Our only hope...or hope(s) | Syracusefan.com

Our only hope...or hope(s)

DirtDog44

Walk On
With the loss of Taurean Thompson we need a few things to happen in order to be competitive.
#1: Battle must really step up and take on the bulk of the scoring...talking 20ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg
#2: Howard must be a serviceable point guard and be strong with the ball (12ppg, 4 rpg, 5 apg)
#3: Chukwu must stay out of foul trouble. Sibide may or may not be ready but the more Chukwu is on the floor the better for us.
#4: Either Moyer, Brissett or Dolezaj has to REALLY surprise. My bet is on Brissett, especially because he is known as a very good defender and obviously efficient on the offensive end.
#5: Anything Moyer, Washington or Thorpe can add to the mix will obviously be very much needed.

At this point I think we play a lot of 3 guards...but it will very much depend on Chukwu's ability to stay on the court and Sidibe's development..aka..Boeheim's trust in him to man the middle. The only other guy that could potentially play center in an emergency situation would be Moyer because he has athleticism and some added bulk.

Battle is going to have to channel his inner Lebron, Kobe, and Mj.

What's the best single season scoring average in the Boeheim era? Because Tyus is going to break it, inevitable... Hopefully he doesn't need 30 shots a game to do it...

With the loss of Taurean Thompson we need a few things to happen in order to be competitive.
#1: Battle must really step up and take on the bulk of the scoring...talking 20ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg
#2: Howard must be a serviceable point guard and be strong with the ball (12ppg, 4 rpg, 5 apg)
#3: Chukwu must stay out of foul trouble. Sibide may or may not be ready but the more Chukwu is on the floor the better for us.
#4: Either Moyer, Brissett or Dolezaj has to REALLY surprise. My bet is on Brissett, especially because he is known as a very good defender and obviously efficient on the offensive end.
#5: Anything Moyer, Washington or Thorpe can add to the mix will obviously be very much needed.

At this point I think we play a lot of 3 guards...but it will very much depend on Chukwu's ability to stay on the court and Sidibe's development..aka..Boeheim's trust in him to man the middle. The only other guy that could potentially play center in an emergency situation would be Moyer because he has athleticism and some added bulk.

I think the first two are very possible, almost probable.

#3 scares me the most, if Sibide isn't ready then we're shot.

#4 I think more than just one of them needs to surprise, I think at least 2 or 3 of them need to surprise along with #1 & #2 to happen along with being serviceable at the 5 for us to even make the tournament.

What's the best single season scoring average in the Boeheim era? Because Tyus is going to break it, inevitable... Hopefully he doesn't 30 shots a game to do it...

He's literally the only one I trust to shoot the ball. I know the big thing before he came in was that he wasn't the best shooter, I hope last year wasn't a fluke with his shooting because he did shoot it well, if it was, we're in deep crap.

What's the best single season scoring average in the Boeheim era? Because Tyus is going to break it, inevitable... Hopefully he doesn't 30 shots a game to do it...
Guessing Billy Owens around 24 a game. Maybe Moten.

What's the best single season scoring average in the Boeheim era? Because Tyus is going to break it, inevitable... Hopefully he doesn't need 30 shots a game to do it...

Guessing Billy Owens around 24 a game. Maybe Moten.
If you're talking JB coaching era, Owens averaged 17.9, Moten 19.3.

The winner is Carmelo at 22.2.

If you're talking the entire JB era, Dave Bing wins easily with an average of 24.8

Edit: these numbers are career, not single season.

Fun fact: Syracuse has had only 3 players average over 20 ppg in its history.

The 3rd? Bill Smith (69-71).

Owens averaged 23.3. It's gotta be him.

Carmelo averaged 22.2, as did Wallace as a senior. Moten's high was 21.5 as a junior.
Amazing Billy did that with a forward like Dave Johnson next him too...

Single season averages:

upload_2017-8-29_16-40-27.png

Johnson averaged 19.4 that '91 season with Owens. I'd think that's one of the highest single season scoring duos Cuse has had.
I remember now; a big question that year was if both would average 20/gm...

He's literally the only one I trust to shoot the ball. I know the big thing before he came in was that he wasn't the best shooter, I hope last year wasn't a fluke with his shooting because he did shoot it well, if it was, we're in deep crap.

Helped him to have other scorers on the floor. No White, Thompson or Gillon to keep defenders honest.

Double Battle, make him give it up, hilarity ensues.

Thorpe too

The stats above are old. Also, if you use career averages for PPG it changes the list. This is for the JB era only.

1. Carmelo Anthony 22.2
2. Andrew White III 18.5
3. Billy Owens 17.9
4. Donte Greene 17.7
5. John Wallace 16.7
6. Jonny Flynn 16.6
7. Wes Johnson 16.5
8. Pearl Washington 15.6
9. Gerry McNamara 15.5
10. Hakim Warrick 15.4
11. Derrick Coleman 15.0

Last edited:
I think the first two are very possible, almost probable.

#3 scares me the most, if Sibide isn't ready then we're shot.

#4 I think more than just one of them needs to surprise, I think at least 2 or 3 of them need to surprise along with #1 & #2 to happen along with being serviceable at the 5 for us to even make the tournament.
I think Sidibe will take over the majority of the 5 by conference play. Brissett will be good from the start. It may surprise many but won't surprise me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom