Our New Chancellor... | Syracusefan.com

Our New Chancellor...

I pay zero attention to this stuff but why would Cantor leave SU to go to Rutgers Newark?

That does not seem like an upward or even a lateral move.

But then again, I have no clue what the hierarchy of desirable chancellor jobs is among US institutions of higher learning.

...is a Hoya.

Oh, the humanity.

http://dailyorange.com/2013/09/kent...ail&utm_term=0_737851c5ca-0ab18411d2-42162185

Winston Zeddemore: Hey Ray. Do you remember something in the bible about the last days when the dead would rise from the grave?

Dr Ray Stantz: I remember Revelations 7:12...?And I looked, and he opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became as black as sack cloth, and the moon became as blood."

Winston Zeddemore: "And the seas boiled and the skies fell."

Dr Ray Stantz: Judgement day.

Winston Zeddemore: Judgement day.

Dr Ray Stantz: Every ancient religion has its own myth about the end of the world.

Winston Zeddemore: Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is 'cause the dead HAVE been rising from the grave?

Dr Ray Stantz: [Pause ] How 'bout a little music?

Winston Zeddemore: Yeah.

Actually seems like a good hire. Welcome to Syracuse Kent!

I pay zero attention to this stuff but why would Cantor leave SU to go to Rutgers Newark?

That does not seem like an upward or even a lateral move.

But then again, I have no clue what the hierarchy of desirable chancellor jobs is among US institutions of higher learning.
Cantor had been informed her contract would not be renewed/had decided to leave. Her departure had been announced, along with a timetable for it. When it was announced she would take to RU-Newark job, that timetable was accelerated.

Good hire. He has a strong academic pedigree. He's held leadership positions at some very strong institutions. For those who have been so concerned with the US News & World Report rankings, this should be a positive first step to improving Cuse academic profile.

Good hire. He has a strong academic pedigree. He's held leadership positions at some very strong institutions. For those who have been so concerned with the US News & World Report rankings, this should be a positive first step to improving Cuse academic profile.
I'd take a Chancellor with his academic prowess. On its face, appears he will try to elevate the SU profile, as CarolinaCuse stated. Curious to see how he would interact with the Athletic Department, but on it's face, good hire.

Winston Zeddemore: Hey Ray. Do you remember something in the bible about the last days when the dead would rise from the grave?

Dr Ray Stantz: I remember Revelations 7:12...?And I looked, and he opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake. And the sun became as black as sack cloth, and the moon became as blood."

Winston Zeddemore: "And the seas boiled and the skies fell."

Dr Ray Stantz: Judgement day.

Winston Zeddemore: Judgement day.

Dr Ray Stantz: Every ancient religion has its own myth about the end of the world.

Winston Zeddemore: Myth? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is 'cause the dead HAVE been rising from the grave?

Dr Ray Stantz: [Pause ] How 'bout a little music?

Winston Zeddemore: Yeah.

Actually seems like a good hire. Welcome to Syracuse Kent!

We crossed the streams. :eek:

A little surprised by this. I got to meet Dean Syverud last spring at an event at SU; never thought that he'd be in the market for this kind of position. Big leap.

He was a nice guy. Pretty wonky, but enthusiastic and pleasant. Have high hopes for him!

A little surprised by this. I got to meet Dean Syverud last spring at an event at SU; never thought that he'd be in the market for this kind of position. Big leap.

He was a nice guy. Pretty wonky, but enthusiastic and pleasant. Have high hopes for him!

Aren't most intellectuals "pretty wonky"?

Aren't most intellectuals "pretty wonky"?

Ha, yeah, many are. Was expecting more of a legal type, though, and he was much more of the academic sort. For the record, I think that'll be a good thing (assuming he really likes fundraising and gladhanding).

This is a really good hire for SU.

By the way, are you looking to be a university president within the next 10 years or so? Then apply for the open dean of law at Wash U. Last two deans have gone on to presidencies at very good schools. First the University of Rochester and now SU.

Odd that the person chosen appears never to have been a Vice President in their other positions. The last two Chancellors were not only Presidents/Chancellors prior to being chosen but also Vice Presidents prior to being Presidents/Chancellors. This guy's top academic position has been Dean of Law Schools.

Doesn't mean he won't ultimately prove to be an excellent choice, but it may say something about the candidate pool over all.

Cheers,
Neil

colbert-OHMYGOD.gif

Odd that the person chosen appears never to have been a Vice President in their other positions. The last two Chancellors were not only Presidents/Chancellors prior to being chosen but also Vice Presidents prior to being Presidents/Chancellors. This guy's top academic position has been Dean of Law Schools.

Doesn't mean he won't ultimately prove to be an excellent choice, but it may say something about the candidate pool over all.

Cheers,
Neil

As I mentioned in my post above, the last dean of law at Wash U went on to become the current president of the University of Rochester. Sure, everyone has their critics, but he has raised their academic standings, while also increasing enrollment and guiding them through the school's largest capital campaign that is $1.2 billion dollars that will end in 2016.