Our last 8 possessions offensively 1 player touched the ball the entire possession | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our last 8 possessions offensively 1 player touched the ball the entire possession

Not sure why people complain about this year after year... We’ve had crappy offensive teams basically since the turn of the century with the only exceptions being when we had elite talent in Melo and Dion and the one year with Wes where it all magically came together. Coach is going to suddenly change in year 40 something if he hasn’t wanted to in year 30 something. The main reason I’m disappointed coach Hop left is because he represented the opportunity to continue the zone while potentially introducing new offensive principles. I still question whether we made the right choice to let him go rather than go all in on this crappy offense.

Not sure why people complain about this year after year... We’ve had crappy offensive teams basically since the turn of the century with the only exceptions being when we had elite talent in Melo and Dion and the one year with Wes where it all magically came together. Coach is going to suddenly change in year 40 something if he hasn’t wanted to in year 30 something. The main reason I’m disappointed coach Hop left is because he represented the opportunity to continue the zone while potentially introducing new offensive principles. I still question whether we made the right choice to let him go rather than go all in on this crappy offense.
We didn't have the choice to go all in, it was JB's choice, and his alone. He's earned it and we're stuck with it. For good or bad. It seems like it will be mostly bad and again, it's all on him. He's not going to listen to assistants, players, media, fans or even game results. I was a huge advocate for Hop and it hurt when he left us here in purgatory. I still hope he excels and returns. Sorry for being negative but there's not much to be positive about. We have good players coming in but we can't keep good players here long enough to even form a nucleus.

Again the HC should be able to yell out a play in the last 2 minutes and team atleast try to execute it.
My post point was showing the entire offense was in the hands of Howard or Battle and neither of them passed the ball the entire possession.
That is pathetic. That isn’t basketball.
Neither is LeBron James and he passes the ball.

We didn't have the choice to go all in, it was JB's choice, and his alone. He's earned it and we're stuck with it. For good or bad. It seems like it will be mostly bad and again, it's all on him. He's not going to listen to assistants, players, media, fans or even game results. I was a huge advocate for Hop and it hurt when he left us here in purgatory. I still hope he excels and returns. Sorry for being negative but there's not much to be positive about. We have good players coming in but we can't keep good players here long enough to even form a nucleus.

That is why the AD exists to protect the program..JB should have kept his word. No one person should be bigger than the program

It seems to me that JB is like the character of coach Kilmer in the movie varsity blues. "we only do one thing on defense and five plays on offense. I'm the coach and we are not changing,."
Many say Vince Lonbardi was the same . Only ran a few basic plays on offense but wanted excellent execution every play. If you execute the plays work.

Again the HC should be able to yell out a play in the last 2 minutes and team atleast try to execute it.
What play could he call?
For years now about the only "play" the Orange run is the double screen curl for the shooting guard to get a catch and shoot.
Besides that there's the pick and roll which never goes anywhere.

And speaking of the pick and roll, perhaps someone can explain why the Orange don't use Brissett as the screener.
He might be the only guy who could then roll to the hoop and make something happen.

Flynn-Devendorf era teams had no problems scoring. Because they had guys who could shoot, pass, dribble, and score around the basket, and could be dynamic in transition.

Last edited:
What play could he call?
For years now about the only "play" the Orange run is the double screen curl for the shooting guard to get a catch and shoot.
Besides that there's the pick and roll which never goes anywhere.

And speaking of the pick and roll, perhaps someone can explain why the Orange don't use Brissett as the screener.
He might be the only guy who could then roll to the hoop and make something happen.

Pray he gets fouled would be the only positive thing that could happen based on what I’ve seen.

My post point was showing the entire offense was in the hands of Howard or Battle and neither of them passed the ball the entire possession.
That is pathetic. That isn’t basketball.
Neither is LeBron James and he passes the ball.

What plays or offenses work when your team can’t shoot, pass, handle the ball, or score around the basket?

People offer generic things like “move!”, but that on its own doesn’t mean anything. What are we looking to get and how will the guys on the court help us get it?

This offense would work fine with Melo and/or the Olympic team.

true, which is why i said over the last 7 years. so you either have a bad memory or poor reading comprehension. we may never know

true, which is why i said over the last 7 years. so you either have a bad memory or poor reading comprehension. we may never know

I wasn't even disagreeing with you, but if you wan to start slinging insults, that's fine by me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom