OT: who is the most prominent SU grad (non sports related)? | Syracusefan.com

OT: who is the most prominent SU grad (non sports related)?

SBU72

All Conference
Watching the little SU commercial that is on during the games, made me wonder about this. Not being a grade made me wonder just who most of the people pictured in the ad where and then who was the most prominent. And no Dave Bing as mayor of Detroit does not count. Can somebody (CTO maybe) identify the people in the add? And lastly, was Alex Ginsburg a SU grad?

Watching the little SU commercial that is on during the games, made me wonder about this. Not being a grade made me wonder just who most of the people pictured in the ad where and then who was the most prominent. And no Dave Bing as mayor of Detroit does not count. Can somebody (CTO maybe) identify the people in the add? And lastly, was Alex Ginsburg a SU grad?

Dick Clark, '51.

And Allen Ginsberg went to Columbia, '48.

Last edited:
Not sure she will ever win it because politics seems to be the name of the game now but Joyce Carol Oates has been mentioned for the Nobel Prize for Literature. Stephen Crane (attended) and Shirley Jackson (graduated) are 2 other prominent writers from SU. Eileen Collins was the first woman Shuttle Commander and Storey Mussgrave (another Shuttle Astronaut) are both featured. Vanessa Williams and Taye Diggs are seen as well as the "guy" singing the song. Can't tell if he's shown in the Vid but Robert Jarvik is also an SU grad.

Last edited:
Take your pick. http://www.syr.edu/alumni/gallery/notable_alumni.html

Bob Costas, Ted Koppel, and Steve Krofft - journalism

Taye Diggs, Vanessa Williams, Dick Clark - entertainment

Emme, Betsey Johnson, Thom Felicia - fashion

Others not previously mentioned - Donna Shalala, Aaron Sorkin, Jerry Stiller

Not to mention the sports related former athletes and sports journalists many of whom have contributions well beyond sports including Jim Brown (actor and social activist), Dave Bing (business and politics) and Jim Boeheim (philanthropy and author)!

Kindof off topic becuase he didn't go to the university but,
tom cruise was born in syracuse July 3rd 1962.

Hes defenetly one of the top 10 most famous actors of the last 20 years. Arguably the most.

Sean O'Keefe (MPA Maxwell School 1978): former Staff Director of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, Controller and Chief Financial Officer of the Department of Defense, Secretary of the Navy, Deputy Director OMB, Administrator of NASA, Chancellor LSU, and Chairman of the Board of EADS (Airbus) North America. In November he was named a Distinguished Senior Adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) and was appointed a a University Professor at SU, (only the 17th person ever honored in this way at Syracuse) and Howard G. and S. Louise Phanstiel Chair in Strategic Management and Leadership at Maxwell.

Last edited:
Sean O'Keefe (MPA Maxwell School 1978): former Staff Director of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, Controller and Chief Financial Officer of the Department of Defense, Secretary of the Navy, Deputy Director OMB, Administrator of NASA, Chancellor LSU, and Chairman of the Board of EADS (Airbus) North America. In November he returned to the Hill as Distinguished Senior Adviser and Professor in SU's Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

Surely very accomplished but, if you define prominent as recognizable and well known, he would not meet those standards.

The only answer is Joe Biden. You don't have to like him, but he's the freaking VP. There's only one job in this country more prominent than that.

75% (at least) of our population can't name the VP of our country - sad but true. Even worse, how many can name past VP's, even the recent ones.
For what it's worth, my first thought was Biden too.

Last edited:
have you ever watched The Newsroom?

Yes I have and enjoyed it very much. I may not agree with his view of the world but I can appreciate skillful writing, especially dialogue.

Yes I have and enjoyed it very. I may not agree with his view of the world but I can appreciate skillful writing, especially dialogue.
exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom