OT: Who would have been the best if not injured? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Who would have been the best if not injured?

Pre-injury, in 3 years, from age 20 to age 22, Derrick Rose averaged 16.8, 20.8, then 25 ppg. He won MVP in that year.

Though not a fan of his at all I would go with Rose. I think some forget how dominating he was when he was the league MVP at 22 in 2011. After that I would go with:
TMac - Great player and shooter
Penny - Maybe the most talented but more of a scorer than shooter
Roy - Was about to enter the upper echelon when he got hurt.
Hill - He went to Duke. Always avoided contact (see below)
Ming - Probably should be higher. Put up incredible stats, essentially 20/10 his last 6 years while injured.
Arenas - Probably playing another 5 years after his injury hurt his reputation. Had a 3 year stretch when he was en fuego.
Oden - Sorry. Never thought he was good in college, never thought he would be a good pro. He was tall and could dunk. Might as well have been Larue Martin.

upload_2018-4-16_17-42-44.png

Yao for certain and I don't think its particularly close.

Don't really think T Mac belongs on this he had a long career and had been in the league for a decade before the injuries derailed his career. We saw his peak. Other guys are all a little overrated. But McGrady couldn't win in the playoffs. Rose and Arenas were volume scorers. Hill was a finesse player. Chosing Penny over Shaq is one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history. Roy wasn't a great shooter. Oden was just big and developed for a teenager.

Yao for certain and I don't think its particularly close.

Don't really think T Mac belongs on this he had a long career and had been in the league for a decade before the injuries derailed his career. We saw his peak. Other guys are all a little overrated. But McGrady couldn't win in the playoffs. Rose and Arenas were volume scorers. Hill was a finesse player. Chosing Penny over Shaq is one of the dumbest decisions in NBA history. Roy wasn't a great shooter. Oden was just big and developed for a teenager.

McGrady started having back problems when he was 26. His last all star season he was 27. He was pretty much washed by 30, and was out of the league at 32. How did we see his peak?

The “couldn’t win in the playoffs” is unfair. Those Magic teams were him and a bunch of scrubs(because of Hill’s injuries and massive contract), and the injuries started pretty early in his Houston years. He still had some monster playoff series’.

I don’t think we saw his peak. He was one of the best players in the league, but he was in his early-mid 20’s in those years. Those 27-30 year old years are usually the prime of most guys careers barring injuries.

I gotta question your Grant Hill take too. Finesse player? What does that even mean? He was a small forward. He rebounded and defended well for his position. The only problem I saw with his game when healthy was his shooting range only went to about 17 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom