Our APR multi-year score was 933 | Syracusefan.com

Our APR multi-year score was 933

Definitely cutting it close.

Measurement [edit]

Teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 925 - equivalent to a 50% graduation rate - may be penalized. A perfect score is 1000. The scores are calculated as follows:
Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score. Example: A Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team awards the full complement of 85 grants-in-aid. If 80 student-athletes remain in school and academically eligible, three remain in school but are academically ineligible and two drop out academically ineligible, the team earns 163 of 170 possible points for that term. Divide 163 by 170 and multiply by 1,000 to determine that the team’s Academic Progress Rate for that term is 959.[8]
The NCAA calculates the rate as a rolling, four-year figure that takes into account all the points student-athletes could earn for remaining in school and academically eligible during that period. Teams that do not earn an Academic Progress Rate above specific benchmarks face penalties ranging from scholarship reductions to more severe sanctions like restrictions on scholarships and practice time.[8]
Sanctions [edit]

Teams that score below 925 and have a student-athlete who both failed academically and left school can lose scholarships (up to 10 percent of their scholarships each year) under the immediate penalty structure.

It should improve next year correct? Doesn't Flynn, Harris, et al fall out for next year?

It should improve next year correct? Doesn't Flynn, Harris, et al fall out for next year?
Yeah but we got an 878 this year and we will need practically a perfect score to get above the 925 next year.

Yup; that's an 865 that is rolling off and will be replaced by whatever we did this year.

Wow though, we had an 878 for 2012; does that mean Dion didn't finish? Or Mookie? I think we can all assume that Fab didn't. Either way, the score is going to go up significantly next year, which is nice, but we cut it pretty close.

These are the current 4 scores:

I've got that being an average score of 935.75, not 933, but whatever.

In order to get a rolling 4 year score of 930 next year (that is the standard, right?) then we'd need to get at least an 842 for the season that just ended, which is obviously going to happen. We should be set for a 1,000 this year, or close to it, no?

Yeah but we got an 878 this year and we will need practically a perfect score to get above the 925 next year.

The 4 year score will still be fine because of the 2 perfect scores. I was surprised we did so poorly this year. For the 2014 tournament, you needed either a 930 4 year average of a 940 2 year average. Our 2 year score was 939, and our 4 year is either 933 or 935.75; so the 2 year wasn't going to cut it, and the 4 year just made it. So it's kind of scary how close we were to being ineligible for the tournament next year. After that, I believe it's just a 930 rolling 4 year. The 878 for last year is a little worrisome, but as long as the score this year is anything decent, we're fine.

The 4 year score will still be fine because of the 2 perfect scores. I was surprised we did so poorly this year. For the 2014 tournament, you needed either a 930 4 year average of a 940 2 year average. Our 2 year score was 939, and our 4 year is either 933 or 935.75; so the 2 year wasn't going to cut it, and the 4 year just made it. So it's kind of scary how close we were to being ineligible for the tournament next year. After that, I believe it's just a 930 rolling 4 year. The 878 for last year is a little worrisome, but as long as the score this year is anything decent, we're fine.
by all accounts, SU will have another perfect score this year (MCW will finish his school work and leave in good standing), so the 4 year score next year should be ~969

Yeah, this was for 2011-2012 NOT this year. I figure since MCW finished the semester and Southerland, Triche graduated, and two walkons on scholarship graduated that should inflate our numbers. The bigger question is did Dion finish his classes and if he didn't woof our Fab Melo killed our score. Joseph, Scoop graduated.

Yeah, this was for 2011-2012 NOT this year. I figure since MCW finished the semester and Southerland, Triche graduated, and two walkons on scholarship graduated that should inflate our numbers. The bigger question is did Dion finish his classes and if he didn't woof our Fab Melo killed our score. Joseph, Scoop graduated.
Mookie Jones left school mid season, too. I think Mookie and Fab were the drivers of the poor score, not Dion.

Mookie Jones left school mid season, too. I think Mookie and Fab were the drivers of the poor score, not Dion.

That's what I figure, I'm just surprised that 2 guys could kill the score that much.

Anyone know how Southerland's issues last season will factor into future numbers? Or is whether he finished the semester the only thing that matters?

So, what does Kentucky score? Like somewhere in the 4000s?
UK got a 989 and a rolling 4 year score of 963

they have a very successful program for their one-and-dones*

Fall Semester
General Studies 100: The College Classroom: A Simulation

English 100: How to Spell C-a-l-i-p-a-r-i

Econ 100: How to invest your illegal recruitment money

Engineering 100: The hydraulic principles of a keg

Spring Semester

English 101: How to Spell C-a-l-i-p-a-r-i II

Philiosophy 101: Your ass from a hole in the ground: a comparative study

Psychology 101: Why don't they spell it with an "S" ?

Prelaw Seminar: The Age of Consent in all 50 states

*(modified from the classic Late Show Top Ten Courses taken by UNLV basketball Players)

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

*(modified from the classic Late Show Top Ten Courses taken by UNLV basketball Players)
Wasn'there also one about "Subtraction, addition's tricky partner" or was that taken from one about SMU?

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

You forgot Gym Class: Shooting for Dummies. 40 S&W or 9mm Luger ?

james ad triche both graduated, and mcw left in god standing, we are fine for next year. I feel mookie and fab hurt us, not dion

This thing is so stupid. Especially when guys like Jonny Flynn count against the program. It's like calling out Harvard as not caring about academic development because Mark Zuckerburg and Bill Gates left early. Just foolishness.

We will need 3 good years in a row to make up for this VERY poor number this year. Having two 1000 will for next year, but we will need two more really good years before this past year will be wiped off the books. Apparently players can come back and help earn points back for the APR I would hope Mookie, or whomever could comeback to earn lost points would consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom