OT: US News and World Report 2025 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: US News and World Report 2025

I think that's a fools errand. Most of the kids at my son's school went to Ivy league schools with minimal scores because they are playing sports. Same with the NESCAC. If you can play a sport (any sport) the admissions policy is baseline vs premium.
Not too long ago, Williams determined that 25% of its incoming class were recruited varsity athletes.

In this day and age, do employers really look at the name of the school on the resume?

Outside hedge funds and financial institutions, it's pretty much do you have a degree and do you know enough to do the job

Pretty sad that I’m telling my kid the college my wife and I attended is not worth it. SUNY Binghamton is the better value (with same ranking as Syracuse)
As an out of stater now, I cannot afford to send my kid to SU, but I still argue for it. My wife has been using these rankings against me in arguments. The drop is not good, IMO.

In this day and age, do employers really look at the name of the school on the resume?

Outside hedge funds and financial institutions, it's pretty much do you have a degree and do you know enough to do the job
As someone who hires people I do not. I’ve hired SUNY students over IVY leaguers because their skills were better for the position that was open. I used to care about this ranking when we were falling 10 years ago, but don’t anymore because it’s made zero difference in my success or anyone else I attended school on the hill with.

The rankings slide started under Buzz. The rot started with him for football and academics. Nancy gets attacked, but this isn't Nancy's fault at this point. She hasn't been on campus in 10+ years. This is all Kent and the trustees for allowing the academic hit.

But Syracuse has a national brand and if I wanted to do work in NYC or outside of NYS I feel liked you'd have a better chance of getting your resume looked with Syracuse vs. Binghamton or Buffalo. That means something.
No. Under Buzz SU was 40s and low 50s (at the end). Football was in its golden age, although I know there's fierce criticism about investment in facilities.
For the rankings look at publicuniversityhonors.com which has them for 1983-2007.

At what point will Syracuse be the lowest academically ranked school in the ACC? Are we almost there now? We're certainly in the bottom 1/3rd for sure.

I don't think we are going to move up significantly until we have a medical school. That is really holding us back IMO. Add a legit MD program (which is a MAJOR lift I concede) and i suspect this school jumps 20+ spots without doing anything else

Hamstrung by the price tag
US news wants first gen students, SU wants parents paying sticker price
That’s very strange with the programs in the Syracuse city school district to attract first generation and lower income students to colleges like SU. I know I’ve read about a number of city students attending SU because of these programs. I wouldn’t think that diversity is an issue.

I don't think we are going to move up significantly until we have a medical school. That is really holding us back IMO. Add a legit MD program (which is a MAJOR lift I concede) and i suspect this school jumps 20+ spots without doing anything else
BC didn't add a medical school and has maintained it's standing consistently since the 90s. I would look at them as a peer of what they did right and what we did wrong to figure out how SU is now closer to a beauty school than the top academic institutions at this point.

Yes. There are lots of fields where the name on your degree matters. Law, for one. Medical. Engineering. Computer Science.

It's not that one can't succeed professionally without a "premium name degree". But it's a real advantage in many fields.

And a school being nationally known is a big positive. People are familiar with SU all over the country. Meanwhile most people outside the northeast don't know what a SUNY is.

BC didn't add a medical school and has maintained it's standing consistently since the 90s. I would look at them as a peer of what they did right and what we did wrong to figure out how SU is now closer to a beauty school than the top academic institutions at this point.
I'm not saying its the only path, but its a challenge that has held them back both in rankings as well as AAU-accreditation. Just saying, it's something worth considering. Not sure if it's possible to align with Crouse in a bigger way to make this happen (i have no understanding of those mechanics)

Acceptance rate

BC: 16.7%
SU: 51.8%

That's a big part of the answer

Also, one place I think Syracuse has badly failed is in focusing too much on its glamour programs and not enough on A&S.

Newhouse and Maxwell degrees still carry weight, but what can a graduate do with a Syracuse liberal arts degree these days? That school, where a vast majority of students are concentrated, is middling at this point.

Acceptance rate

BC in many ways did what Northeastern did.

When I graduated from Boston Latin school in Boston, Northeastern was the safety school for most kids there. All you needed was a C average and you got in.

Now, Northeastern is regarded as ON PAR with BC and BU and in some ways is more selective.

Acceptance rate

I agree the rate is nuts but why? Why is Syracuse admitting all these students? is there yield rate abysmal?

No. Under Buzz SU was 40s and low 50s (at the end). Football was in its golden age, although I know there's fierce criticism about investment in facilities.
For the rankings look at publicuniversityhonors.com which has them for 1983-2007.
Football was in a golden age from 1999-2003/4?

And as you pointed out - we went from 40s to 50s. The slide had begun and no one at SU has done anything to stop it.

When I graduated from Boston Latin school in Boston, Northeastern was the safety school for most kids there. All you needed was a C average and you got in.

Now, Northeastern is regarded as ON PAR with BC and BU and in some ways is more selective.
Northeastern is THE poster child on how to game the rankings system.

I grew up in Mass and have the same recollection of that school as you do. To see it become well regarded is mind blowing.

Northeastern is THE poster child on how to game the rankings system.

I grew up in Mass and have the same recollection of that school as you do. To see it become well regarded is mind blowing.
Northeastern was absolutely a safety school on par with Marist in the mid 90s.

I have friends who went to BC in the 90s and they all say they could never get in now.

BC is amazing. They fail spectacularly in the glamor sports and yet continue to rise. IMAGINE, they beomce good at basketball and football again. If you talk to anyone in admissions there, Flutie and Coughlin enhanced the reputation so much. If BOB makes them a top 10 program, the sky is limit w that rate

Also, one place I think Syracuse has badly failed is in focusing too much on its glamour programs and not enough on A&S.

Newhouse and Maxwell degrees still carry weight, but what can a graduate do with a Syracuse liberal arts degree these days? That school, where a vast majority of students are concentrated, is middling at this point.
What can anyone from any school do with a liberal arts degree. I mean it’s liberal arts. Outside of two or 3 schools , SU isn’t worth the money, sadly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom