Our only hope...or hope(s) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Our only hope...or hope(s)

I'm not a Howard fan at all, honestly I wouldn't have mind seeing him shipped out last year but, by default he's going to have the ball in his hands surrounded by 3 unknowns and Battle. He's going to be shooting, he's going to be scoring.

That isn't a given. There is a senior guard on this roster who is a proven defender, a double digit scorer, and a capable shooter [37.5% from three / 85% from the line last year] who also has starting point guard experience.

The Thorpe / Howard battle for PT is going to be very interesting to pay attention to in preseason.

That isn't a given. There is a senior guard on this roster who is a proven defender, a double digit scorer, and a capable shooter [37.5% from three / 85% from the line last year] who also has starting point guard experience.

The Thorpe / Howard battle for PT is going to be very interesting to pay attention to in preseason.

No doubt about that, but Thorpe and Battle aren't playing 80 minutes and with question marks at the 3 Battle could swing there for some time.

I know people are always very high on incoming freshman, but there is zero proof that Brissett, Marek, or Moyer are going to be more productive than what Howard would give which could move Battle to the three from some spells.

No doubt about that, but Thorpe and Battle aren't playing 80 minutes and with question marks at the 3 Battle could swing there for some time.

I know people are always very high on incoming freshman, but there is zero proof that Brissett, Marek, or Moyer are going to be more productive than what Howard would give which could move Battle to the three from some spells.

There's zero proof that Howard will be more productive, either.

Agree that it would be great if he was, and that this outcome would give us more lineup flexibility. Not a given, though.

Also, this isn't "proof," but I'm hearing that Brissett is opening eyes. I will be shocked if he isn't one of our best players, and an impact frosh nationally.

Last edited:
There's zero proof that Howard will be more productive, either.

Agree that it would be great if he was, and that this outcome would give us more lineup flexibility. Not a given, though.

Also, this isn't "proof," but I'm hearing that Brissett is opening eyes. I will be shocked if he isn't one of our best players, and an impact frosh nationally.

You're right, but what Howard does have is 2 years experience at the college level.

I think Brissett will do very well, but I've thought 100 guys were going to do very well.

It's a total crapshoot at this point.

Sorry, but I thought we were in trouble with TT back. Without his offense, I think we're in for a long season. There are new faces all over the floor. The offense will be run either by an inconsistent backup (FH) or a transfer. Other uncertainties include outside shooting, inside scoring, inside defense and rebounding. Battle's the real deal, but he'll draw the top defender every night. Thorpe can shoot, but who will he be able to distribute the ball to besides Battle? Can the Frosh forwards (and the Frosh backup center) adjust to ACC play and defend and score at this level? I can't predict that. After an adjustment period, I think Brissett and Dolezaj will be good players, but basically we have one starter back and tons of question marks in a league in which you need 4 scorers to survive. That's not a recipe for success. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I can see this argument and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but I think it represents something of a worst-case scenario. i.e. One of the issues that could help this team is that it potentially fits together better than last year's group -- something that always seems to be a key for JB. I thought Gillon had some nice moments but I also though he really struggled to finish (generally, not that Frank was or will be any better, per se), wasn't a great facilitator and I really thought he struggled mightily on defense, not just with his lack of length but also some spotty effort there. White was brought in I think with the idea of being a 2/3 and he wound up as exclusively a 3. He was excellent in that role but I think his style -- looking for his offense at all times -- probably didn't mesh well with Lydon. And Lydon looked lost offensively all season even though I think everyone would love to have him back for a junior season.

The worst-case scenario on this team is ugly -- no doubt. But I don't think a couple surprises are out of the question. Brissett and Howard, for example. I'm not sure Howard becomes a reliable shooter/scorer, but if handles the ball well, facilitates decently and plays solid defense, I think his length makes him a nice fit and it's nice to have a junior running the show (And it's not like it's that crazy for a kid to struggle as a soph and then emerge as fairly reliable the next season. We've seen that before). Brissett is a question-mark but he's a guy who comes in with some credentials. Doubt he's going to be in the same zip code as White as a scorer, but if he defends and rebounds and adds some solid offense, I'll take it. If that happens you're still probably left with an offensively-challenged team but you'd be getting solid defense out of the three guards, the SF position and Moyer taking over at the 4 (energy and hustle seem to be his calling cards, at least early in his career).

In short, that could theoretically make us solid defensively instead of, at times, awful last season. It also could help this team gel a bit earlier which would be a bonus if we can actually get perhaps 11 wins in the preconference slate (9 games that look like wins on paper plus a split of G'town/UConn/Kansas/Maryland -- KU probably a loss but ideally get the other three? or two out of the other three?). That would be really nice as well.

The guy who I think might represent a bit of an x-factor (and maybe thorpe is as well depending on how he handles a step up in competition) is Dolezaj. I know most here don't expect a thing from him, but I think he's got an interesting skill set. If we actually get out and run a bit when he's in the game, maybe he adds something as a passer and maybe even as a scorer from time to time in unsettled situations.

Anyway, I don't think there's any getting around the fact that this team will be worse offensively and that we'll need a couple guys to step up in surprising fashion (Howard/Brissett, maybe Moyer and Thorpe to a lesser extent). But if there is a nice step forward defensively and we perform better in the preconference slate (probably not very difficult since we were 8-5 last season), there's still a chance we make a push as a bubble team.

Here are the things I think we need to see for this year's team to be successful:
  • Battle has to emerge as an all American caliber / lottery pick type, and have a "dude" type of season
  • Thorpe has to show that his double figure scoring average at a lesser conference holds up, and he needs to shoot the ball from three as consistently as he did at USF
  • We need to cobble together acceptable defense from our center rotation of Sidibe / Chukwu -- whether these guys score much is irrelevant, but they have to provide adequate D, blocks, and some rebounding
  • One of the frosh forwards needs to greatly outshine his ranking and vault into our group of top three players -- my money's on Brissett
  • Dolezaj needs to prove ready to play, even from a bench perspective, as we need the depth up front
  • Moyer needs to produce as a starting PF, and rebound the ball adequately
  • Howard as to show up with his head screwed on straight. If he's going to be a distraction again, adios. And if he makes a jump as an upperclassman, that only helps the team
Brissett SF? Moyer Pf? Doesn't make much difference but I had it the other way around

I don't see Battle playing any time at the 3, honestly. We've got 3 forwards and 2 big men. Battle is our best guard. Our guards, otherwise, are not so great. I think the forwards, as a group, probably have more potential than the guards do, so it makes sense to play them and advance their development.

Last edited:
I don't see Battle playing any time at the 3, honestly. We've got 3 forwards and 2 big men. Battle is our best guard. Our guards, otherwise, are not so great. I think the forwards, as a group, probably have more potential than the guards do, so it makes sense to play them and advance their development.

I see where you and everyone is coming from, but between Battle, Thorpe and Howard we have 7 years of college ball experience. Between Marek, Brissett and Moyer we have 0. If the three guards play well and the freshman aren't producing as much as the guards would, I see no reason why Battle wouldn't play the three.

We're really thin, JB is going to play the best 5 players to win games, if 3 of them are guards, he'll play three guards.

I see where you and everyone is coming from, but between Battle, Thorpe and Howard we have 7 years of college ball experience. Between Marek, Brissett and Moyer we have 0. If the three guards play well and the freshman aren't producing as much as the guards would, I see no reason why Battle wouldn't play the three.

We're really thin, JB is going to play the best 5 players to win games, if 3 of them are guards, he'll play three guards.

I agree. Score points by the best lineup necessary whatever it may be. I feel we are in desperation mode the moment TT checked out. Maybe all the new blood will produce. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom