Overall thoughts on 2019 Class | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Overall thoughts on 2019 Class

In my very humble opinion, Coach Babers and his Staff always seem to be on the same page with each other and and seem to have a pretty darn good eye for talent. The recruiting seems to be done by committee which would lead to less big misses because more eyes are evaluating the talent. I give them credit because they are seeing and offering first what other programs are recognizing later. Probably what is more important is they are identifying the type of player that can be coached in their system and be successful in it. To me that is very very important. Keep up the great work Syracuse University Football, you have a very excited fan base. Go Orange!!

Terrific post! Keep 'em coming!

OK, hungry but not THAT hungry, ha!

You may know that it refers to the underground - and I mean that without political point -- bunker that some of us occupied in the ...well, years possibly before you were born.

Hungry Charley's was quite a place.

Those hot open faced subs were great.

OK, hungry but not THAT hungry, ha!

You may know that it refers to the underground - and I mean that without political point -- bunker that some of us occupied in the ...well, years possibly before you were born.

Hungry Charley's was quite a place.

I remember helping drink a pitcher of dark beer AND a pitcher of sangria on the same night there.

After that...I don't remember.

I remember holding someones head while they puked in the alley after drinking too much at Chucks. Darn kids coming from states where the drinking age wasn't 18...way, way back when. ;)
The drinking age at Chuck's is still 18 (and Sutter's as well). Ah vague memories...

Good class overall but only time will tell, the development of these guys is what seems to be making our program stable and that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. If we start dipping into CT/MA/NJ/NYC/PA and at least start competing for players with elite offer sheets like Lamy Constant or Tirek Murphy then we could start to get the ball rolling with some recruiting momentum, another 9-10 win season and there's no excuse to whiff on the big boys of the northeast. Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State are national powers, if they lose out on a 4 star then they go get another, we need to continue the under the radar commitments in the areas Dino likes to recruit but then really put a focus on our regional recruiting and making it a point these guys know we can be a national power too. I just don't see us dipping into Cali/Florida/Georgia/Ohio/Texas and stealing top recruits from their local in state schools that have a lot of resources put into recruiting.

If we could just somehow get 2 or 3 of the blue chippers within our region I think it could be the start of something great heading into the future. I've already mentioned Constant and Murphy but other highly regarded regional recruits are a possibility as well like Lamar Goods, Chris Mayo, Jordan Morant, Kalel Mullings, Lukas Unger, Amin Vanover, Zak Zinter who are all 4 star recruits with plenty of offers. I think Theo Johnson and Kenny Mestidor are two high end players that are just unfairly ranked and their offer lists will probably continue to grow too so they could end up being 4 stars as well.

I don't love putting a huge emphasis on recruiting rankings as how the recruit progresses at their respective school varies but with everything out there for families to see and to do research it's going to be a lot easier to recruit these areas and recruit specific high schools or prep schools once you get your foot in the door and get the ball rolling. Our staff can go toe to toe with any staff in the country with identifying early talent and establishing relationships IMO, if we now see the on field results I don't know why people wouldn't want to hop on aboard.

According to an article today Babers I guess has said they're looking for starters at LB, OL, TE and Safety. I find the last one curious. We have two starters and depth seems to be adequate. Makes me wonder if any backups are maybe in the transfer portal. I had a hunch before with Fagans and I had a similar hunch with DClarke and the safety spot. You know more transfers are coming.

Linebacker, offensive line, tight end and safety are positions being targeted.

“We don’t have enough scholarships to fill all those spots,” he said, “but we’re going to be looking for the best player possible at those positions.”

He said previously they'll be looking for the best players available which is why Gunter is in town this weekend.

According to an article today Babers I guess has said they're looking for starters at LB, OL, TE and Safety. I find the last one curious. We have two starters and depth seems to be adequate. Makes me wonder if any backups are maybe in the transfer portal. I had a hunch before with Fagans and I had a similar hunch with DClarke and the safety spot. You know more transfers are coming.

Linebacker, offensive line, tight end and safety are positions being targeted.

“We don’t have enough scholarships to fill all those spots,” he said, “but we’re going to be looking for the best player possible at those positions.”

He said previously they'll be looking for the best players available which is why Gunter is in town this weekend.
The TE one makes me go hmmmm.

I remember helping drink a pitcher of dark beer AND a pitcher of sangria on the same night there.

After that...I don't remember.
I used to make and serve the sangria there, when the drinking age was 18. Fun place to work...got a call on Christmas Eve and started work an hour later...

Upshur?

Pretty sure he's a traditional transfer and has to sit out a year. I took Baber's comment moreso to mean a playmaking grad transfer. We've got some depth at TE but nothing that strikes fear in another team and truly exploits mismatches. Maybe Benson becomes that guy down the road.

Pretty sure he's a traditional transfer and has to sit out a year. I took Baber's comment moreso to mean a playmaking grad transfer. We've got some depth at TE but nothing that strikes fear in another team and truly exploits mismatches. Maybe Benson becomes that guy down the road.

Has to sit out a year? Oh yeah, I forgot, we’re not an elite school yet. The NCAA doesn’t do us any favors.

Has to sit out a year? Oh yeah, I forgot, we’re not an elite school yet. The NCAA doesn’t do us any favors.

He's an underclassman and not a situation where a waiver would be granted.

There are some interesting prospects in the portal that are grad transfers at TE but I'm not sure if they are the right guys.

Well Sutters was my place to hang 87,88,89. Wow 5 dollar pictures and drinking 150 proof something every now and then. Loved that place.

He's an underclassman and not a situation where a waiver would be granted.

There are some interesting prospects in the portal that are grad transfers at TE but I'm not sure if they are the right guys.

I was just noting the hypocrisy of the NCAA with their Fields to OSU ruling.

The TE one makes me go hmmmm.
Maybe they're looking for a TE JUCO or GT while Benson gets time in the oven. Pierce is graduating. Horan is 260 and may be moving inside. Rex is there for depth, and Hackett had some production towards the end of the season, but the numbers are thin if the above is true. tep624 might know, or PhatOrange.

Maybe they're looking for a TE JUCO or GT while Benson gets time in the oven. Pierce is graduating. Horan is 260 and may be moving inside. Rex is there for depth, and Hackett had some production towards the end of the season, but the numbers are thin if the above is true. tep624 might know, or PhatOrange.
I think with Chance's departure Rex moves back to QB for depth. And I'm thinking hmmmm for another reason.

Well Sutters was my place to hang 87,88,89. Wow 5 dollar pictures and drinking 150 proof something every now and then. Loved that place.

I used to cook there in the summer of '80 or '81, and it was my late night dance club on the Hill that summer, when I lived at the corner of Euclid and Comstock. When we would go out, we would go downstairs to Chuck's for a sub and a pitcher and then go upstairs to try to pick up girls at Sutter's.

Last edited:
I liked Sutters as well. My original pre game hang out

I liked Sutters as well. My original pre game hang out

The owner was a former football player. I want to say Gary Bugenhagen, but it's been a long time.

The chef's salad had one inch cubes of ham, turkey and swiss that we would carve on a deli meat cutter and then slice by hand. The Reubens were outstanding, grilled on dark bread under an open flame. The french onion soup was really good, too.

My first cook's job was in the dining halls at Cornell, but this was my first paid cook's job. After summer was over, I went back to school to finish up my senior year.

Post-graduation, the next summer I worked at Dominick's, then at Kirby's, before moving down to NYC to go get a job as a paralegal, to figure out if I wanted to go to law school or not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom