P just getting lambasted over on the Boneyard, I think he seems | Syracusefan.com

P just getting lambasted over on the Boneyard, I think he seems

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
to be doing just fine, years ago that would have been a woodshed beating and he only lost by 15.. I tend to agree with UCONN fans though, why are they starting that qb? big, slow dude, with no instincts and no arm, he is really bad... Their back up looks like he can at least run with the ball, he must be a disaster throwing the football or Deleone's offense has him so confused they have transformed him into a babbling idiot, have to love it...

In addition, P looks like an old retired dude who has had too much sun in Florida and Tx.. Leather skin, permanent tan, maybe he is spray tanning but where would he find the time, we know how hard he works, relentless fim studier, etc... He seems to sit there and whine on the sidelines as well.

Make no mistake about it, we won't get the UCONN team we saw last night, no way. They will be primed and ready but last night brought me back to a dark place...

We will get the same team. Their QB situation is not going to miraculously fix itself. They are horrid on O.

to be doing just fine, years ago that would have been a woodshed beating and he only lost by 15.. I tend to agree with UCONN fans though, why are they starting that qb? big, slow dude, with no instincts and no arm, he is really bad... Their back up looks like he can at least run with the ball, he must be a disaster throwing the football or Deleone's offense has him so confused they have transformed him into a babbling idiot, have to love it...

In addition, P looks like an old retired dude who has had too much sun in Florida and Tx.. Leather skin, permanent tan, maybe he is spray tanning but where would he find the time, we know how hard he works, relentless fim studier, etc... He seems to sit there and whine on the sidelines as well.

Make no mistake about it, we won't get the UCONN team we saw last night, no way. They will be primed and ready but last night brought me back to a dark place...
there are two ways to think about tino sunseri throwing for 400 yards.

half full - maybe SU will throw for 400 against UConn
half empty - maybe Pitt will throw for 400 against SU

I'm half full. Sunseri threw for 419 against UConn. threw for 38 against Utah the previous game. previous high for him was 307 (his only 300 yard game)

OrangePA must be fuming. Is he over there laying the smack down? :)

I can't look past Louisville but that UConn game will be interesting. It was obvious they were on another level compared to SU last season. We couldn't compete with their front seven. I'm anxious to see if that has changed.

Every time I try and watch a UConn game, I end up changing the channel after 15 minutes. Their games are just brutal to watch. Offense, defense, special teams. You name it. Feel bad for their fans.

The RU games are awful to watch when they play offense, but their defense is so gung ho and crazy, as are their specials, that I can at least make it though a few commercials watching them.

Can't believe how bad UConn's defense has become. They made Pitt look like a good offensive team. Their LBs are awful.

Hartford Courant Article (Not Kind)

I'm half full. Sunseri threw for 419 against UConn. threw for 38 against Utah the previous game. previous high for him was 307 (his only 300 yard game)

SU will need to pass the ball alot against UCONN, problem is they have a good D Line and pass rush. UCONN did not do a good job of stopping the short pass, SUnseri only completes long passes versus Syracuse, his arm stinks and he is about 5-9. Uconn's secondary was really unimpressive as well. I don't see us running a lot versus UCONN. This will be a good test for our program to see where we are, we have more speed everywhere than UCONN, all they have is a d line. Does UCONN even have wide receivers or just 6 tight ends?

With Graham, Pitt would have won that game by 30, they also lost half their O line

OrangePa must be on his way to Storrs as we speak.. P&D need their tears dabbed

No need to travel to Storrs.

This is no surprise.

The coaches knew what they had at the start of the season.

The QB is awful - but there's nobody else that can throw the ball.

As I have said before, there was a reason Edsall got out of town when he did.

We will get the same team. Their QB situation is not going to miraculously fix itself. They are horrid on O.
With slightly more zeal early on... Need to get ahead early and not look back...

I think that was as close to a woodshed beating as this Pitt team could possibly muster without Graham in the backfield.

P&D seem to be the exact same coaches they were the last 5 years at SU - nothing has changed - and that's going to bring UConn fans a whole lot of 4-8 to 6-6 seasons for as long as they'll keep him.

With their currently precarious conference situation that's not what they need.

I think P&D would be a perfect fit at a 1AA school with good academics.

This is no surprise.

I don't disagree with you there, the problems with UCONN are the ones that Edsall left behind, very little speed anywhere. I think the college game has passed P&D by, I know you will disagree but they just look like two old guys hanging on past their prime. Its one thing to get old and keep coaching the same program but taking on a new job like UCONN, I don't know. P needs to be held accountable as well, the defense looked confused and way out of position all night.

I expect to get UCONNs best effort next Saturday, I am not looking forward to that game whatsoever, fortunately I am getting my knee operated on the day before I plan to be sedated on pain killers

This is no surprise.

sticking up for deleone here

i'm a little surprised they're throwing 30 times a game.

UConn passing per game vs FBS this year
31 passes, 51%, 197 yards, 1.2 TD, .6 INT

SU passing game vs FBS last year
28 passes, 56%, 175 yards, 1.2 TD, .7 INT

SU this year per game vs FBS
32 passes, 64%, 208 yards, 2.2 TD, .5 INT

mcintee = nassib 2010. people will interpret that however they want to.

we're much more willing to say a guy stinks in a different color shirt. maybe mcintee improves next yr

I think we need to keep turning Nassib loose a bit with him running the ball a few times a game... mcintee looks so slow with everything he does and his arm strength is poor as well.

