Our Underbelly | Syracusefan.com

Our Underbelly

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Against a Division II opponent out two point guards have 1:9 A/T ratio, Carey 1/5, Goodine 0/4!
If this continues for the next game, we should go in another direction. Use the OCC to smooth things out as players shift positions.

Against a Division II opponent out two point guards have 1:9 A/T ratio, Carey 1/5, Goodine 0/4!
If this continues for the next game, we should go in another direction. Use the OCC to smooth things out as players shift positions.

If you rewatch the game, Carey had two assists not one. His turnovers as a ball handler looked worse on the stat sheet than in game. Watch the games not just the box score. He was stripped once in the first half on a drive, traveled ( not really) bobbling a pass he was setting his feet to shoot and then had the two big mistakes to begin the second half.

For Brycen- he had two bad mistakes, one dribbling too high and had his pocket picked and then another a bad pass to Edward's. On the others he had a pass that Hughes didn't hold onto and another where he and Buddy weren't on the same page. Buddy came towards Brycen vs staying put where Brycen was looking for him on the wing and thus the pass had too much on it. Brycen also had an errant forced pass that wasn't a TO but could have been late in the game. Other than a couple, most of the turnovers were the result of not making a connection while trying to make a good play. Brycen was to unselfish driving. He should have just attacked the rim .

As I said, let's see if this continues for the next game. 1:9 is unacceptable. There are always excuses. This was a D-II opponent. It would have been an anchor around our neck against an ACC opponent.

I find it hard to believe that in a game where we had 90 points and hit a ton of catch and shoot 3’s, that they combined for 1 assist. I have strong doubts that’s accurate. I mean, Hughes had 5 assists. Who had the rest of them? Who assisted all of Hughes’s points?

i don't believe your numbers are correct

i see
carey 1:3
goodine 2:5
which is 3:8
and also girard 4:4
for a total of 7:12

not good, but not as dire as your number

I got my numbers from Syracuse University Boxscore

If this continues I would consider a radical plan, like Girard or Hughes handling the ball.

I got my numbers from Syracuse University Boxscore

Theres 2 different box scores out there with different stats.

Forgetting the stats and focusing on what I saw...I thought our guards and team in general moved the ball pretty well and made the passes they should’ve made. They also turned the ball over too much.

Ultimately - I’m not really worried about assists. I think guys will move the ball and make the right passes and assists will be largely dependent on knocking down shots from the perimeter and I think we will do that overall.

I am worried about turnovers. We’ve got young guards and honestly all of them MIGHT be better as two guards at this point. I think/hope having a couple veteran forwards who can handle the ball and pass will help though - and I think all of those guards have talent and will grow and learn.

Theres 2 different box scores out there with different stats.

Forgetting the stats and focusing on what I saw...I thought our guards and team in general moved the ball pretty well and made the passes they should’ve made. They also turned the ball over too much.

Ultimately - I’m not really worried about assists. I think guys will move the ball and make the right passes and assists will be largely dependent on knocking down shots from the perimeter and I think we will do that overall.

I am worried about turnovers. We’ve got young guards and honestly all of them MIGHT be better as two guards at this point. I think/hope having a couple veteran forwards who can handle the ball and pass will help though - and I think all of those guards have talent and will grow and learn.
and we know the assist totals are off by at least one - edwards assisted on girard's first triple and it has never been credited, not in either extant box score

I’m not really too worried about Carey or Brycen and their PG play. I like them both, but they’re young and still learning the position, so they’ll have some boneheaded turnovers, just like Scoop used to, but I think they’ll be fine and improve as the season goes on.

As I said, let's see if this continues for the next game. 1:9 is unacceptable. There are always excuses. This was a D-II opponent. It would have been an anchor around our neck against an ACC opponent.

Not excuses, just analysis. If you are going to just read a box score vs watching the game...

There is no doubt the turnovers must come down. That is not all on the primary ball handlers as you infer from the Box Score alone. Some of that was on others on the catch or miscommunications. We shouldn't be averaging more than 11-12 a game. That is work to be done for sure.

It’s an exhibition game where guys are trying new things, playing in lineups they wouldn’t otherwise play in, trying to build chemistry, shaking off rust.

Is this something worth keeping an eye on with young guards, one of whom had turnover problems last year? Of course. Is it alarming? Not really. Not yet, at least.

Exhibition games are where you want to push limits and make mistakes. I’d be more concerned if the PGs were playing it safe against a DII opponent and not trying to force tempo or thread some risky passes.

I am somewhat worried about Jalen. For one I think his handle will never be elite and so we will have to deal with frustrating turnovers. Secondly if he struggles I think coach will not be patient with him and that will only hurt his confidence going forward.

They are both twos being converted, hopefully, to ACC caliber ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If there are more dismal results might be worth developing a back-up plan using Girard or Hughes.

They are both twos being converted, hopefully, to ACC caliber ones. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If there are more dismal results might be worth developing a back-up plan using Girard or Hughes.
Just convert Elijah Hughes to an ACC-Caliber PG?

Success requires a point that can handle under pressure. No matter which stats are used our point play was an embarrassment. Imagine what would have happened if we were against the Ville, etc. Game over. Last game Hughes was sometimes used to bring the ball up. Stevie T. went from the 3 to the 1. Was Silent G a 3 at Puke? Too early to panic but not too early to consider alternatives. Let's see what happens on Tuesday.

Just convert Elijah Hughes to an ACC-Caliber PG?
It's never too early to shake things up. Why wait until the games actually count?

I think its clear even before a game was played this year that a lot like last year PG and Center were going to be a roller-coaster the entire. There is definitely high end talent at both spots but both spots are enormous question marks heading into the season.

Elijah Hughes is a good player.
But he's not Leo Rautins

Washington had 2 assists, 0 turnovers, and 2 rebounds. Not bad for 6/7 minutes of action. Depending on which box score is correct Carey, Boeheim, and Girard combined for 0 or 2 rebounds in 55 or 57 minutes of playing time.

I hope he and Carey switch roles next game.

our underbelly
belly.gif

Howard Washington is the teams best point guard, a true point guard, but unless there are injuries or sheer disaster I don't think he will get run. I have always liked his poise and he will get the ball to the scorers. Can he take his man off the dribble as easily as Carey, No, but he will dictate pace and take care of the ball. And NO I'm not related!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom