Outside shooting...yikes!!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Outside shooting...yikes!!!

Speaking of Frank, what's up with him? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :)

Did not play. He is still recovering and working his way back to the hardwood. No comments from JB in the post-game.

we will shoot better but i think it should be noted that when Marek entered the game in the 1st half we had our best offensive movement and the lead went from 3 to almost 20 when he sat down. Carey helped a ton too. I like Buddy a lot but I also can't imagine another Frosh in his first game getting time in the midst of a 1-12. Carey needs to start and play the PG as we need to get Tyus going as well.

They struggled by the looks of the numbers but were they good shots? Too early on the clock? Were any in and out or just plan off? D saved the day and now they'll listen to Jim a little harder during practice if they were taking poor shots.

I like Buddy a lot but I also can't imagine another Frosh in his first game getting time in the midst of a 1-12. Carey needs to start and play the PG as we need to get Tyus going as well.

Yeah wondering about that too. Some of the shots were good looks that just didn't go down, there were a couple that appeared forced. But he got a ton of time for a guy who was 1-12, looked just ok on the defensive end and is basically playing a position where there aren't likely to be many minutes available this season?

Unless Frank's injury is far worse than we have been led to believe I found the rotation a little strange given that I would think you want to gear up for big minutes of Frank, Tyus and Carey at the guards which is going to push Buddy to either sharing time at forward with Hughes or to the bench.

we will shoot better but i think it should be noted that when Marek entered the game in the 1st half we had our best offensive movement and the lead went from 3 to almost 20 when he sat down. Carey helped a ton too. I like Buddy a lot but I also can't imagine another Frosh in his first game getting time in the midst of a 1-12. Carey needs to start and play the PG as we need to get Tyus going as well.

I would bet that if Howard is out much longer, Carey will start.

Have to think Boeheim started because Carey just came back and has been out for weeks. He’s still getting back up to speed.

I agree...we need a PG in there and we need Battle back at the two.

They struggled by the looks of the numbers but were they good shots? Too early on the clock? Were any in and out or just plan off? D saved the day and now they'll listen to Jim a little harder during practice if they were taking poor shots.

Some of the shots were good some were not. They settled for a lot of 3 pointers which I hope is mostly a function of no PG. They have to run a more coherent offense this year and I didn't see that last night, but on the plus side, the looked to push on every rebound and turnover which generated easy shots - a much needed thing.

As to the D saving the day. No, not the case. If we needed to score, we could have driven to the basket with OB, Carey, Battle, Hughes all night long. We also could have fed OB, Marek, PC, or BS underneath all night and scored at will.

EWU was absolutely overwhelmed by our size and athleticism. We could have won this game in any fashion we chose and we could have picked the final margin at our leisure.

I would bet that if Howard is out much longer, Carey will start.

Have to think Boeheim started because Carey just came back and has been out for weeks. He’s still getting back up to speed.

I agree...we need a PG in there and we need Battle back at the two.
I agree. I think Carey could even start the next game. He hasn't been practicing.

I would imagine we shoot the lights out next game and suddenly comparisons to the 2009-10 team start rolling in...but, maybe we remain cold.

I think Buddy at some point this season ups his percentage from 3 though. I'm 100% confident on that.

Don’t care about last nights shooting. First game jitters and being anxious

What blows me away is Carey. This guy is special. He can do it all. So so quick and fast. Oh, and I can watch Hughes shoot that ball all day. Mr Smooth. Fearless Mr Smooth.

I don't care about last night's shooting. That'll improve by default.

I am worried that we saw the same stagnant half-court offense where we just passed it around for a while then launched 3's. Against better teams with better, bigger defenders, that crap won't fly. We've seen in the past handful of years how difficult it is to score when we slow it down and don't run anything of substance. Pressing helped us score last night, but the half court offense has to be so, so, so much better if this team is to accomplish anything.

I am worried that we saw the same stagnant half-court offense where we just passed it around for a while then launched 3's. Against better teams with better, bigger defenders, that crap won't fly. We've seen in the past handful of years how difficult it is to score when we slow it down and don't run anything of substance. Pressing helped us score last night, but the half court offense has to be so, so, so much better if this team is to accomplish anything.
They'll improve, no doubt. JB said in is PGP ... "it's not even basketball". We have no PG. The backup PG saw limited minutes and is not 100%. Starting SG is trying to run point. Backup SG is starting and went 1-11. Much more good news than bad ... our bench is going to be LOADED.

Last edited:

Once Marek entered the game the ball movement improved a ton. Prior to that it seemed like a launching pad.

Offense is going to be what it has been the last few years.
maybe, but i'm willing to put buddy/eli performance down to first game jitters. most games their combined 0/8 will be 3/8 or better. they go 3/8 last night and the team offensive rating goes from 110 to 125
given that our point guards haven't got any real time with the team yet, i'll give it till at least december before i'll render judgement

Carey did not start because he was injured and has not had as much practice. His play will earn him starting time, the next game or soon. Washington came in later as his injury was worse, he practiced less and Boeheim wants him healthy. Frank Howard will be out until he is cleared to play, with no news on a projected date.

I agree with all who write off the poor shooting night as first game jitters. New players. Battle playing PG. First 10 games will be a learning process. Hard to tell if the defense was really great or E. Washington was really bad on offense.

But 15-28 from the FT line? 53.6%? Absolutely no excuse for that. Better improve by the 15th. UConn may not be the UConn of old but they have some talent. Then Ohio State in Columbus on the 28th.

It was almost as if they were playing without a point guard.

I posted it in another thread but it bears repeating...Marek will be our sniper this year.

maybe, but i'm willing to put buddy/eli performance down to first game jitters. most games their combined 0/8 will be 3/8 or better. they go 3/8 last night and the team offensive rating goes from 110 to 125
given that our point guards haven't got any real time with the team yet, i'll give it till at least december before i'll render judgement
bttt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom