Our boring style has produced two #1 seeds | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Our boring style has produced two #1 seeds

Disagree. Michigan had the players and skill to give UL a hell of a game. That was an exciting final. 82-76. They shot 52% and 44% from 3. 72% from the line and lost. We would've scored like 50 and lost by 20, imo.

All I know is we beat Louisville in Louisville without Southerland. We played them tight in the dome. Outside of Southerland 3pt shooting wasn't that teams strength. I do think Boeheim should have put the ball in Triches hands earlier because that's when we started to play better. Southerland/MCW combined for 7 points. That was the difference.

You don't get my point.
When your offensive system relies on good talent to be effective it's a terrible system. As most systems with good talent are effective.

JB not tweeking his offensive system has hurt him when we have lost in the tournament recently. Somebody pages back outlined this. We have had a good defense but we have neglected the offense. That is on the coach. Not the players if its all the players then we aren't winning a NC until we get another Melo.
We came a missed free throw on our end from winning a title before Melo. But I do think we need a star player to win a national title. Of course we can win one by fluke. others have done it. NC State had 90% free throw shooters miss all the way to their title in '84. But I think we need a star.

Disagree. Michigan had the players and skill to give UL a hell of a game. That was an exciting final. 82-76. They shot 52% and 44% from 3. 72% from the line and lost. We would've scored like 50 and lost by 20, imo.
I will say we had beaten UL in Louisville and played them close in the Dome where Hancock beat us in the last minute.
Then we dominated them first 27 minutes of the BET final. I think we could have beaten them if good MCW showed up. The zone dominated Siva.
Smith and Dieng would have been problems.
I am pissed we lost to Michigan because I think we could have beaten UL.

You don't get my point.
When your offensive system relies on good talent to be effective it's a terrible system. As most systems with good talent are effective.

JB not tweeking his offensive system has hurt him when we have lost in the tournament recently. Somebody pages back outlined this. We have had a good defense but we have neglected the offense. That is on the coach. Not the players if its all the players then we aren't winning a NC until we get another Melo.
And just so that you know, the proper way to phrase that is , I'm not making myself clear. you never say you don't get my point.

We came a missed free throw on our end from winning a title before Melo. But I do think we need a star player to win a national title. Of course we can win one by fluke. others have done it. NC State had 90% free throw shooters miss all the way to their title in '84. But I think we need a star.
1987 CBB is long gone. JB should get another Nc he has been a great coach he deserves another.

And just so that you know, the proper way to phrase that is , I'm not making myself clear. you never say you don't get my point.
Fair enough I apologize.

1987 CBB is long gone. JB should get another Nc he has been a great coach he deserves another.
This year if the NCAA will get us in and let me draw up the brackets

That's not how our matchups with Louisville went that year, though. We beat them, lost a close game in the BET finals. Rubber match would have been interesting.

That wasn't a shot. Swear to God. learned that the hard way 35 years ago in a business meeting.
I didn't take it as one. Friendly suggestion is how I took it. I get plenty wrong.

That's not how our matchups with Louisville went that year, though. We beat them, lost a close game in the BET finals. Rubber match would have been interesting.

For sure. We'll never know. Just my opinion that Don Pitino would've made more adjustments and clamped us down.

That first half against Louisville in the BET final was magical. MSG was as loud as I ever heard it. Too bad we couldn't keep it up but no shame losing to the eventual champs.

That first half against Louisville in the BET final was magical. MSG was as loud as I ever heard it. Too bad we couldn't keep it up but no shame losing to the eventual champs.

Yeah, I was there and it was insane. As crazy as I've witnessed in many BET games that I had attended. JS was on fire and then that 4th foul just under the 16 minute mark in the game. And, that was it. We went from being up 12 to down 9 in what seemed to be literally a minute, let alone a New York one. :(

Notre Dame is stacked with system guys who play GREAT together, love the way they play.

Also, 4 years in the ACC, 4 years being top 4 in the conference playing for their second title. Mike Brey is the most underrated coach out there - and at Notre Dame of all places if that's possible.

Also, 4 years in the ACC, 4 years being top 4 in the conference playing for their second title. Mike Brey is the most underrated coach out there - and at Notre Dame of all places if that's possible.

Brey recruits good offensive players who fit their system. They redshirt a lot of guys. They don't have players leave early. And they've had quality role playing big men.

Winning formula, especially when they have an experienced nucleus of players.

Our offense sucks.
We have shooters. They are making tough shots.
Our offense is easy to defend. We don't move the ball. We don't pass to the paint.

Our offense is all one on one or jump shots. When we make those shots we win. We did that at home on the road our offense wasn't the same.
Plain and simple to understand.

Fran Franscilla in the Wisconsin game this year basically said what I have been saying. Our offensive identity is to rely on talent. That is sad.
We don't run anymore. We used to have a transition game to help score easy baskets. Since 2013 that has gone away.
JB seems like he wants to win games on defense and just hope we make enough jumpers to help the zone.
That is a recipe to win games but it's got such a small margin for error it loses games as well.
Hard to get much scoring inside when your guards can't consistently execute entry passes. Hard to score in transition when you can't consistently force turnovers or rebound, and you have few guys who can handle or pass the ball reliably. It's a minor miracle that this team won 10 games in conference and scored 76 points per game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom