Our last 8 possessions offensively 1 player touched the ball the entire possession | Syracusefan.com

Our last 8 possessions offensively 1 player touched the ball the entire possession

That is a problem.
We are too easy to defend.
This season is a pass but JB won’t change the offense. It will be the same ISO crap next year and the talent will be better.

We have to be the easiest team in college basketball to prepare for. This isn't 2003 anymore where the zone is a novelty. Everyone is familiar with it. Perhaps in part to JB's success with Coach K and the Olympic team.

When you play us, you know exactly what you're going to get. ISO offense, and 2-3 zone. If you see our press, congrats you're probably well on your way to a win. You know what are offense is going to do, whether it's working or not. You know what our defense is going do until the game is on the verge of turning into a blowout.

Hell, look at the plays Manning was able to develop and use against us at Wake. Uggh. It's the same old song and dance.

There just isn't any ball movement on offense. Battle and Howard exchange the ball outside the arc until the shot clock is down to 8 and then one of them puts up a bad shot. That's not an offense.

Come on, it's a highly sophisticated dribble-drive isolation offense featuring ball screens and...ummm...other stuff.

We have to be the easiest team in college basketball to prepare for. This isn't 2003 anymore where the zone is a novelty. Everyone is familiar with it. Perhaps in part to JB's success with Coach K and the Olympic team.

When you play us, you know exactly what you're going to get. ISO offense, and 2-3 zone. If you see our press, congrats you're probably well on your way to a win. You know what are offense is going to do, whether it's working or not. You know what our defense is going do until the game is on the verge of turning into a blowout.

Hell, look at the plays Manning was able to develop and use against us at Wake. Uggh. It's the same old song and dance.
This is on the head coach, right? I know some here think he is infallable, etc.

Considering Battle is averaging more turnovers than assists and less than an assist and a half a game, safe to say if he has the ball he's going to make a basket, miss the basket, or turn it over.

With his percentages the outcome has pretty good chances of being bad. Mix him with Brissett we have volume shooters who aren't great shooters and dont pass the ball.

This year's team has looked it's best moving around on offense and passing the ball around. Don't know how JB doesn't see this.

No I haven't won 1000 games but I've played and watched a lot of ball in my 27 years... What we do on offense is BAD and hard to watch. That's just the facts.

Yes it is. And if you question it you get the...he’s a hall of famer who knows more than you response. For someone who is paid 7 figures it sure seems like he could come up with something different.

No I haven't won 1000 games but I've played and watched a lot of ball in my 27 years... What we do on offense is BAD and hard to watch. That's just the facts.

So what is the Coach doing wrong versus the players that we have?

So what is the Coach doing wrong versus the players that we have?

Who brought the players here? These are division 1 basketball players. Last year we had 4 guys who could shoot 3s on the court at once and guess what? The offense was bad. Was that a player issue too? At what point can scheme and gameplan be questioned here? Not every basketball player can do it all like Carmelo or Wes could. Most players have certain abilities they can contribute and that's where the staff comes into play. Our roster is limited, yes. Is everyone on the court so limited with zero positive abilities that the coach is completely free from some questioning (just some calm debate, I'm talking. I'm not breaking doors down here).

Setting screens with chukwu is terrible. What do we gain from it?

Last edited:
Who brought the players here? These are division 1 basketball players. Last year we had 4 guys who could shoot 3s on the court at once and guess what? The offense was bad. Was that a player issue too? At what point can scheme and gameplan be questioned here? Not every basketball player can do it all like Carmelo or Wes could. Most players have certain abilities they can contribute and that's where the staff comes into play. Our roster is limited, yes. Is everyone on the court so limited with zero positive abilities that the coach is completely free from some questioning (just some calm debate, I'm talking. I'm not breaking doors down here).

Setting screens with Chuwku is terrible. What do we gain from it?

You gain a 72 guy bringing a defender to the guy with the ball and taking him away from an offensive rebounding opportunity and putting him in no position to receive a pass and do anything with the ball if he gets it.

Can't think of a positive thing.

The zone isn’t the issue. In fact, we have the players to play the zone and we have been good defensively and on the boards.

Don’t make it what it isn’t. The offense is literally terrible. The iso and high ball screen crap is getting old and JB isn’t adjusting. IMO he’s not a very good HC offense coach. He’s GREAT at other things, but HC offense is not one of them.

When you up 21 OFF REB and you get outrebiunded by 15 and you can’t shoot...you’re gonna lose.

It’s not the zone.

44cuse

Setting screens with Chuwku is terrible. What do we gain from it?
JB has said hes trying to get their big away from the basket. Which to me is pretty much an admission that JBs dribble drive offense has go to guys who struggle to finish around the basket against any size.

The best ive seen JBs offense in the last few years was in the second half against UVa, elite 8. JB ran less hi screen in that half and more iso for his perpetual dribble drive O. When you have quasi nba guys like G and Mal, you can finish over bigs. Not to mention uva really didnt have a rim protector. So iso over hi screen made sense. We clearly this yr dont have the right personel for JBs fairly predictable O philosophy. Hopefully next year a couple stud freshmen and maybe a more experienced OB and/or FH can change that!

There just isn't any ball movement on offense. Battle and Howard exchange the ball outside the arc until the shot clock is down to 8 and then one of them puts up a bad shot. That's not an offense.

It is sort of humorous at times. It seems like we have zero PEOPLE movement for long stretches, much less ball movement. Then eventually Howard yells at someone that they should go to the free throw line. By then we have like 10 seconds on the shot clock.

That is a problem.
We are too easy to defend.
This season is a pass but JB won’t change the offense. It will be the same ISO crap next year and the talent will be better.
That’s all you need to know. We run the same offense whether we have Carmelo or frank Howard. That’s on coaching.

Setting screens with chukwu is terrible. What do we gain from it?

The occasional moving screen?

Considering Battle is averaging more turnovers than assists and less than an assist and a half a game, safe to say if he has the ball he's going to make a basket, miss the basket, or turn it over.

My first thought when I read this was the old Woody Hayes' quote regarding passing the football, "Three things can happen, and two of them are bad." This is how you accurately described our main option...

The zone isn’t the issue. In fact, we have the players to play the zone and we have been good defensively and on the boards.

Don’t make it what it isn’t. The offense is literally terrible. The iso and high ball screen crap is getting old and JB isn’t adjusting. IMO he’s not a very good HC offense coach. He’s GREAT at other things, but HC offense is not one of them.

When you up 21 OFF REB and you get outrebiunded by 15 and you can’t shoot...you’re gonna lose.

It’s not the zone.

44cuse

The zone per se isn't the problem. It's the overall predicactibility. With that said, it probably exacerbated the offensive rebound we were giving up.

With his percentages the outcome has pretty good chances of being bad. Mix him with Brissett we have volume shooters who aren't great shooters and dont pass the ball.

This year's team has looked it's best moving around on offense and passing the ball around. Don't know how JB doesn't see this.
It seems to me that JB is like the character of coach Kilmer in the movie varsity blues. "we only do one thing on defense and five plays on offense. I'm the coach and we are not changing,."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom