Our New Chancellor... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our New Chancellor...

Key questions: What are his views on college athletics? How is he going to restore SU's academic stature that deteriorated under Cantor?

Good hire. He has a strong academic pedigree. He's held leadership positions at some very strong institutions. For those who have been so concerned with the US News & World Report rankings, this should be a positive first step to improving Cuse academic profile.
But does he like football and basketball also????

As I mentioned in my post above, the last dean of law at Wash U went on to become the current president of the University of Rochester. Sure, everyone has their critics, but he has raised their academic standings, while also increasing enrollment and guiding them through the school's largest capital campaign that is $1.2 billion dollars that will end in 2016.

Not to nitpick, but UR's academic standings has been the same since 1997 with a best of 29 and a low of 37 during that time frame. And Cantor just completed the largest capital campaign in SU's history as well (slightly over $1 billion) without the benefit of having one of the best medical centers/teaching hospitals in the country, but many here don't seem to believe she was a good chancellor.

Again, his background doesn't mean that he won't ultimately prove to be an excellent choice, but the fact that we "settled" for someone who clearly doesn't have the credentials/experience of Shaw and Cantor appears to me that either the pool of candidates was not good or the committee wanted to go in an entirely different direction this time around.

I remain cautiously optimistic, but I am not convinced this was a "really good hire" overall at this point in time. His own words so far appear to me that he is impressed by Cantor's Anchor Institution concept for SU and he says he wants to increase our research profile (but his background does not indicate he has the experience to pull this off unlike let's say a Michael Crow currently at ASU). About the best we can expect based upon his resume is maybe an improvement with our College Law between his hire and the new building. He might bring a lot more to the table, but it's nowhere to be found in his "paper" resume.

Cheers,
Neil

Well, I find this interesting. While it doesn't say much in terms of their leadership/administrative abilities, and though it's not a lot of reviews for the few who chose to comment on each there appears to be a big difference between the new guy and Cantor in terms of their perceived teaching abilities:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=833693

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=803805

Cheers,
Neil
l.
Well, I find this interesting. While it doesn't say much in terms of their leadership/administrative abilities, and though it's not a lot of reviews for the few who chose to comment on each there appears to be a big difference between the new guy and Cantor in terms of their perceived teaching abilities:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=833693

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=803805

Cheers,
Neil

Great job, Neil. Very good idea to look that up. It speaks volumes!! I feel good already. I know he only had two reviews, but the difference is staggering between the two. I know my kids looked up their professors this way when they were in college. Often was pretty on target. Only problem remaining is the Hoya one...

l.

Great job, Neil. Very good idea to look that up. It speaks volumes!! I feel good already. I know he only had two reviews, but the difference is staggering between the two. I know my kids looked up their professors this way when they were in college. Often was pretty on target. Only problem remaining is the Hoya one...

Unfortunately, having worked in higher education all of my life, it's been my experience that great teachers rarely make great administrators.

Cheers,
Neil

Unfortunately, having worked in higher education all of my life, it's been my experience that great teachers rarely make great administrators.

Cheers,
Neil
updating the old saw:

those who can, do
those who cannot, teach
those who cannot teach, teach gym administer

If one wants to know why this odd choice was made the intro of Dick Thompson contains the answer.

Cheers,
Neil

UStream went out for me just as he was going to tell us "two words".

Cheers,
Neil

Not to nitpick, but UR's academic standings has been the same since 1997 with a best of 29 and a low of 37 during that time frame. And Cantor just completed the largest capital campaign in SU's history as well (slightly over $1 billion) without the benefit of having one of the best medical centers/teaching hospitals in the country, but many here don't seem to believe she was a good chancellor.

Again, his background doesn't mean that he won't ultimately prove to be an excellent choice, but the fact that we "settled" for someone who clearly doesn't have the credentials/experience of Shaw and Cantor appears to me that either the pool of candidates was not good or the committee wanted to go in an entirely different direction this time around.

I remain cautiously optimistic, but I am not convinced this was a "really good hire" overall at this point in time. His own words so far appear to me that he is impressed by Cantor's Anchor Institution concept for SU and he says he wants to increase our research profile (but his background does not indicate he has the experience to pull this off unlike let's say a Michael Crow currently at ASU). About the best we can expect based upon his resume is maybe an improvement with our College Law between his hire and the new building. He might bring a lot more to the table, but it's nowhere to be found in his "paper" resume.

Cheers,
Neil

Notice I never used the term "rankings" when talking about UR. Maybe I should have used the term academic profile. All I know is that in the time the ol'd WashU dean of law school professor has been at UR, there's been an increase in applications, increase in enrollment, a more diverse student body, and higher incoming GPAs and standardized test scores.

If you're a slave to rankings, so be it. A lot of people that work in higher education are. I just never said rankings.

Notice I never used the term "rankings" when talking about UR. Maybe I should have used the term academic profile. All I know is that in the time the ol'd WashU dean of law school professor has been at UR, there's been an increase in applications, increase in enrollment, a more diverse student body, and higher incoming GPAs and standardized test scores.

If you're a slave to rankings, so be it. A lot of people that work in higher education are. I just never said rankings.

Assuming all of the above is correct, since all of those things are the things "rankings" use to determine said rankings, the best one can say is that the current UR President has done is kept pace with everyone else, correct? So basically the status quo remains.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's not as though he has taken UR to unusual heights, which is what you appeared to me to be implying in your original post.

Cheers,
Neil

Assuming all of the above is correct, since all of those things are the things "rankings" use to determine said rankings, the best one can say is that the current UR President has done is kept pace with everyone else, correct? So basically the status quo remains.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's not as though he has taken UR to unusual heights, which is what you appeared to me to be implying in your original post.

Cheers,
Neil
This is obviously going nowhere...quickly.

This is obviously going nowhere...quickly.

Agreed. If this were a football or basketball HC hire though, it's hard for me to conceive anyone thinking this would be a "really good hire" on paper. It is the equivalent of hiring an assistant to the assistant coach.

Cheers,
Neil