Our brand of football is boring | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Our brand of football is boring

They both throw for over 300 yards per game.
And when texas did run last year, it was with one of the best backs in recent memory, a very good O-line and backup QB

It’s funny because Marrone had some legitimately boring offenses and I still maintained interest because it seemed we always had a shot at winning

The best passing offense we've ever had was in 2012. I assumed the records set that year would be blown away almost immediately in the Babers era. They're still there.

The best passing offense we've ever had was in 2012. I assumed the records set that year would be blown away almost immediately in the Babers era. They're still there.
Our best passing offense under Babers was his first year. We just couldn’t stop anyone.

We didn’t see the recruiting uptick for WR/QB that was required to make OITNF work. And the 30 second three and out possessions killed the defense. So - Dino adapted to reality.

I’d prefer a more pass oriented offense, but I’m confident that people saying we need to play that style and the players we need will show up are wrong. We DID play that style and they DID NOT show up.

It would be insane to play an offense we know can’t work with the players we have, and we can’t recruit the types of players we need to make it work. “If you build it, they will come” is nonsense - if we can’t go in with a better strategy on how we’re going to successfully recruit the players needed, I cannot see why any coach would switch offenses.

“We want you to play an offense you can’t win with, but our fans will pretend to like for a few years until they call for your firing in year three” is going to be a tough sell to the candidates to replace Dino…
It’s pretty crazy that his best overall WR group was the one we had in Dino’s first year(he got Etta-Tawo here but everyone else was a Shafer recruit), and his best QB was recruited by Shafer.

DeVito flopping was a major setback for the program, but hard to believe we really haven’t been able to regroup. Gadsden is like the the only stud WR we’ve had in the last 4-5 years. Nuts.

There is one ball. One more guy in the box is one more guy to block. There is a reason you don't see teams with two tailbacks very much. The whole point of the Baylor offense he was hired to run is make defenders defend as wide as possible and declare their intentions in an obvious way to make it easy to run when you have the right numbers

I understand that Millhouse but wouldn't you rather have the 2 best players and by a pretty large margin, get touches instead of scrambles by your QB because WR's either can't get open or the OL breaks down?

I understand the theory of the Baylor O, it's the execution of it that isn't happening.

Also, it saves on the wear and tear on each RB and Shrader.

Last edited:
It's crazy that we are 4-2 with another big game coming up and it feels like we are a 1-5 team just hoping to get through this week so we can wing a few more games against fellow teams in the bottom quartile of the conference.

That right there may not be boredom or about style of play but the lack of being competitive in these games, be it due to talent, mistakes or lack of discipline - in its own way makes us boring to watch in terms of being a solid bet to lose these kind of games

It's crazy that we are 4-2 with another big game coming up and it feels like we are a 1-5 team just hoping to get through this week so we can wing a few more games against fellow teams in the bottom quartile of the conference.

That right there may not be boredom or about style of play but the lack of being competitive in these games, be it due to talent, mistakes or lack of discipline - in its own way makes us boring to watch in terms of being a solid bet to lose these kind of games

We need to be better on O. We have had one Top half of the ACC ppg within conference since joining the ACC. So over 11 years the O has been mediocre to bad 10 times. Our entire O this year is Shrader which is scary for next season. When you see bad O over and over you have little hope for competing with decent teams.

Really we have had only 2012 and 2018 since McNabb left. That is two good O years over 25 seasons. Everything else has been mediocre at best.

2013 tied for last
2014 13th (next to last)
2015 10th
2016 9th
2017 8th
2018 2nd
2019 11th
2020 15th (last)
2021 12th
2022 8th

We need to be better on O. We have had one Top half of the ACC ppg within conference since joining the ACC. So over 11 years the O has been mediocre to bad 10 times. Our entire O this year is Shrader which is scary for next season. When you see bad O over and over you have little hope for competing with decent teams.

Really we have had only 2012 and 2018 since McNabb left. That is two good O years over 25 seasons. Everything else has been mediocre at best.

2013 tied for last
2014 13th (next to last)
2015 10th
2016 9th
2017 8th
2018 2nd
2019 11th
2020 15th (last)
2021 12th
2022 8th
I think the rest of the season will determine whether or not Beck is an ACC-level offensive coordinator. The last two games suggest otherwise.

you can't let the failures of a handful of consecutive coaches determine your path forward.

a million crappy schools can throw the ball.

fill the air with footballs and wr will show up. can we at least try that once before confirming we can't find fast guys to catch passes in a dome
Don’t bother.

I’ve beaten into the ground by people telling me that only 7th year TEs can play QB here.

Yeah, conversation is probably different if Babers had Tony White or Rocky Long as the DC then instead of Brian Ward.
I was having flashbacks to Tampa-2 last Saturday.

Every offense is boring when it doesn't work.
EEEEEEEEEEYUP!!!
It just seems there is no "pop" from the OLine on running plays.
On run options, Shrader is making the wrong decision on whether he or Allen takes the ball...
Many passes are slow getting to the receiver. Because the offense runs through Shrader, he is hesitant to run for fear of injury. And we're seeing that manifest itself with much indecision.

Can Beck "tune up" his offense?? Or do we end up 6-6//5-7. The "D" can only take us so far.

It’s pretty crazy that his best overall WR group was the one we had in Dino’s first year(he got Etta-Tawo here but everyone else was a Shafer recruit), and his best QB was recruited by Shafer.

DeVito flopping was a major setback for the program, but hard to believe we really haven’t been able to regroup. Gadsden is like the the only stud WR we’ve had in the last 4-5 years. Nuts.
Trishton Jackson was really good, but he only played one season (outside of the one bowl game) and it was a forgettable season.

Trishton Jackson was really good, but he only played one season (outside of the one bowl game) and it was a forgettable season.
Do you mean the team in general or Trishton? Because 66 rec. for 1026 yards and 11Tds is pretty great.

Yeah, he was good in 2019.

2020 and 2021 we had nobody.

This year with Gadsden out - nobody.

Do you mean the team in general or Trishton? Because 66 rec. for 1026 yards and 11Tds is pretty great.
Forgettable season for the program. His individual numbers were excellent.

He almost averaged a TD reception per game. For a WR, that's nutso production.

you can't let the failures of a handful of consecutive coaches determine your path forward.

a million crappy schools can throw the ball.

fill the air with footballs and wr will show up. can we at least try that once before confirming we can't find fast guys to catch passes in a dome
Didn't we do that Dino's first few years? I'm not saying I don't want to throw the ball, but I think our WR recruiting problem is bigger than not throwing the ball.

There is one ball. One more guy in the box is one more guy to block. There is a reason you don't see teams with two tailbacks very much. The whole point of the Baylor offense he was hired to run is make defenders defend as wide as possible and declare their intentions in an obvious way to make it easy to run when you have the right numbers

Ah, the old days

RJAB2WHBYJDPDCMD6EJHW3EYAY.JPG

a4fb1579584f9c5d1b027e13f687069d.jpg

What would be done with Nance and Csonka today? Linebackers? Chris Elmore?

Those facemasks didn't protect much.

I don't understand our present offensive scheme. Beck was supposed to be this offensive genius, I am not seeing it. Play calling is unimaginative. I don't see us using the entire field: short slants, mid crossing patterns, deep middle, deep sideline, bubble screens, tight end chunk plays, pre snap motion, wheel routes to the RB...We don't have the O line for deep drops, at least not every pass play, what about quick hitting pass plays used on the West Coast type offense?
What is this slant thing you speak of?

I’ve forgotten what they are at this point lol.

Didn't we do that Dino's first few years? I'm not saying I don't want to throw the ball, but I think our WR recruiting problem is bigger than not throwing the ball.
Outside of Jackson, Gadsden and Amba our best receivers were Ishmael, Erv, Estime and Custis who were all Scott Shafer recruits. We've missed that quick slot guy in the Estime/Erv mode more than anything.