OT: who is the most prominent SU grad (non sports related)? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: who is the most prominent SU grad (non sports related)?

My roommate is a screenwriter in hollywood. Tough business. He has 4 movies. The production team for his next movie just produced in order, Nebraska, Silver lining playbook and American hustle. This, after all this time is his first trip to the big time. One of his movies, what we did that night, one of the characters is based on me. while filming, that guy slept with Tara Reid. In real life, I did not. Also, in real life, sorkin is pretentious. But he is a rare talent.

Brutal business, but if you have talent you will find work. Glad to hear your friend is finally getting his chance, that sounds like a huge opportunity.

exactly.
Really? I know a lot of people point to Sorkin and say "he writes amazing dialogue." If by "dialogue" you mean "monologues" that no person would actually say, or conversations that are so in-authentic to the way we actually speak, then yes, he writes great dialogue. His dialogue is an idealized version of how people speak, but I have never heard two people carry on a high speed conversation that in any way resembles the way he writes.

I love "A Few Good Men", and "The Social Network". Not a huge fan of his TV stints, but did enjoy quite a few episodes of the Newsroom.

Sheldon Leonard - actor (It's a wonderful Life, Guys and Dolls etc) and huge tv producer (Danny Thomas show, Andy Griffith Show, Dick Van Dyke, I Spy etc).

Peter Falk, the actor from Columbo etc got his MPA from SU.

Jerry Stiller - actor, comedian (Seinfeld etc)

Vanessa Williams - Miss America, singer actress

Last edited:
Funny story, somewhat related...

When I was given SU's Arents Award 10 years ago, the other recipients that evening were Joe Biden, Ted Koppel and Mike Tirico. I assumed half the audience was wondering "Who's that woman up there with all those famous guys?"
but we knew her

How about Al Davis his sports notoriety had little to do with SU.

Take your pick. http://www.syr.edu/alumni/gallery/notable_alumni.html

Bob Costas, Ted Koppel, and Steve Krofft - journalism

Taye Diggs, Vanessa Williams, Dick Clark - entertainment

Emme, Betsey Johnson, Thom Felicia - fashion

Others not previously mentioned - Donna Shalala, Aaron Sorkin, Jerry Stiller

Not to mention the sports related former athletes and sports journalists many of whom have contributions well beyond sports including Jim Brown (actor and social activist), Dave Bing (business and politics) and Jim Boeheim (philanthropy and author)!

Bob Costas is not an alum. He left early...

Bob Costas is not an alum. He left early...
He is an alum as much as Marv Albert (who transferred to NYU after two years) or Vanessa Williams (who left school after being chosen Miss America). There is a difference between an alum and a graduate. You can be an alum without graduating. It just means you attended the school. The dictionary definition of alumnus is "graduate or former student." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alumnus

Last edited:
jekelish said:
The only answer is Joe Biden. You don't have to like him, but he's the freaking VP. There's only one job in this country more prominent than that.
Prominent...how do you define it. Buden's job is noteworthy, but if the definition is famous, he's probably not top ten. Politicians, generally are more influential than famous. Most Americans don't know or care who the VP is. Dick Clark, Bob Costas..., are much more famous.

FWIW, if you put JAB and Joe Biden in a two man lineup and asked 100 random people in the USA to name them..more would likely know Boeheim.

Last edited:
Prominent...how do you define it. Buden's job is noteworthy, but if the definition is famous, he's probably not top ten. Politicians, generally are more influential than famous. Most Americans don't know or care who the VP is. Dick Clark, Bob Costas..., are much more famous.

FWIW, if you put JAB and Joe Biden in a two man lineup and asked 100 random people in the USA to name them..more would likely know Boeheim.
Not a chance

75% (at least) of our population can't name the VP of our country - sad but true. Even worse, how many can name past VP's, even the recent ones.
For what it's worth, my first thought was Biden too.

75%+ is probably accurate as far as naming former VP's, but I would bet at least half the country can name the current VP, simply because he pops up in the news. I don't know how much better 50% is than 75%, but 75% just seems harsh on our citizens.

Any gazillionaires in the bunch? We need a T. Boone Pickens or a Phil Knight, stat. ;) :confused: :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

75%+ is probably accurate as far as naming former VP's, but I would bet at least half the country can name the current VP, simply because he pops up in the news. I don't know how much better 50% is than 75%, but 75% just seems harsh on our citizens.
I'd be surprised if 5 pct of Americans could name the veep.

Ahh...once again your confidence in the American public is showing.
I'd bet even fewer could pick him out of a lineup (and just imagine what that lineup would look like).

Some others...

220px-Sultan_Salman_Al-Saud.jpg

Sultan bin Salman Al Saud is a member of the Saudi Royal family, flew on the space shuttle and has a masters from SU.

AP_prince_alwaleed_bin_talal_jt_130730_16x9_992.jpg

Al-Waleed bin Talal is another member of the Saudi royal family, and was listed as one of Time magazine's hundred most influential people in the world. He was also listed as the 26th richest man in the world in 2013. Arabian Business ranks him as the most influential Arab in the world. He also has a masters from SU.

You really think it's that low? I know America does horrible on those polls of basic knowledge but that would really be depressing even by our standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom