Over and under for the spring game? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Over and under for the spring game?

Promotional idea:
The Great Smelt Giveaway
The University gives every fan a smelt on a one-for-one basis for every smelt that fan brings to the game. Up to 12 smelt per fan.
If they run out of smelt they switch to tubas.

In addition, upon entering the Dome, each fan is given an “I’d rather be in Camden” button.

Not sure charging for a game that’s normally free and barely attended is the best marketing strategy. Even if it’s in the name of NIL.

Get the men’s/women’s hoop teams there and LAX/soccer. Set-up community vs “BB team”, tug of war etc challenges throughout the day. Pickup BB game with athletes vs any kids that attend. Bring in a climbing wall and let kids/adults challenge different athletes up the wall. You could do some of these things with NIL $. Although as kid who grew up poor, there’s nothing that would piss me off more than not being able to do activities because my parents weren’t rich so it excluded me.

Get a brewery or two there, like the NYS brewery festivals. Set up a tent with BBQ, bands, etc. An open picnic for fans with athletes just walking around, getting food and hanging out.

This isn’t rocket science. They could just hire me as a consultant. Ultimately if you want a big crowd in central NY, you need to get kids to want to be there. Normally dad goes to the spring game himself. You get the kid to want to go and mom usually comes too, maybe the grandparents. Or the aunt/uncle and their kids…… or the kids best friends.

But no one has ever pushed a spring game. If the University and program really lean into it, we can get more.
They did in 2019 but I don't recall if that resulted in a big attendance or not.

Promotional idea:
The Great Smelt Giveaway
The University gives every fan a smelt on a one-for-one basis for every smelt that fan brings to the game. Up to 12 smelt per fan.
If they run out of smelt they switch to tubas.

In addition, upon entering the Dome, each fan is given an “I’d rather be in Camden” button.
That is a direct infringement of a University of Minnesota trademark. Get an oar and hit yourself on top of the head with it. Like all Gopher fans do. ;)

I do like free admission for all fans with tubas or sousaphones.

Let's do that and maybe at halftime we can try and recreate the end of 'A Day in the Life'. I think there would be sponsorship opps for all the edibles companies.

That’s the plan this year
I hope you're right, but they promoted it in 2019 coming off a 10 win season and announced a crowd of 3727. So I'm not quite ready to believe some of the numbers that are being thrown out there in this thread. Although I'll be ready to eat some crow if the Syracuse fanbase surprises me.

But I am very excited to have a coach that seems to recognize the importance of the fanbase and fan experience instead of treating us like a nuisance or annoyance except for the 6 or 7 home games each year.

But no one has ever pushed a spring game. If the University and program really lean into it, we can get more.
Just don't make it a Friday night game and you can get plenty more to attend. Not a hard concept and hopefully Syracuse gives it some thought before coordinating with the ACC.

That is a direct infringement of a University of Minnesota trademark. Get an oar and hit yourself on top of the head with it. Like all Gopher fans do. ;)

I do like free admission for all fans with tubas or sousaphones.

Let's do that and maybe at halftime we can try and recreate the end of 'A Day in the Life'. I think there would be sponsorship opps for all the edibles companies.

I’m so in.
And since were on the topic of events at the spring game, how about thin sheet rock walls of various thicknesses that fans try to run through for Fran.

Winner gets a weekend at the Camden Motel 6. Amtrak transportation provided.

I’m thinking about coming up from Missouri depending on my kids softball schedule, anything over 5k would have to be considered an incremental win IMO. Have we ever had 5K for a spring game? Everything I always hear is below 4K. You reach 5k and it’s 20%+ more people which is encouraging.

I'll be interested to see how the game is organized. Will it be a showcase for fans or will HCFB treat it with disdain the way previous staffs have because they lost that one practice that would alter the whole trajectory of the program.

I’m thinking about coming up from Missouri depending on my kids softball schedule, anything over 5k would have to be considered an incremental win IMO. Have we ever had 5K for a spring game? Everything I always hear is below 4K. You reach 5k and it’s 20%+ more people which is encouraging.
I agree 5K would be very encouraging. What part of Missouri if you don't mind my asking?

Definitely won’t be like the previous staff
No inside info here.

However...

We know the scrimmage will be televised.

If I know Coach Brown at all, I think he will target the scrimmage for two groups.

1) the Syracuse fanbase and
2) recruits

I believe he will endeavor to make it entertaining, flashy and full of swag and excitement. I expect he will regularly be part of the broadcast, as will many of the key players on the team, and we will see an approach that is being different that what we have been subjected to in recent years.

I have high hopes.

Not at all, Wildwood. About 25 miles west of Downtown St Louis.
Cool. I'm in Overland Park KS so was just curious which side of the state you were on.

Fran seems like he's been extremely serious about engaging the local community. And that's not just the people who have money, but those that don't.

Walk right down under 81 and start handing out tickets. If you attend the spring game, get a ticket for another game in the fall.

It's a perfect opportunity to connect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom