Our team will be playing our other team on weds | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Our team will be playing our other team on weds

Wondering if Jesse stayed a bit longer at home?

Nothing too much in the write up and comments- pretty vanilla but some nuggets. Ennis on Mintz is no surprise . Good to hear Hima battles hard and sounds like the collection of youth and not having the shadow of both Boeheims on the roster and in practice does some good for everybody to be out there and getting after it such that everyone is out of their shell doing their thing. Tea leaves reading maybe Brown and Copeland both are pretty green still. Had hoped and thought Brown could surprise but could see him take some time too.

Nothing too much in the write up and comments- pretty vanilla but some nuggets. Ennis on Mintz is no surprise . Good to hear Hima battles hard and sounds like the collection of youth and not having the shadow of both Boeheims on the roster and in practice does some good for everybody to be out there and getting after it such that everyone is out of their shell doing their thing. Tea leaves reading maybe Brown and Copeland both are pretty green still. Had hoped and thought Brown could surprise but could see him take some time too.

Yeah, there was not much of anything to be discerned from that write up.

Ennis's comment about "we're going to have a young team" could be interpreted in multiple ways.

We have a four year starter and what seems to be a legit freshman starting in the backcourt. Symir should be very good relative to his role as a backup.

Jesse is a top 3-5 center in college hoops this season. Just need Hima to be a somewhat competent basketball player when Jesse is in foul trouble.

So, the backcourt and center spot are in really good shape.

The forwards could probably range anywhere from bad to maybe above average? If Benny is going to be a good college basketball player we will know this season, sophomore jumps seem to be real.

I’ve been a huge Taylor fan since he committed so I think he’ll be ready to rock November 7th. I guess Bunch is the leading candidate to join the forward rotation? If he’s our best athlete and can shoot he’s going to get plenty of minutes unless he’s lost in the zone.

I have also liked Carey based on the film that’s on the tube but it wouldn’t surprise me if he plays every game or redshirts. Im only confident that he’s not built to play center this year. Wide range of outcomes for him this season.

I think you can say the same about the team in general. But it’s fun to start fresh with a couple star-potential veterans.

The last article I remember on him he said he came back from home earlier than usual.

No mention of Brown or Carey likely means they aren't ready and will need a developmental year, which is totally fine and expected. If they were underrated hidden gems ready to play in the ACC freshmen year, I'm sure one of the BA guys would have expressed their surprise. With that said, I'm still confident they will be great players eventually.

The combination of Benny, JT and Bunch is where we live or die this year. We need two of them to be really good and the third to be ready for meaningful minutes. Also Hima -- he needs to be able to hold it down defensively for 12 minutes per game. If all that comes together, we will have a good first year in our rebuild. We know what we have at guard and starting center, and it's good.

The article is a positive indicator because it mentions those key players in a positive light. It also confirms we are right to be high on Judah, and also Sy. However, reading between the lines, we likely don't have an underrated and unexpected ringer who will be ready to change the course of the season.

The last article I remember on him he said he came back from home earlier than usual.

Hopefully nothing much to take away from no mention of him other than he has something else going on and couldn't join..

If all that comes together, we will have a good first year in our rebuild.
I would’ve thought a losing season would’ve been considered year 1 of the rebuild.

Yeah, there was not much of anything to be discerned from that write up.

Ennis's comment about "we're going to have a young team" could be interpreted in multiple ways.
That might have been a typo. The article quoted him saying: "But seeing them in person, I’m excited for this year. I think we have a young team". We absolutely do have a young team, nothing to think about. I wonder if he said something like "I think we have a good young team" and a word was omitted. Not sure why he would say "I think we have a young team". Also, it seemed like his general takeaway was that after playing the young guys he's more excited for the season.

Not to be a debbie downer, but based on the basically generic comments, going to be a long year. I'm excited to see new faces but realistically the talent level is not as good as last year and still mid-level acc at best. I'm going to temper expectations and look (hope) for player development throughout the year.

Not to be a debbie downer, but based on the basically generic comments, going to be a long year. I'm excited to see new faces but realistically the talent level is not as good as last year and still mid-level acc at best. I'm going to temper expectations and look (hope) for player development throughout the year.

That's my fear, as well.

But I can also see a path to this team being pretty good, if a few things break our way.

There are open minutes we'll get a look at everyone.

I don't think anyone has high expectations for this year. My only concern is how low the expectations in general are for a program like us long term.

That's my fear, as well.

But I can also see a path to this team being pretty good, if a few things break our way.

Yeah - Joe, Judah, and Jesse is a very solid 3-man group to build a team around.
Sy a solid backup G. That's a nice core group.

We absolutely need at least 2 or 3 of Benny, JT, Bunch, and Brown to contribute meaningfully.

And for the transfer C to be more than a cat rescuer when he's filling in for Jesse at the 5.
(which will likely only be 8-12 mins/game, barring foul trouble or injury)
Play D, grab boards, be a 'presence' in the middle. Any scoring is a bonus.

Don't see Carey or Q getting a ton of run.

Yeah - Joe, Judah, and Jesse is a very solid 3-man group to build a team around.
Sy a solid backup G. That's a nice core group.

We absolutely need at least 2 or 3 of Benny, JT, Bunch, and Brown to contribute meaningfully.

And for the transfer C to be more than a cat rescuer when he's filling in for Jesse at the 5.
(which will likely only be 8-12 mins/game, barring foul trouble or injury)
Play D, grab boards, be a 'presence' in the middle. Any scoring is a bonus.

Don't see Carey or Q getting a ton of run.

Situation at forward is scary -- for sure.

Now, again -- a few things break our way, and the weak unit on paper might prove to be relatively strong [or at least not a liability]. But far from a guarantee.

Now, again -- a few things break our way, and the weak unit on paper might prove to be relatively strong [or at least not a liability]. But far from a guarantee.
Agree. I’m excited about Mintz and hopefully JG3 playing more his natural position and I think Jesse will continue to improve if he stays healthy. But to have both forwards be unknowns as to what we’re going to get will probably make my preseason prediction more on the conservative side and hope I’m wrong.

My pessimisticly but optimistic hope is that at the very least Benny becomes Roberson. We all the flashes in the zone last year. I have to imagine at the very least he understands the zone much better and enough to stick out there, even if he struggles on offense. He needs to be good on defense first. If he struggles in the zone again this year, we are relying on 2 freshman for 2 spots. Huge risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom