Our APR multi-year score was 933 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our APR multi-year score was 933

This thing is so stupid. Especially when guys like Jonny Flynn count against the program. It's like calling out Harvard as not caring about academic development because Mark Zuckerburg and Bill Gates left early. Just foolishness.

Does Jonny count against? As long as he was in good standing when he left, then he wouldn't.

These are the current 4 scores:

I've got that being an average score of 935.75, not 933, but whatever.
Different years have different weights. A season with 12 scholarships counts more than one with 10. Add up all the points earned, along with those possible, for the four year period and compute the results. Don't just average the scores of the four individual years.

Different years have different weights. A season with 12 scholarships counts more than one with 10. Add up all the points earned, along with those possible, for the four year period and compute the results. Don't just average the scores of the four individual years.

Oh no kidding? Great call, that's why the numbers were a little off. Thanks

If we score below the 925 rolling 4 year requirement, are there immediate sanctions like UCONN experienced? or do we need to score below 925 repeatedly before that happens?

If we score below the 925 rolling 4 year requirement, are there immediate sanctions like UCONN experienced? or do we need to score below 925 repeatedly before that happens?

It's going to be 930 in a year or two, and I believe it's immediate.

UK got a 989 and a rolling 4 year score of 963

they have a very successful program for their one-and-dones*

Fall Semester
General Studies 100: The College Classroom: A Simulation

English 100: How to Spell C-a-l-i-p-a-r-i

Econ 100: How to invest your illegal recruitment money

Engineering 100: The hydraulic principles of a keg

Spring Semester

English 101: How to Spell C-a-l-i-p-a-r-i II

Philiosophy 101: Your ass from a hole in the ground: a comparative study

Psychology 101: Why don't they spell it with an "S" ?

Prelaw Seminar: The Age of Consent in all 50 states

*(modified from the classic Late Show Top Ten Courses taken by UNLV basketball Players)

If a kid leaves before finishing his "class work", he forfeits his WWW promised goodies. So they all finish. Of course they also pick up their final grade at the time they register for the semester, so long as they finish.

We never use our full allotment of scholarships. I think JB should use the leftover scholarships and just give them to a couple of complete poindexters and don't even make them practice with the team. During games, they can sit on the bench and study calculus.

We never use our full allotment of scholarships. I think JB should use the leftover scholarships and just give them to a couple of complete poindexters and don't even make them practice with the team. During games, they can sit on the bench and study calculus.

He does give unused scholarships to walk-ons, no?

Yeah but we got an 878 this year and we will need practically a perfect score to get above the 925 next year.

How is that possible? First, isn't this year's score included in the 4 year rolling average if we know what it is? Secondly, I guess you're telling us that Triche and James failed to graduate, which surprises me to hear. I know that MCW finished up his classes, per his mom's blog. I mean, unless you're calling his mom a liar.

Yup; that's an 865 that is rolling off and will be replaced by whatever we did this year.

Wow though, we had an 878 for 2012; does that mean Dion didn't finish? Or Mookie? I think we can all assume that Fab didn't. Either way, the score is going to go up significantly next year, which is nice, but we cut it pretty close.

These are the current 4 scores:

I've got that being an average score of 935.75, not 933, but whatever.

In order to get a rolling 4 year score of 930 next year (that is the standard, right?) then we'd need to get at least an 842 for the season that just ended, which is obviously going to happen. We should be set for a 1,000 this year, or close to it, no?

It would've been Mookie, because he physically left school. I mean, maybe Dion, too, but definitely Mookie. He left in January, IIRC.

Don't like this system. You get a highly rated kid and don't play him because hes not ready and he leaves on bad terms or a kid like mike jones who drops out homesick, or some foreign guy who can't speak english yet alone go to class and you get shot for it. Its Bullc$ap. And some schools grade on a harder curve. Usually freshmen classes are easier then upperclassmen aren't they?

It shouldn't be team apr it should be individual plain and simple. Howbout for every school that has a bad apr the ncaa has to take a pay cut? They are quick to raise the bar against those not involved, then they should take some blame also.

JB has voiced he will get better academic kids in the acc :).

How is that possible? First, isn't this year's score included in the 4 year rolling average if we know what it is? Secondly, I guess you're telling us that Triche and James failed to graduate, which surprises me to hear. I know that MCW finished up his classes, per his mom's blog. I mean, unless you're calling his mom a liar.
I did not say Triche or Southerland failed to graduate. 878+1000/2= 939 which is really close to 925. We need to say above 925 to be eligible for the NCAA tournament. That 878 is from 2011-2012 the Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Kris Joseph, Scoop Jardine, Mookie Jones year. Mookie and Fab HURT us we don't know if Dion did. If this year we get 1000 which is possible because all the Seniors graduated and MCW is only underclassmen leaving and he finished the semester out. We will need 2 more good years after next as that 878 is a terrible score. I honestly don't get the point of your post.

The current published numbers are through the 2011-2012 season. The most recent year is not included those calculations.

Okay basic APR scores are based on a simple to calculate metric: 1 point per semester per player for retention and 1 point for being "on schedule to graduate"
The Syracuse Orange had 13 scholarship players during the 2011-2012 season.
1. Michael Carter-Williams Fr.
3. Dion Waiters So.
5. C.J. Fair So.
10. Trevor Cooney redshirt Fr.
11. Scoop Jardine Sr.
12. Baye Moussa-Keita So.
20. Brandon Triche Jr.
21. Mookie Jones Jr.
24. Brandon Reese Sr.
25. Rakeem Christmas Fr.
32. Kris Joseph Sr.
43. James Southerland Jr.
51. Fab Melo So.
With 13 scholarship players you have a total of 26 points for that year
What we know for sure
MCW earned 2
Fair earned 2
Cooney earned 2
Jardine earned 2
Keita earned 2
Triche earned 2
Reese earned 2
Christmas earned 2
Joseph earned
Southerland earned 2
That 20/26 off the bat
Fab Melo was inelgible and dropped out that is 0/2
Mookie dropped out don't know if he was ineligible so I will give him 1/2
that is 21/26
that means Dion Waiters DID IN FACT FINISH OUT the semester to earn us 23/26 and our score of 878. We got the 878 because the scholarship awarded to Reese is weighed down because he was a Sr on scholarship for 1 year.
So people need to give Dion credit or our score we would be in bad shape. Fab Melo and Mookie Jones are the ones that hurt us.

So basically even with a full in of scholorships if three kids don't graduate your screwed. 3 is so so so much worse then 2.

Okay basic APR scores are based on a simple to calculate metric: 1 point per semester per player for retention and 1 point for being "on schedule to graduate"
The Syracuse Orange had 13 scholarship players during the 2011-2012 season.
1. Michael Carter-Williams Fr.
3. Dion Waiters So.
5. C.J. Fair So.
10. Trevor Cooney redshirt Fr.
11. Scoop Jardine Sr.
12. Baye Moussa-Keita So.
20. Brandon Triche Jr.
21. Mookie Jones Jr.
24. Brandon Reese Sr.
25. Rakeem Christmas Fr.
32. Kris Joseph Sr.
43. James Southerland Jr.
51. Fab Melo So.
With 13 scholarship players you have a total of 26 points for that year
What we know for sure
MCW earned 2
Fair earned 2
Cooney earned 2
Jardine earned 2
Keita earned 2
Triche earned 2
Reese earned 2
Christmas earned 2
Joseph earned
Southerland earned 2
That 20/26 off the bat
Fab Melo was inelgible and dropped out that is 0/2
Mookie dropped out don't know if he was ineligible so I will give him 1/2
that is 21/26
that means Dion Waiters DID IN FACT FINISH OUT the semester to earn us 23/26 and our score of 878. We got the 878 because the scholarship awarded to Reese is weighed down because he was a Sr on scholarship for 1 year.
So people need to give Dion credit or our score we would be in bad shape. Fab Melo and Mookie Jones are the ones that hurt us.

Is it semesters like you say up front or for the year? Also, what is weighted down for Reese mean? 23/26 would be 884.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it semesters like you say up front or for the year? Also, what is weighted down for Reese mean? 23/26 would be 884.

If its by semester give the the first 10 3 each
30/30
Fab Melo 0/3
Dion Waiters 3/3
Mookie Jone 1/3
34/39= 878

I heard from somebody walkons put on scholarship are weighed down.

If its by semester give the the first 10 3 each
30/30
Fab Melo 0/3
Dion Waiters 3/3
Mookie Jone 1/3
34/39= 878

I heard from somebody walkons put on scholarship are weighed down.

If it is semesters, Fab may have been 1/3.

The 925 score was based on the old penalty system and is basically meaningless now, or will be in the near future, in regards to postseason ban. Keeping with your UCONN example, under the old penalty system UCONN would have only lost a scholarship or two, but would have been eligible for postseason play.

The new system was implemented in the fall of 2011 and first came into play for the 2012-2013 season based on scores from the 10-11, 09-10, 08-09, 07-08 seasons. I'm sure you can see the logical fault here. 11-12 was just released.

Either way, under the new system, immediate postseason bans are based on:

• 2013-2014 year: 900 four year average OR 930 two year average - these are current scores based on 11-12, 10-11, 09-10, 08-09
  • 2014-2015 year: 930 four year average OR 940 two year average - scores are based on 12-13, 11-12, 10-11, 09-10
  • 2015-2016 year: 930 four year average (two year averages are no longer used)- scores are based on 13-14, 12-13, 11-12, 10-11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom