Our crying need. A true center! | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Our crying need. A true center!

If it wasn't for AO's injury that team would've won the natty. Wes made that team elite.
I agree, he completed a great team almost without weakness. Hughes had to carry a team a lot more with many weaknesses. That's what makes it a tough call for me.

Wes’ greatest limitation was being unable to get his own shot, whenever he wanted it.

He could do a 1 or 2-dribble move to free up for a 3, and he was amazing around the rim w his ups and length.

Great defender, phenomenal rebounder for his size, and tremendous weak-side shotblocker.

Wes was an AA for a reason.

But he didn’t have that part of his game where he could dribble and just get to a shot, which dudes like Battle & Eli had in spades.
Yeah, he had everything but that and that's where I could see preferring Hughes. It's a tough call.

I don’t care what position he plays. He can’t dribble more than twice and he can’t play defense.

I want him back bc at the college level his one ability is key, but Bell can’t even score coming off screens.

You put him at the two, it’s downhill skiing season on our frontline and he will be hunted like he’s never seen before.

Bell should come back. But he needs to be surrounded by the right guys and listen to the coaches (as does everyone).

If we can rebound and push tempo, Bell should cook as a trailer on fast breaks.

The two at the NBA? He’s a world away. He should be in the lab sprinting through screens and learning how to come off them going left to right and right to left and be on HGH getting stronger so he can get lift and stay square.
U said about the same thing i did but u dont like him at 2. i only thought he could play there sparringly. Not live there. He definetly needs off ball practice and quick shooting practice.

I want a guy like Oregon's Nfaly Dante. This kid has been dominating tonight. He's a fifth year senior. Can we find a sophomore or junior Dante type at a mid major who's ready to take that next step? Could Frank Kepnang, who played at Washington the past two years but also dealt with injuries, be that guy? He's a great rim protector and a big physical body.

I want a guy like Oregon's Nfaly Dante. This kid has been dominating tonight. He's a fifth year senior. Can we find a sophomore or junior Dante type at a mid major who's ready to take that next step? Could Frank Kepnang, who played at Washington the past two years but also dealt with injuries, be that guy? He's a great rim protector and a big physical body.
I think Frank could definitely be that guy. He could also be a guy that gets injured and never plays again. Quite a gamble.

I don’t care what position he plays. He can’t dribble more than twice and he can’t play defense.

I want him back bc at the college level his one ability is key, but Bell can’t even score coming off screens.

You put him at the two, it’s downhill skiing season on our frontline and he will be hunted like he’s never seen before.

Bell should come back. But he needs to be surrounded by the right guys and listen to the coaches (as does everyone).

If we can rebound and push tempo, Bell should cook as a trailer on fast breaks.

The two at the NBA? He’s a world away. He should be in the lab sprinting through screens and learning how to come off them going left to right and right to left and be on HGH getting stronger so he can get lift and stay square.
I guess you are kidding. HGH is not legal.

U said about the same thing i did but u dont like him at 2. i only thought he could play there sparringly. Not live there. He definetly needs off ball practice and quick shooting practice.
One of Bell's biggest strengths is how little room he needs to get his shot off. He needs to be better about moving to get open shots, but at least part of that is the offense we were calling most of the season.

It also doesn't help when every team knows we only had one shooter, and made him the defensive priority.

Having a second reliable shooter and a pass first point guard will help Bell tremendously.

I think Moore might play a lot next season unless Starling and whomever portals in to play point guard become very reliable three point threats.

One of Bell's biggest strengths is how little room he needs to get his shot off. He needs to be better about moving to get open shots, but at least part of that is the offense we were calling most of the season.

It also doesn't help when every team knows we only had one shooter, and made him the defensive priority.

Having a second reliable shooter and a pass first point guard will help Bell tremendously.

I think Moore might play a lot next season unless Starling and whomever portals in to play point guard become very reliable three point threats.

Starling already has improved and become a pretty reliable 3pt threat.

After an atrociously bad start shooting this season, he finished up at 32% for the year from 3.
(Which - MATH! - means he shot a lot better than 32% to bump his average up like that.

Here are his shooting #’s for his first 2 years:

ND 40% 2’s, 30% 3’s, 64% FT’s.
SU 54% 2’s, 32% 3’s, 71% FT’s.

In ACC play, JJ shot:
48% from the field!!
36% from 3.
75% FT’s.

(For reference: Judah was 42% and 21% from 3. Ooof.)

I’d say the JJ that ended this season is a more than adequate shooter, from anywhere on the floor.

After an atrociously bad start shooting this season, he finished up at 32% for the year from 3.
(Which - MATH! - means he shot a lot better than 32% to bump his average up like that.

In ACC play, JJ shot:
48% from the field!!
36% from 3.
75% FT’s.

I’d say the JJ that ended this season is a more than adequate shooter, from anywhere on the floor.

Just need JJ to become a better passer as a 2G and really lock in on being a plus defender

In ACC play, JJ shot:
48% from the field!!
36% from 3.
75% FT’s.

I'll second this... From 1/16/24 (@Pitt) through the end of the season, Starling was 57.9% from 2 and 36.3% from three. He averaged 15.8 ppg on .577 TS.

He was pretty good, and pretty consistent, with only a handful of stinkers shooting the ball.

Starling is another good candidate to become great with only incremental improvement.

Maybe Moore has more of an uphill battle than I thought... Although, he could sub for either Starling or Bell if we want to keep two good shooters out there at all times.

We have no big man development because we don't have a coach on the staff that actually played anything other than guard. Frankly it is ludicrous to have an entire coaching staff of nothing but point guards, plus stragham (not sure what he was).

We have no big man development because we don't have a coach on the staff that actually played anything other than guard. Frankly it is ludicrous to have an entire coaching staff of nothing but point guards, plus stragham (not sure what he was).

First I would disagree on no big man development because Maliq, Jesse, Sidibe, Marek, Paschal all improved while at Syracuse.

This theory has flaws as far as you need to play the position to coach it. The best big men in the history of the program were coached by Bernie Fine (Manager) and Mike Hopkins (Forward). The level of recruit has dropped quite a bit and therefore it appears there is no development. Some guys just can't hang no matter how much work they put in or how well they are coached.

I would argue those players you listed have very extremely limited offensive post moves. And I would say Jesse improved DESPITE not having a coach who really knows the ins and outs of playing that position. Imagine how good Jesse could have been if he actually was mentored by a real big man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom