was told or read that LCDs are good in a bright room and it was going into a sunporch. Go to Best Buy and look at them and decide which one looks best to you.

LED and LCD are the same LCD screen. Plasma's have glass screens causing reflections in bright rooms.

Here's a good overview of the difference's
http://www.adorama.com/alc/0011926/article/Plasma-LCD

If you want the best out there right now look at the Panasonic TC-PST60. Many of the engineers who designed the Pioneer Kuros (gold standard of flat screens) now work at Panasonic.
A new development in lightweight material named graphene projects to make televisions as thin as Saran Wrap with extreme clarity. "GRAPHENE" GOOGLE IT AND READ . ITS MORE THAN INCREDIBLE.:eek:

I'm impressed...you seem to be the TV guy. It makes sense that Plasma might be best for a darker "man cave"...which often is the case (basements).

Bottomline: It comes down to how much you watch, do you need top shelf.

I was never a First Adopter guy...a high end Carver Receiver and a Bose 25 system are the closest I've come to High End First Adopter stuff. My feeling is technology changes so much so why get on that treadmill? I go buy a decent brand but opt for something without all the high end "bells and whistles". Something will come along and be much better in 3-4 years anyway.

Anyone wanna buy a Betamax? I'm thinking about switching to VHS.

Thanks for the kind words, but I am far from a TV guy. I just did my research before buying one.

I can't believe it has taken you this long to move on over to VHS ! Sheesh, what were you waiting on, lol !!

I got a 50 inch Zenith (made by LG) last year at sears for $550 for my basement. As good as my Sony Bravia...

A new development in lightweight material named graphene projects to make televisions as thin as Saran Wrap with extreme clarity. "GRAPHENE" GOOGLE IT AND READ . ITS MORE THAN INCREDIBLE.:eek:
dont forget the new nano-tube tech -very low power use and a picture color quality better than both led and plasma -
cost is kinda stupid,last i saw some one did a 19" and it cost like 12 grand-

Haven't Googled it yet..but it kinda supports my "First Adopter" stance

Plasmas use a lot more energy and weigh a lot more than LEDs...to each his own. I think LED picture quality is excellent
Not sure if this was already posted, but you also have to keep Plasmas standing up when transporting them which is something to consider when buying a large tv. LEDs you can lie down when transporting them.

I just want to also say that I'll never buy another Sony product unless I have to. Playstation broke. CD player ate CDs. VHS player ate tapes. TV had a really annoying, very quiet buzz. My stereo receiver did last about 15 years, though.

I just want to also say that I'll never buy another Sony product unless I have to. Playstation broke. CD player ate CDs. VHS player ate tapes. TV had a really annoying, very quiet buzz. My stereo receiver did last about 15 years, though.

Plasma TV or what kind?

sony aint squat now- they make nothing but garbage now

I've purchased from Chris at ClevelandPlasma.com. Excellent service. Highly recommended on AVS Forums.
This place is literally two miles from me, and I'll be making an in person visit before Penn State kickoff.

This place is literally two miles from me, and I'll be making an in person visit before Penn State kickoff.
I actually bought online. Was initially nervous about freight and damage but concerns were unfounded.

Guys, figure this is the place to ask and get a good opinion.

I am building out my basement and need to get the jumbo-sized TV (60 inch of so). Like UEO, I am a FiOS guy that isn't really interested in all the digital tricks, just want to watch sports and whatever when I can. Also don't need sound coming at me from all angles, one of those sound bar things would be fine.

Anyone have a TV they can recommend? Also, do you need to have the cable box with FiOS with one of those TV or can that bipassed?

Thanks for the help!

Bayside...let us know what you picked and the pro/cons of your selection after you buy.

Costco currently has a Panasonic 55 inch Plasma HD 3D TV in stock for $679 dollars Model# TC-P55UT50, excellent picture.

As in many cases, it really comes down to how much coin you want to spend and budget. If you're a picture quality snob like me, I would steer you towards plasmas, especially the 60" size you're considering. If you go with LCD/LED, I certainly wouldn't get the 120hz refresh rate, but the 240hz, especially with sports programming/viewing being the primary focus.

The three best plasmas on the market right now are the Panasonic VT60 & ZT60 series along with Samsung's F8500 model. You can not go wrong with any of these panels. If your room is relatively darker (natural lighting) you may want to go with the Panny, if the room has a bit more natural lighting, I believe the aforementioned Sammy is the way to go. The Sammy also has more frills, etc. than the mentioned Panny's, if that's something that toots your horn as well. :)

Here's my two cents on other things to consider:

Internet enabled/smart TV - most TV's are standard with this today but it still seems like a solid Blu Ray player get yous what you need. Someone mentioned it but worth restating, you will want the ACC 'app' or whatever it is they call TV specific access points.

If you are not going with a surround system then DO get a sound bar. Sports programming today makes it really hard to hear what is being said without separating the sound channels. A sound bar can do wonders to help clear the sound and will only add a couple hundred dollars to the total bill. I installed one for a family friend last Christmas, his dirtbag kids wouldn't do it, but that's another story and this gentleman and his wife (both in their late 70s/early80s) were amazed that they could hear the TV so clearly again after the 15 minute installation. Their model had a wireless sub that they stuck behind the couch so it wasn't seen.

TV's, everyone has their opinion and there is a ton of solid advice in this thread. I'm an unabashed plasma guy. I used to have a Pioneer and the blacks that thing could give were phenomenal. But, the motherboard in it eventually died (after 3 cross country moves it was probably a bit too much jarring around even though I had kept the original packaging). I did buy the extended warranty and got a full replacement value the month the extended warranty was expiring. Why am I telling you this... The Best Buy folks, who recognized the quality TV I had originally, were nearly insistent that I go with a Panasonic because the blacks were the deepest you could get. I don't recall if Panasonic bought the Pioneer technology or just hired the staff when Pioneer got out of the TV market but it was worth the advice. If you go plasma I strongly encourage you to go Panasonic.

TV size is your preference entirely. I have a big one in the living room and a 42" in our bedroom. Both are excellent. The 42" is about 5 yrs old and picture is still awesome. The big one in the living room does throw some heat, but the only pixelation that I have ever encountered is when it storms and Directv doesn't want to cooperate.

If you are a Netflix family, we run our internet access (Netflix, Amazon movies, Hulu, etc) through the Blu Ray and it works like a champ. Equipment/boxes/etc. stored in a closet in a different room and accessed with an infrared repeater that is nearly invisible to see. Interesting fact, did you know that 1/3 of the US internet traffic after something like 6 or 7 PM is Netflix streaming? Crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom