Our boring style has produced two #1 seeds | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Our boring style has produced two #1 seeds

I would rather have UConn's 2014 NC over our 2 Final Fours.

They had guys who could actually make shots in a Final Four.

Final Fours are nice but ask me did I enjoy the 18-1 2007 Patriots who lost in the SB or 17-2 2016 Patriots who won the SB more?

I want titles. Relying on one side exclusively won't win it all. 2003 was well rounded.
Our 2013 team didn't lose to Michigan because of their offense. That was a tough game that could have gone either way. By the way, yesterday we were talking about the old Big east and you mentioned how Gavitt saw a hole and helped fill it. That is partially true but not completely. Gavitt was reacting to something that had already happened. That is, a Eastern league was already formed. the eastern eight. Eight of our peer school had already dropped out of the ECAC and formed a league. It would be a mistake to now think that those schools were not of the class of the Big east schools that formed later. They were. Nova had gone to the championship game earlier in the decade. Rutgers had gone to the final four unbeaten just a few years earlier. Pitt. West Virginia, Umass, etc. The difference was that the Big east got a tv contract and the Eastern Eight didn't. And I might add, the tv contract wasn't very good. But coupled with fortunate recruiting in the early 80's, Ewing to G-town, Mullins going to St John's instead of Duke and of course the Pearl, it was off to the races for the Big East. Gavitt was responding to a move not innovating one.

Our 2013 team didn't lose to Michigan because of their offense. That was a tough game that could have gone either way. By the way, yesterday we were talking about the old Big east and you mentioned how Gavitt saw a hole and helped fill it. That is partially true but not completely. Gavitt was reacting to something that had already happened. That is, a Eastern league was already formed. the eastern eight. Eight of our peer school had already dropped out of the ECAC and formed a league. It would be a mistake to now think that those schools were not of the class of the Big east schools that formed later. They were. Nova had gone to the championship game earlier in the decade. Rutgers had gone to the final four unbeaten just a few years earlier. Pitt. West Virginia, Umass, etc. The difference was that the Big east got a tv contract and the Eastern Eight didn't. And I might add, the tv contract wasn't very good. But coupled with fortunate recruiting in the early 80's, Ewing to G-town, Mullins going to St John's instead of Duke and of course the Pearl, it was off to the races for the Big East. Gavitt was responding to a move not innovating one.
We lost to Michigan because of our offense. You haven't watched that game recently. Our only offensive threat was CJ Fair.
MCW and Southerland were awful.
We 100% lost to Michigan on offense.

On the Big East the ECAC had like 16 members.
Gavitt was looking out for Providence but he also was sick of the ACC raiding the Northeast because there was no real conference.

He made a deal with ESPN for exposure over money. However that exposure got the Big East money as well.

We lost to Michigan because of our offense. You haven't watched that game recently. Our only offensive threat was CJ Fair.
MCW and Southerland were awful.
We 100% lost to Michigan on offense.
LOL Southerland having a bad shooting night isn't the fault of the offensive scheme. That would be a ridiculous statement. The kid was money for most of the year. And he had hit his last 3. Triche should have given him the ball at the end instead of the drive. The point is that the offense of that team was good enough to get them to the National title game where they would have faced a team that only beat them weeks earlier with the help of a player that was they wouldn't have had in the title game.

LOL Southerland having a bad shooting night isn't the fault of the offensive scheme. That would be a ridiculous statement. The kid was money for most of the year. And he had hit his last 3. Triche should have given him the ball at the end instead of the drive. The point is that the offense of that team was good enough to get them to the National title game where they would have faced a team that only beat them weeks earlier with the help of a player that was they wouldn't have had in the title game.
The offense sucked in 2013. We scored 56 points in the Final Four. We scored 55 points in the elite eight. We scored 61 points in the Sweet 16. We scored 58 point in beating Georgetown in overtime in the Big East tournament.
Barely getting to 60 points per game is horrible offense. Especially with the talent on that team.
If That team averages 65ppg it wins a NC.

On the Big East the ECAC had like 16 members.
Gavitt was looking out for Providence but he also was sick of the ACC raiding the Northeast because there was no real conference.

He made a deal with ESPN for exposure over money. However that exposure got the Big East money as well.
That isn't true at all. The ECAC had a lot more than 16 teams. Almost everyone was ECAC in '78. The original tv deal was not with ESPN. It was horrible. The Monday night game was on taped delay at 11:30. I remember one night staying up until 1:30 to watch the Syracuse G-town game (I refused to see the score earlier) as Marty Headd hit a shot to beat those basxxxds. I'm not taking anything away from gavitt. it is just revisionist history today when he is given credit for being an innovator. The eastern eight was already formed.

The offense sucked in 2013. We scored 56 points in the Final Four. We scored 55 points in the elite eight. We scored 61 points in the Sweet 16. We scored 58 point in beating Georgetown in overtime in the Big East tournament.
Barely getting to 60 points per game is horrible offense. Especially with the talent on that team.
If That team averages 65ppg it wins a NC.
you over rate that talent. One NBA player. And he can't shoot. when we have had good offensive players, we scored a lot of points.

Yeah I agree with Alsacs. We couldn't stop McGary early on, had lots of empty possessions on offense, and got behind early. I think the defense was pretty good except for the interior where Baye was getting eaten alive. They were doing a good job on Burke, Stauskas, etc. Felt like catch up the whole game. The only thing that worked was CJ ISO on whoever that was. Glenn Robinson III?

Yeah I agree with Alsacs. We couldn't stop McGary early on, had lots of empty possessions on offense, and got behind early. I think the defense was pretty good except for the interior where Baye was getting eaten alive. They were doing a good job on Burke, Stauskas, etc. Felt like catch up the whole game. The only thing that worked was CJ ISO on whoever that was. Glenn Robinson III?
the game came down to a couple of 50 50 calls that went the other way. It really was as simple as that.

the game came down to a couple of 50 50 calls that went the other way. It really was as simple as that.
We scored 56 points. How many Final Four games since 1985 have been won by a team scoring in the 50s?

Overrated talent? CJ Fair was a 2nd team All-American, Southerland is basically Andrew White and MCW was our best rebounding guard since Jason Hart.

Watch Iowa, Notre Dame, UCLA, Creighton, these teams don't have elite talent and their coaches scheme/recruit to a good offense.

The talent on these teams over the past 8 years hasn't been better than us and they all have great offenses.

If JB had Fran McCaffrey's offense with his zone we would have another NC recently IMO.

Notre Dame is stacked with system guys who play GREAT together, love the way they play.

There is truth to that but in terms of game flow, to me, it never felt like we were in it. It obviously was catch up almost the whole game. They were the better team.

We made a run in the FF against Michigan when Triche moved to the point. He and CJ played well. MCW and Southerland didn't show up. Should've put the ball in Triche hands earlier IMO.

We scored 56 points. How many Final Four games since 1985 have been won by a team scoring in the 50s?

Overrated talent? CJ Fair was a 2nd team All-American, Southerland is basically Andrew White and MCW was our best rebounding guard since Jason Hart.
Fair and Southerland are playing where now? And it isn't a real high compliment when you talk about a pt guards rebounding ability. 3 pt shooting, yes.

We made a run in the FF against Michigan when Triche moved to the point. He and CJ played well. MCW and Southerland didn't show up. Should've put the ball in Triche hands earlier IMO.
Was our offense good that game though?
We had no offense for stretches. We shut down Michigan's perimeter game. McGary was it.

Fair and Southerland are playing where now? And it isn't a real high compliment when you talk about a pt guards rebounding ability. 3 pt shooting, yes.
Peyton Siva and Russ Smith are playing where?
They won the NC that year. You can't make this argument and be serious.

Peyton Siva and Russ Smith are playing where?
They won the NC that year. You can't make this argument and be serious.
I can't make the argument that how well a pt guard rebounds is a important stat? I disagree.

You guys forced me to look at that boxscore, so damn you both.

Southerland rained in 5 points, our early entry MCW dropped in 2. His pro teammate Jerami Grant put in 4. That's not coaching that's on them.

As far as the Indiana game I was at it and they never had a prayer, talking our point totals in that one or Marquette is foolish. Once JB got his lead he played the clock, not the midwesterners across the court.

I can't make the argument that how well a pt guard rebounds is a important stat? I disagree.
You said where are Fair and Southerland now.
Southerland actually turned down an NBA team because he didn't want to be stashed for a year.
He is making good money in the French league now.

Was our offense good that game though?
We had no offense for stretches. We shut down Michigan's perimeter game. McGary was it.

I thought Triche in the P&R and CJ in the high post worked well. It just wasn't our game plan the entire game. Our lottery pick didn't show up, couldn't shoot, and still can't shoot in the association.

You said where are Fair and Southerland now.
Southerland actually turned down an NBA team because he didn't want to be stashed for a year.
He is making good money in the French league now.
I hope the NBA team got over that.

You guys forced me to look at that boxscore, so damn you both.

Southerland rained in 5 points, our early entry MCW dropped in 2. His pro teammate Jerami Grant put in 4. That's not coaching that's on them.

As far as the Indiana game I was at it and they never had a prayer, talking our point totals in that one or Marquette is foolish. Once JB got his lead he played the clock, not the midwesterners across the court.
Our offense sucked that entire year. We won games on the best zone D ever. Also in the Indiana game MCW cemented his lottery status against Victor Oladipo. He was the offense that game.

I hope the NBA team got over that.
You mocking players to defend a crappy 2013 offense isn't funny.

If JB worked on offensive sets just a little that 2013 team was a NC worthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom