Our team will be playing our other team on weds | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Our team will be playing our other team on weds

It doesn’t mean much in the macro but Benny was the only player who belonged on the court with Dook in the Dome.

At least this season every guy in our rotation will be an ACC-level athlete besides Joe, who is an elite college shooter.

I think we will be better in the backcourt. Better at Center. Worse at forward and that is worrisome as we didn't have Melo and Hak last year.The other big question mark for me is JB. He has to have a good year because every win will be needed.

Last edited:
2 things…

Don’t want to put pressure on anyone, but the entire season revolves around Benny’s sophomore “leap.”

Really think our best lineup may end up being the small lineup: Sy, Joe, Judah, Benny, Jesse.

I’m guessing Jesse won’t have as much space this year as he did last year. Will be interesting to see his passing and ability to get his points with more attention.
True, but he'll be able to run pick and roll with more folks who can actually get by their man and threaten at the rim (hopefully).

I agree with a lot of what's written in this thread, but most of it is pertaining to the offense.

Keep in mind we need to kick up the D a number of levels to be a good team. I don't think we could be worse than we were last year, but the whole team (outside of Jesse, maybe) needs to level up on D.

Unless you are really a stud on O, your path to the NBA will have to include being able to play some D at a high level. Benny isn't going to magically become KD-lite, but he could try to be more in the mold of Scottie Barnes, for instance.

I'm hoping for a more evenly spread shot distribution and more ball movement on O, but we absolutely have to re-focus our D. Our guys need to be able to get stops and get boards.

I agree with a lot of what's written in this thread, but most of it is pertaining to the offense.

Keep in mind we need to kick up the D a number of levels to be a good team. I don't think we could be worse than we were last year, but the whole team (outside of Jesse, maybe) needs to level up on D.

Unless you are really a stud on O, your path to the NBA will have to include being able to play some D at a high level. Benny isn't going to magically become KD-lite, but he could try to be more in the mold of Scottie Barnes, for instance.

I'm hoping for a more evenly spread shot distribution and more ball movement on O, but we absolutely have to re-focus our D. Our guys need to be able to get stops and get boards.

Good stuff- D really is the critical piece here.

I will say though if snagging our traditional forwards is going to continue to be an issue, why not shift to going 3 guards with at least one "bigger guard"? Even this year I tend to wonder if we will end up having to go small ball Judah Joe and Symir at times just to have stability on the floor.

I will say though if snagging our traditional forwards is going to continue to be an issue, why not shift to going 3 guards with at least one "bigger guard"? Even this year I tend to wonder if we will end up having to go small ball Judah Joe and Symir at times just to have stability on the floor.

I don't think that's crazy and I think the scenario you outlined could be on the table.

I don't think that's crazy and I think the scenario you outlined could be on the table.

Yeah I mean if Taylor and Bunch are ready to contribute on both ends that helps a lot. If only one of them then it's Benny and one of those two at forward and then the aforementioned handling a lot of the minutes at guard.

Q and Brown could surprise of course but who knows.

I think that Benny as a de facto "4" is almost a given. Remains to be seen whether his shooting will improve to where he could play 3.

If he does, then we can play "big," otherwise it's him and one of the frosh. Scary inconsistency potential.

I think that Benny as a de facto "4" is almost a given. Remains to be seen whether his shooting will improve to where he could play 3.

If he does, then we can play "big," otherwise it's him and one of the frosh. Scary inconsistency potential.

Yeah- he definitely showed he has an eye for the pass but he has to be more than a couple quick north south dribbles to be playing the 3. With that said if he isn't the 4 do we have a 4 that is ready? I mean I was in the camp of maybe Brown can surprise but if not might not have any choice but Benny there.

2 things…

Don’t want to put pressure on anyone, but the entire season revolves around Benny’s sophomore “leap.”

Really think our best lineup may end up being the small lineup: Sy, Joe, Judah, Benny, Jesse.
Agree, 5 best guys. I think Bol can give us 10 quality minutes per game and we need Bunch or Taylor to be able to hit open shots and grab some boards...May need to press with Copeland, Mintz, Brown and Bunch who are athletic.

I love Bol.. but honestly he is the quintessential team energy guy from the bench.
Agree but JB keeps saying he is practicing very well. Not athletic but good length and BBall IQ.

Agree but JB keeps saying he is practicing very well. Not athletic but good length and BBall IQ.

He has to defend well and rebound every minute he is out there. Also do something on offense even if it's just rebounding. If he can do that then maybe because Jesse is an offensive threat. The margins are slim though.

Agree, 5 best guys. I think Bol can give us 10 quality minutes per game and we need Bunch or Taylor to be able to hit open shots and grab some boards...May need to press with Copeland, Mintz, Brown and Bunch who are athletic.
Copeland slow footed from what I’ve seen and heard. Lazy defender, but that can obviously change… can’t seem him playing this yr unless an injury occurs… however, like the pressing idea

2 things…

Genuinely sincere - with all the talk about the fab 5 frosh + transfer, I had almost forgotten about Benny...

That might have been a typo. The article quoted him saying: "But seeing them in person, I’m excited for this year. I think we have a young team". We absolutely do have a young team, nothing to think about. I wonder if he said something like "I think we have a good young team" and a word was omitted. Not sure why he would say "I think we have a young team". Also, it seemed like his general takeaway was that after playing the young guys he's more excited for the season.
Perhaps he doesn’t follow closely and isn’t really sure what year a lot of the guys are, and thus said “I think we have a young team”.

2 things…

Agree about the small lineup, but too early to annoint a PF. Sy came on last season and is too dynamic to ride the bench on what appears to be a more or less 500 team.

We had almost zero buckets from steals and transition last year (maybe exaggeration) but hopeful that changes and we get easy baskets. Aside from Jesse we also had almost zero dunks, hoping to see that change this year also as it changes momentum and opens up the outside.

Copeland slow footed from what I’ve seen and heard. Lazy defender, but that can obviously change… can’t seem him playing this yr unless an injury occurs… however, like the pressing idea
On film Copeland looks fast, explosive for a big guy. Maybe not quick laterally hope your wrong and not like a Frank type.

I would say Bunch, Brown and Taylor are our typical forwards. They all have body types and athleticism seen in the past. They might not be as accomplished as many of our top incoming recruits, but they seem to have the "bones" we always look for in our forwards.

Bunch in a few ways is a CJ Fair, Damone Brown, Wes Johnson, James Southerland clone, raw athletically but also a decent shooter. These are guys that did little when young, but turned into really good players. There is a lot of variation between the possible outcomes, but Bunch has the raw tools.

Brown looks like Tyler Roberson, Terrence Roberts, Rick Jackson or Quincy Guerrier, guys who were physical right off the bat, and good rebounders. Each had to develop their offensive games, as will Brown. Some had success, others didn't.

Taylor looks like Malachi Richards to me more than any other SF/SG recruit (physical resemblance to Buddy notwithstanding). Malachi was known for his shooting, but was multifaceted in his game, and really didn't turn in huge shooting performances until the NCAA Tournament.

Benny Williams is a guy we were all very excited about when he came in last year. For whatever reason he didn't perform well, but he is the same guy that just missed the McDonald's All America game. He could be really good, and he showed a solid glimpse by holding his own against Duke's lottery pick front court.

The gnashing of teeth over the forward rotation is premature and overblown. At least two will be good players this year and all have a chance down the line.

How good they are will define the season, no doubt. But at least we have very good seniors to take the stress off of them, at least to start the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom