OT: who is the most prominent SU grad (non sports related)? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: who is the most prominent SU grad (non sports related)?

Sean O'Keefe (MPA Maxwell School 1978): former Staff Director of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, Controller and Chief Financial Officer of the Department of Defense, Secretary of the Navy, Deputy Director OMB, Administrator of NASA, Chancellor LSU, and Chairman of the Board of EADS (Airbus) North America. In November he returned to the Hill as Distinguished Senior Adviser and Professor in SU's Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

He's an unbelievably impressive guy - he spoke to my Maxwell class back in 2007. He survived the plane crash that killed Alaska Senator Ted Stevens a few years ago.

Funny story, somewhat related...

When I was given SU's Arents Award 10 years ago, the other recipients that evening were Joe Biden, Ted Koppel and Mike Tirico. I assumed half the audience was wondering "Who's that woman up there with all those famous guys?"

Last edited:
cto said:
Funny story, somewhat related... When I was given SU's Arents Award 10 years ago, the other recipients that evening were Joe Biden, Ted Koppel and Mike Tirico. I assumed half the audience was wondering "Who is that woman up there with all those famous guys?"

I know I was wondering that. :)

In what context would you use prominent? Are we talking the top of their field, because then I would go with Dick Clark or Marv Albert, I would say Biden, but he didn't go to Su undergrad. I would put Eileen Collins in the mix as well.

My vote goes to CTO
Mine too, considering the company she was with a few years ago.

CTO "Funny story, somewhat related...

When I was given SU's Arents Award 10 years ago, the other recipients that evening were Joe Biden, Ted Koppel and Mike Tirico. I assumed half the audience was wondering "Who's that woman up there with all those famous guys?"

I knew she could give the answer, I just didn't know she was it!

Yes. How much of it did you watch? I also watched the West Wing. I also watched sports night. I also watched a few good men. If you don't know that he has amazing talent, I can't help you.

I am an aspiring screenwriter. Sorkin certainly has talent, but his style of dialogue is not for everyone. His characters are always sharp-witted and silver-tongued, and consequently often quite unrealistic.

I find most of his work rather pretentious.

I think the Dalai Lama received an honorary degree...do we get to claim him as an alumnus?

I am an aspiring screenwriter. Sorkin certainly has talent, but his style of dialogue is not for everyone. His characters are always sharp-witted and silver-tongued, and consequently often quite unrealistic.

I find most of his work rather pretentious.
My roommate is a screenwriter in hollywood. Tough business. He has 4 movies. The production team for his next movie just produced in order, Nebraska, Silver lining playbook and American hustle. This, after all this time is his first trip to the big time. One of his movies, what we did that night, one of the characters is based on me. while filming, that guy slept with Tara Reid. In real life, I did not. Also, in real life, sorkin is pretentious. But he is a rare talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom