Our brand of football is boring | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our brand of football is boring

Explain who you want to play like then.

I already did. I named names. Every one of those HCs has Os that score a ton of points. You can really add Chip Kelly's system to that as well. I am in no way advocating for our 2021 O. That was boring and not a good long term strategy.

I already did. I named names. Every one of those HCs has Os that score a ton of points. You can really add Chip Kelly's system to that as well. I am in no way advocating for our 2021 O. That was boring and not a good long term strategy.
Kansas can still throw the ball efficiently when they need to. Satterfield isn’t a good example. His teams are meh.

Liberty throws the ball about as well as us.

Even running teams that are successful have efficient passing offenses these days.

Every offense that has oline issues struggles.. We saw early in the season a team scoring 40+ because the oline did its job and it wasnt boring.. then we played 2 games against teams with better dudes on the dline and we regressed.

You need WRs. We had a great group of WRs in 2017. It has gone down hill since then.

The fact that Coach P couldn't get WRs (left a joke behind), GRob lucked into one good WR, Marrone struggled to get quality WRs, Shafer was so so, and Babers cannot get anybody should tell you all you need to know.

We should probably go the running QB and ground based O route. Which happens to also be easier to block for. It doesn't have to be boring running, look at what Rich Rod was able to do. Or Malzahn's O. I don't think these guys are fits here but we can look for the next one of Chadwell, Leipold, Klieman, J. Smith, Satterfield.
6 of the best offensive players got here before Dino. Estime, Phillips, Ishmael, Neal, Strickland, and Dungey. Even Mahoney had a 300, and 400 yard passing game with them.
3 receivers who got open and caught the ball, and 2 running backs who could block, run and catch, plus 2 QB who could run and throw decently with receivers who went and got the ball.

You need WRs. We had a great group of WRs in 2017. It has gone down hill since then.

The fact that Coach P couldn't get WRs (left a joke behind), GRob lucked into one good WR, Marrone struggled to get quality WRs, Shafer was so so, and Babers cannot get anybody should tell you all you need to know.

We should probably go the running QB and ground based O route. Which happens to also be easier to block for. It doesn't have to be boring running, look at what Rich Rod was able to do. Or Malzahn's O. I don't think these guys are fits here but we can look for the next one of Chadwell, Leipold, Klieman, J. Smith, Satterfield.
you can't let the failures of a handful of consecutive coaches determine your path forward.

a million crappy schools can throw the ball.

fill the air with footballs and wr will show up. can we at least try that once before confirming we can't find fast guys to catch passes in a dome

you can't let the failures of a handful of consecutive coaches determine your path forward.

fill the air with footballs and wr will show up. can we at least try that once before confirming we can't find fast guys to catch passes in a dome
Millhouse you have advocated that for at least 10 years, and no-one has listened. Maybe in another ten years someone will, but at 77 I might not be around.

This is year 8 of trying it. Assuming you don’t count the WCO year.

SU rarely has a good pass blocking OL. Usually has only one quality WR at one time. Rarely has a QB that can pass.

Now with the portal/NIL it is hard to even keep those kids if we do find them.

I don’t give a damn what type of O we have, as long as it fits the type of kids we can get here. History says run first.

No truer words. And this is what bothers me most going forward. He doesn't realize that he isn't good at all at game management. He thinks he is good at it. And the penalties. And the type of penalties, well, you just can't win with those kind. You get beat and have to grab someone, okay, it happens. But the other stuff, just drives you crazy.
Exactly. That is what drives me nuts. I want to stay on the train but this constant stuff is really scary that he thinks he’s actually correct. If he can correct that i like the stability and can’t deal with another rebuild.

This is year 8 of trying it. Assuming you don’t count the WCO year.

SU rarely has a good pass blocking OL. Usually has only one quality WR at one time. Rarely has a QB that can pass.

Now with the portal/NIL it is hard to even keep those kids if we do find them.

I don’t give a damn what type of O we have, as long as it fits the type of kids we can get here. History says run first.
We were 90th in the country in pass attempts last year

121st the year before

2020 was goofy, teams playing different numbers of games

62nd in 2019

I shouldn't need to give you those stats, it's should be obvious

Millhouse you have advocated that for at least 10 years, and no-one has listened. Maybe in another ten years someone will, but at 77 I might not be around.
They will do it the hard way until my kids are 87

We were 90th in the country in pass attempts last year

121st the year before

2020 was goofy, teams playing different numbers of games

62nd in 2019

I shouldn't need to give you those stats, it's should be obvious

2021 I will give you. Last year we called a lot of pass plays compared to run plays. Some of those turned into runs though.

2019 we had how many sacks which are runs?

Outside of 2021 Dino has tried to be a passing team and it has failed.

2021 I will give you. Last year we called a lot of pass plays compared to run plays. Some of those turned into runs though.

2019 we had how many sacks which are runs?

Outside of 2021 Dino has tried to be a passing team and it has failed.
Dino got broken and gave up. I would prefer he keep doing what he was brought here to do. Early on he threw a lot. They couldn't stop anyone but that's separate

That’s what happens when the WRs drop perfect passes routinely. I’m fine with the offense we’re finally using our TE which is nice.

Always starts with the offensive line. 3 guys who were expected to be in the top 6 have been out. Can’t run anything with the line struggling so badly.
Goes back to recruiting (inability). We never find the gems on the OL and struggle constantly there.

One would think they'd ask the collective to go get them three or four high quality D1 OL in the off-season.

Goes back to recruiting (inability). We never find the gems on the OL and struggle constantly there.

One would think they'd ask the collective to go get them three or four high quality D1 OL in the off-season.
I am not saying this is necessarily your belief but a lot of people seem to think that since we struggle to find good lineman we should focus more on plays that depend on bad lineman opening holes for runners

We‘re boring because we don’t have big time playmakers. Get some players that make something out if nothing and the style of play would look different. I don’t even want to say anything about the total lack of talent on the offensive line. It’s been that way for seven out if the eight year Dino’s been here. You notice no one is taking any of our offensive lineman in the portal.

I am not saying this is necessarily your belief but a lot of people seem to think that since we struggle to find good lineman we should focus more on plays that depend on bad lineman opening holes for runners

Run blocking is easier than pass blocking. A decent OLmen is going to run block better. You are creating a false premise that we will get only bad OLmen.

We need a good OL coach who can coach up players and identify under recruited prospects. IMO finding quality OLmen that are over looked is easier than any other position.

It is why Marrone build a pretty good OL (and why Shafer had a winning season year 1). We haven't had a quality OL since. People like to point to 2018 but look at our RB ypc and how many sacks that line gave up.

If we can replicate what we did on the OL in 2012-13 then let's pass it 60 times a game. Being that we haven't had good OLines before and after that makes me think it isn't likely to happen consistently.

Run blocking is easier than pass blocking. A decent OLmen is going to run block better. You are creating a false premise that we will get only bad OLmen.

We need a good OL coach who can coach up players and identify under recruited prospects. IMO finding quality OLmen that are over looked is easier than any other position.

It is why Marrone build a pretty good OL (and why Shafer had a winning season year 1). We haven't had a quality OL since. People like to point to 2018 but look at our RB ypc and how many sacks that line gave up.

If we can replicate what we did on the OL in 2012-13 then let's pass it 60 times a game. Being that we haven't had good OLines before and after that makes me think it isn't likely to happen consistently.
I wasn't creating that false premise - I am responding to people that think we need to run the ball because of our bad lineman.

I just disagree that run blocking is easier than pass blocking.

Sack data is terribly unreliable in college between runs for losses and young qbs holding on to the ball way too long. it's hard to know how many sacks there were and in general sack numbers are at least 50% on the qb. so it's very hard to conclude much from sacks other than eye tests

We‘re boring because we don’t have big time playmakers. Get some players that make something out if nothing and the style of play would look different. I don’t even want to say anything about the total lack of talent on the offensive line. It’s been that way for seven out if the eight year Dino’s been here. You notice no one is taking any of our offensive lineman in the portal.
You can beat an fcs, a maac team, and 4 fbs teams with a dual threat qb and not get fired. you duke it out with other teams in the same boat and you're cooked against anyone good. Mike Leach was the guy who had a punchers chance against good teams. Babers got tired of losing and went safe. Whenever he's replaced, I hope the next guy has some appetite for risk. At least now with transfers you don't have to suffer through that year where you commit to what you want to do with players who can't do it.

Orange is the new fast.

What happened to that?

After season one I thought every WR in the NE would be giving Cuse a look.

Now all I see is a coach staring into space while kissing his finger

We didn’t see the recruiting uptick for WR/QB that was required to make OITNF work. And the 30 second three and out possessions killed the defense. So - Dino adapted to reality.

I’d prefer a more pass oriented offense, but I’m confident that people saying we need to play that style and the players we need will show up are wrong. We DID play that style and they DID NOT show up.

It would be insane to play an offense we know can’t work with the players we have, and we can’t recruit the types of players we need to make it work. “If you build it, they will come” is nonsense - if we can’t go in with a better strategy on how we’re going to successfully recruit the players needed, I cannot see why any coach would switch offenses.

“We want you to play an offense you can’t win with, but our fans will pretend to like for a few years until they call for your firing in year three” is going to be a tough sell to the candidates to replace Dino…

Players play.

talent wins out. health smooths over all things ultimately. we can't seem to stay healthy. Maybe it's our high wire act offense that creates the injury risks. The vanilla Marrone years seemed to be less injury based.

I think when Dino is gonzo (and i'm not sure i'm on that train yet), we need to worry about the trenches and find a coach who can get us to compete in this powderkeg of a division. I hope Clemson and FSU leave pronto. We don't have the talent to compete with them. And when we do, we come out of those games down multiple players.