Marrone has to fight letting the next two turning into NFL games because that is what Strong and P want. 17-13 games. Upset the apple cart Douglas

This is no surprise.

Sounds like P has himself in the same situation SU was in in 2006.

I don't disagree with you there, the problems with UCONN are the ones that Edsall left behind, very little speed anywhere. I think the college game has passed P&D by, I know you will disagree but they just look like two old guys hanging on past their prime. Its one thing to get old and keep coaching the same program but taking on a new job like UCONN, I don't know. P needs to be held accountable as well, the defense looked confused and way out of position all night.

I expect to get UCONNs best effort next Saturday, I am not looking forward to that game whatsoever, fortunately I am getting my knee operated on the day before I plan to be sedated on pain killers

Whenever an older coach's team performs poorly someone always utters that hackneyed phrase "the game has passed him by."

They said it about Joe Pa years ago when his teams played poorly. That thinking changed pretty quickly when Penn State was competing for a BCS championship three years ago.

Joe Pa is now 7-1 and he's twenty years older than P.

Bill Snyder is probably ten years older older than P and D - he looks like death on the sidelines - but with improved talent his team is now playing very well.

No doubt that the defense for UConn was repeatedly fooled last night or did not make a play when one should have been made. I don't presume to understand why and would not try to analyze the x' and o's. I do know that the defense is being coached by Don Brown - DC at MD last year - who is highly respected - I don't think the game has passed him by.

I also know for a fact that the QB situation and the entire offense was going to be a problem from the very start - D inherited nothing - their best player is a frosh -their starting QB is a walk-0n who never took a snap until six weeks ago - most of last year's OL graduated, etc.

I'm pretty sure that at the Big East Media Day UConn was picked to finish at or near the bottom of the league - so what we have seen so far is not unexpected.

I am not surprised by the criticism of Pasqualoni on the UConn board (or this board - the conventional wisdom of this board is what it is and what it has been for years) - I read the same kind of criticism on this board when Marrone loses a bad one - Rutgers - or wins a bad one - Tulane. That's how most fans tend to react.

Whenever an older coach's team performs poorly someone always utters that hackneyed phrase "the game has passed him by."

They said it about Joe Pa years ago when his teams played poorly. That thinking changed pretty quickly when Penn State was competing for a BCS championship three years ago.

Joe Pa is now 7-1 and he's twenty years older than P.

Bill Snyder is probably ten years older older than P and D - he looks like death on the sidelines - but with improved talent his team is now playing very well.

No doubt that the defense for UConn was repeatedly fooled last night or did not make a play when one should have been made. I don't presume to understand why and would not try to analyze the x' and o's. I do know that the defense is being coached by Don Brown - DC at MD last year - who is highly respected - I don't think the game has passed him by.

I also know for a fact that the QB situation and the entire offense was going to be a problem from the very start - D inherited nothing - their best player is a frosh -their starting QB is a walk-0n who never took a snap until six weeks ago - most of last year's OL graduated, etc.

I'm pretty sure that at the Big East Media Day UConn was picked to finish at or near the bottom of the league - so what we have seen so far is not unexpected.

I am not surprised by the criticism of Pasqualoni on the UConn board (or this board - the conventional wisdom of this board is what it is and what it has been for years) - I read the same kind of criticism on this board when Marrone loses a bad one - Rutgers - or wins a bad one - Tulane. That's how most fans tend to react.

all true.. dont disagree with any of this but its all worth noting

Coach P could never stop a spread. We can't expect the same results passing when we play them.

I wish P and D nothing but the best they are both class guys. I was glad to see them go as we needed change. The upside of P and D is limited in my opinion and i dont think they will be able to recruit well especially now that Uconn is in limbo at best. Lets kick their ass in a week and move on.

SU is going to be UConn's bowl game. They will be well-prepared for us.

Bill Snyder has shown that he can take a program from the gutter and build it into a BCS bowl caliber team - P has never done that from what I've seen. Once his program got down, he didn't show any signs of being able to build it back to a championship level.

JoePa is the all-time leader in college football wins - he runs a program with huge advantages over just about all competing programs in the east. He's had multiple undefeated seasons. Aside from age I don't see how there's much else relevant to draw a comparison.

i enjoy seeing that maryland is 2-5
beat towson and miami with half their team suspended
screw edsall
last night they showed the fairy dance clip from the end of the Pitt game last year but cut away from it before he pushed his way past his players to do his giant fist pump

I'm enjoying watching both he and Maryland struggle.

This is no surprise.

Don't disagree with any of that, and it's why it made no sense for UConn to hire P.

The program peaked under Edsall, and that peak meant being the worst major bowl game participant in decades. That program, given its geographic and institutional limitations, needed a young, innovative coach to come in and rebuild. I just don't see how bringing in a 62 year old guy, who can't possibly have more than a few years of this left in him and spent the past 6 years in the NFL, was the prudent decision.

Although I'm thrilled UConn made that decision, because it ensures SU will continue to put them in our rear-view mirror.

JoePa is not running the Penn State program. He's been a figurehead for years.