our boy gottlieb starting early | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

our boy gottlieb starting early

I've actually been wondering where he's been. Never see him on TV anymore. Did he get fired from everything? I can guarantee he is chomping for selection time to come to bring up the St Johns game just like he did last year. In fact I'll bet it takes precedence to everything in his life including his kids activities if he has kids.

he does a CBS radio show that also gets televised on the CBS sports cable network in the afternoon. that's the same channel that shows AAC basketball to give you an idea of the zero ratings.

I don't blame anyone for being a little down on Syracuse this year. We had perhaps the worst non-conference season of my 43+ years on earth. We need to prove ourselves beyond a doubt in the ACC. So far, we're in decent shape, but we probably need to end up at 11-7 to be considered safely in.

A lot of people are saying we need to split this week, but I personally think we need to win both

It's obvious the other teams are going to have more difficult schedules than us since they have to play us.

Duh, Doug.

I don't blame anyone for being a little down on Syracuse this year. We had perhaps the worst non-conference season of my 43+ years on earth. We need to prove ourselves beyond a doubt in the ACC. So far, we're in decent shape, but we probably need to end up at 11-7 to be considered safely in.

A lot of people are saying we need to split this week, but I personally think we need to win both

theres no doubt about that. if he said our non conference stunk we need more wins that 1 thing. but calling our acc schedule the easiest (it isnt, duke's has been easier so far, and theres probably others too) and discounting our top wins cuz they were at home is so stupid and petty. then when you call him out for not mentioning our tough road games he says we lost those lol. cant have it both ways dougie

110% is the need to win both.

there should be no doubt.

ZERO margin for error here.

"Softest ACC schedule" is harder than the "toughest" SEC, Big East, AAC, Big 10, Big 12, or PAC 12 schedule.

Exactly what I was going to point out. I don't think any of those teams are dying to trade with us.

Where our schedule ranks in the ACC is irrelevant. What matters is how many games against the top 25 ranked teams (or top RPI/BPI 25) versus other bubble teams...and how many of the signature games did we win compared to other bubble competitors. As of today's rankings...SU will have played or are scheduled to play 7 games vs top 25 teams per AP and 8 by ESPN Coaches Poll. That is more than just about anyone per my cursory quick check. For example Northwestern has or will play just 4. So far we have 2 wins with 3 more chances vs top 25 games to come in the regular season.

yes.

and we shouldn't make it this year because we lost to them again AND the Beantown clowns.

not to mention gtown.

got a lot of work to do...

Of course they deserved to get in. I seem to remember you being one of the prime people giving me a hard time last year after I was saying we still had a decent chance after every loss. You not only responded that it was not possible you usually did it with insults as well. Then again this year you overstate what is needed to get in.

Last edited:
I'm surprised our conference win percentage is higher than Duke given be played BC twice.

But they also played FSU, Lville, VT, and Notre Dame on the road.

just for $.hits and giggles i compared our acc schedule so far with duke.

our acc opponents winning % is .458

duke acc opponents winning % is .439

oh look, gottlieb is wrong again
it's not just who you play, it's where you play them.
SU and Duke conference is roughly equal - they are the 3rd weakest in the ACC at the moment, edging us out by 1/100th of a point on KenPom.
We'll pass them after tonight's game, but they'll probably pass us again after they play UNC on Thursday.

Gottlieb's point behind his trolling is correct: we should be careful to read to much into our very good conference record so far, because it has been built on a favorable schedule. We need to finish strong. It's not that controversial if you don't rise to his bait.

Here is how I view Doug.

He is extremely smart. Very well informed. For the most part I like listening to him talk about college basketball. When it comes to talking about resumes and results, he is as good as any media guy in the business. When guys on CBS make generic comments about whether a team is in/out and they do not support it, Doug will call them out.

But when you combine knowledge, with a bias, you get a person who can be intellectually dishonest at times. And perhaps not even intentionally.

There is clearly a lot of tension between Doug and Syracuse fans. He has made it clear himself of his run ins with Syracuse fans in the past. Perhaps in his mind, it is our fans that have caused this. I don't know who to blame, but the fact is that there is now clear tension. And when you add tension + smarts, you will get twisted facts.

hook.jpg

He must really enjoy trolling our fanbase. You guys bite every time.

We don't have to win both. We need 11 wins to ice a berth. Anyway we can get it.

That's true, but the games this week and the 2 games against GT are the easier games of the remaining 7. If we blow one or both of the games this week, the pressure will mount and we'll need to possibly win a game against Louisville or Duke.

That's true, but the games this week and the 2 games against GT are the easier games of the remaining 7. If we blow one or both of the games this week, the pressure will mount and we'll need to possibly win a game against Louisville or Duke.
LOL I didn't say I didn't want to win these games or that they aren't important. Just that we don't have to win both or we would be dead. That isn't true.

Of course they deserved to get in. I seem to remember you being one of the prime people giving me a hard time last year after I was saying we still had a decent chance after every loss. You not only responded that it was not possible you usually did it with insults as well. Then again this year you overstate what is needed to get in.
you got the wrong guy.

im pro JB and pro Cuse till the end.

or maybe you need your sarcasm meter adjusted.

We don't have to win both. We need 11 wins to ice a berth. Anyway we can get it.
hope your right, but I don't want to chance it.

in your scenario, losing 1 of these, means we mustve beat either dook or lville to get to 11.

that could work, but it will be scary. would rather have both, both gatechs...and 1 of the above.

hope your right, but I don't want to chance it.

in your scenario, losing 1 of these, means we mustve beat either dook or lville to get to 11.

that could work, but it will be scary. would rather have both, both gatechs...and 1 of the above.
I think we win both. And of course I would rather we do just that.

Always need to look beyond just the W/L to be predictive. Syracuse is 8th in the league in point differential, has 9 losses, and a middling point differential. Using those numbers, SU ranks a little lower in the ACC pack than they do if you just look at W/L. However, it only comes down to beating the opponents in front of you. Every team controls their own destiny. And if Syracuse is a better team now than they were three weeks ago, that can have a tremendous impact going forward that is not reflected in the season aggregate numbers.

What about no wins vs UL and Duke but win the rest. W's against Clemson/2X GTech/Pitt. What do you guys think? Conference record means nothing. It's been stated. It's about who you have beaten and whole body of work. Would we have enough quality wins or would there need to be another signature win in an ACCT setting? I have no idea.

What about no wins vs UL and Duke but win the rest. W's against Clemson/2X GTech/Pitt. What do you guys think? Conference record means nothing. It's been stated. It's about who you have beaten and whole body of work. Would we have enough quality wins or would there need to be another signature win in an ACCT setting? I have no idea.

i think 11 acc wins would get us in no matter who the wins come against. think about it, if we beat clemson gtech 2x and pitt thats 3 more road wins right there, thats huge. we already have 2 big time wins against fsu and virginia. and we'd be have huge head to head wins against fellow bubble teams clemson and ga tech.

11 acc wins would mean either we get more big time wins against duke and/or lousiville, or if we lose those games we'd have more road wins against bubble teams.

i think 11 acc wins would get us in no matter who the wins come against. think about it, if we beat clemson gtech 2x and pitt thats 3 more road wins right there, thats huge. we already have 2 big time wins against fsu and virginia. and we'd be have huge head to head wins against fellow bubble teams clemson and ga tech.

11 acc wins would mean either we get more big time wins against duke and/or lousiville, or if we lose those games we'd have more road wins against bubble teams.

Yeah, those roads games would be huge and against fellow bubble teams like you say. Hopefully we are in a good position pre-ACCT. Those haven't gone well.