Our only hope...or hope(s) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our only hope...or hope(s)

aU5jgx.gif

Admit it, you thought about this when reading the thread title... I'm just following through for you;)

I think that what is going to be most critical and an indicator of success is that if 1 and 2 do happen, the assist figures have to be double digits between Frank and Tyus. By and far these two are the key playmakers coming in and have to be the source of buckets and creating buckets.

To a lesser extent then need to see positive figures from Thorpe to the tune of 8 pts 4ast if we want to have the depth needed to be successful given the role guard play has on making it to the tournament.

As for the other keys- I don't disagree with the importance at the 5 spot but until Chukwu proves that last year was more about eye injury issues than being raw, I expect that script to be flipped. Sidibe needs to be ready and a defensive presence.

In respect to the wings- I think we will need Brissett to be a big time frosh in the form of double digit scoring and Moyer to be a solid contributor with Marek offering what he can when matchups allow.

In a sense for real success we need all hands on deck which is a lot to ask for but not necessarily unrealistic. My guess is where we fall short will be center depth. Could be a Billy Celuck like struggle at times but with that we should still be able to stay near the conversation of playing in the tourney.

With the loss of Taurean Thompson we need a few things to happen in order to be competitive.
#1: Battle must really step up and take on the bulk of the scoring...talking 20ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg
#2: Howard must be a serviceable point guard and be strong with the ball (12ppg, 4 rpg, 5 apg)
#3: Chukwu must stay out of foul trouble. Sibide may or may not be ready but the more Chukwu is on the floor the better for us.
#4: Either Moyer, Brissett or Dolezaj has to REALLY surprise. My bet is on Brissett, especially because he is known as a very good defender and obviously efficient on the offensive end.
#5: Anything Moyer, Washington or Thorpe can add to the mix will obviously be very much needed.

At this point I think we play a lot of 3 guards...but it will very much depend on Chukwu's ability to stay on the court and Sidibe's development..aka..Boeheim's trust in him to man the middle. The only other guy that could potentially play center in an emergency situation would be Moyer because he has athleticism and some added bulk.

Unfortunately I think that #2 is the least likely of these, especially those points and assist estimates. I'm hoping that Howard will take care of the ball and hopefully be above a 30% 3 pt shooter so that he's a threat to opposing teams. I am optimistic that he can improve as a defender.

Yes, Battle will need to lead all scorers. But I think too many are selling the rest of the roster short on O.
I expect Thorpe to average 10ppg. I think Moyer and Brissett will be surprisingly good on both O and D.
But, still, very hard to guess what Sibide, Chukwu, Washington or Howard will lend offensively.
My pipe dream is that Dolezaj shows that his Euroball experience translates better on the offensive end than anyone could have predicted.

Battle is going to have to channel his inner Lebron, Kobe, and Mj.
OK, things are looking very dire. Questionable. Inauspicious. I feel I may need to write a lot of songs during the season to get through it. We can all write poetry again! Or how about limericks?

There once was a player named Battle
Who said, "I'm one year in the saddle!
My teammates be green
I'll make it MY scene.
Then to NBA I'll skedaddle!"

I know. He would never say skedaddle.
:(

I'd be surprised if Thorpe wasn't our 2nd leading scorer or, at the very worst, 3rd after Brissett. People are really undervaluing his experience & scoring ability.

I feel like people haven't watched Geno, or forgot about him because it was a while ago that he signed up. If we got Ayala, or Tucker they would probably be getting more praise when they are unknowns. Thorpe is a legit, known scorer, and shooter in three years of CBB. He absolutely will be one of our top three scorers, which isn't a bad thing.

Single season averages:

View attachment 108499
But getting back to the thread (hope for the FUTURE) ... (j/k): I got nuthin. I think we're screwed this year, honestly. We have Battle, a transfer guard, a bunch of frosh and a tall guy who couldn't see until recently.
May have to switch to bourbon early this year.

But getting back to the thread (hope for the FUTURE) ... (j/k): I got nuthin. I think we're screwed this year, honestly. We have Battle, a transfer guard, a bunch of frosh and a tall guy who couldn't see until recently.
May have to switch to bleach early this year.

FIFY. :p

OK, things are looking very dire. Questionable. Inauspicious. I feel I may need to write a lot of songs during the season to get through it. We can all write poetry again! Or how about limericks?

There once was a player named Battle
Who said, "I'm one year in the saddle!
My teammates be green
I'll make it MY scene.
Then to NBA I'll skedaddle!"

I know. He would never say skedaddle.
:(
Skedadflelicious is his catch phrase.

If you're talking JB coaching era, Owens averaged 17.9, Moten 19.3.

The winner is Carmelo at 22.2.

If you're talking the entire JB era, Dave Bing wins easily with an average of 24.8

Edit: these numbers are career, not single season.

Fun fact: Syracuse has had only 3 players average over 20 ppg in its history.

The 3rd? Bill Smith (69-71).

So there were 4 counting Billy?

Look at Greg Kohl's number and then remember that he had no three point line. He literally could have added six or seven more PPG to that 26.7 average if they had the line back then.
Nothing better than the Kid and Sweet D running the fast break.

What's the best single season scoring average in the Boeheim era? Because Tyus is going to break it, inevitable... Hopefully he doesn't need 30 shots a game to do it...
stevie t had back to back seasons averaging 18/5. and that was a team loaded with scoring options.

May have to switch to bourbon early this year.
Horrible take

Horrible take
Sorry, but I thought we were in trouble with TT back. Without his offense, I think we're in for a long season. There are new faces all over the floor. The offense will be run either by an inconsistent backup (FH) or a transfer. Other uncertainties include outside shooting, inside scoring, inside defense and rebounding. Battle's the real deal, but he'll draw the top defender every night. Thorpe can shoot, but who will he be able to distribute the ball to besides Battle? Can the Frosh forwards (and the Frosh backup center) adjust to ACC play and defend and score at this level? I can't predict that. After an adjustment period, I think Brissett and Dolezaj will be good players, but basically we have one starter back and tons of question marks in a league in which you need 4 scorers to survive. That's not a recipe for success. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
He's literally the only one I trust to shoot the ball. I know the big thing before he came in was that he wasn't the best shooter, I hope last year wasn't a fluke with his shooting because he did shoot it well, if it was, we're in deep crap.

The others will become better through trial by fire.

I think the first two are very possible, almost probable.

#3 scares me the most, if Sibide isn't ready then we're shot.

#4 I think more than just one of them needs to surprise, I think at least 2 or 3 of them need to surprise along with #1 & #2 to happen along with being serviceable at the 5 for us to even make the tournament.

I don't think Howard going from what he was to a 12 ppg type guy is very probable. Agree on the rest and I'm actually more confident in Howard than most others here, I think, but I'd be happy if he just ran the offense decently, played solid D, shot OK from three and came in somewhere around 9-10 ppg.

Here are the things I think we need to see for this year's team to be successful:
  • Battle has to emerge as an all American caliber / lottery pick type, and have a "dude" type of season
  • Thorpe has to show that his double figure scoring average at a lesser conference holds up, and he needs to shoot the ball from three as consistently as he did at USF
  • We need to cobble together acceptable defense from our center rotation of Sidibe / Chukwu -- whether these guys score much is irrelevant, but they have to provide adequate D, blocks, and some rebounding
  • One of the frosh forwards needs to greatly outshine his ranking and vault into our group of top three players -- my money's on Brissett
  • Dolezaj needs to prove ready to play, even from a bench perspective, as we need the depth up front
  • Moyer needs to produce as a starting PF, and rebound the ball adequately
  • Howard as to show up with his head screwed on straight. If he's going to be a distraction again, adios. And if he makes a jump as an upperclassman, that only helps the team

I don't think Howard going from what he was to a 12 ppg type guy is very probable. Agree on the rest and I'm actually more confident in Howard than most others here, I think, but I'd be happy if he just ran the offense decently, played solid D, shot OK from three and came in somewhere around 9-10 ppg.
Agree with where you are coming from, but while I think it's not probable that Frank will be a 12 ppp performer, I also don't think it's out of the question.
Frank has the tools to be the performer many of us thought he could be all along. IF he can just go out and play without second guessing himself, I believe he can be one of our top three players.

I have very low, realistic expectations for next year. However, it seems to me that people are sleeping on Moyer way too much. That kid has a motor and I expect him to contribute much more now with TT gone. Kid was a top 50 or so recruit, CT player of the year -- I think he could be a top 3 scorer for this team.

I'm not a Howard fan at all, honestly I wouldn't have mind seeing him shipped out last year but, by default he's going to have the ball in his hands surrounded by 3 unknowns and Battle. He's going to be shooting, he's going to be scoring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom