Palm | Syracusefan.com

Palm

djorange1989

Living Legend
The man is insane. I just saw him on the CBSSN basketball show. He had us as his second team out going into today and after we pounded Tech he moved us down a slot! Illinois is his first team out(What?) he has Wichita State still out(of course they will probably get an auto bid tomorrow). He still has Cal in. The other guys on the show jumped on him about Cuse being left out, Szerbiak in particular.

Not insane.
Will go with Palm from this point.
Like his negativity.
Await upside surprise.

The man is insane. I just saw him on the CBSSN basketball show. He had us as his second team out going into today and after we pounded Tech he moved us down a slot! Illinois is his first team out(What?) he has Wichita State still out(of course they will probably get an auto bid tomorrow). He still has Cal in. The other guys on the show jumped on him about Cuse being left out, Szerbiak in particular.

I thought about making a clever joke about his name, but am trying to post extra carefully, so this picture will have to suffice for now as to my feelings on Jerry Palm at the moment.

iu

View attachment 90847 I am not making this up. He thinks we have some work to do in the BigEast tournament.

I saw that and was put off at first, but then had a change of heart. Maybe he was pulling a "me", and saying something along the flavor of what the announcer was saying today...moving an entire conference up to where the Big East played, for how many teams? (SU, Pitt, BC...ironically, none of which even finished in the top half, and 2 of the 3 brought up The Backside!!! You cant make this stuff up, so I almost respect Palm for his cleverness, even though he is named after an illegal move.

He's crazy this year.

That all being said Syracuse is around the 4th or 5th last team in on my list after yesterday. Even if I took a real conservative approach, the worse I can see the committee having us at right now is the last team in the tournament (behind teams like USC, Xavier, Rhode Island, Vandy). But that is where the line stops. How can he go 3 more teams deeper than that is beyond me.

In terms of moving up or down it's all relative to position. The Georgia Tech game was not a big mover. Wake and Vandy wins were (a top 50 road win and a top 10 home win respectively). As I had us above all of Cal, Illinois, Wake and Vandy yesterday it's understandable that we lost two spots in my ranking. But if you had Syracuse below Cal and Illinois (like Palm did) it's hard for me to fathom how we did not gain a few spots yesterday on his list.

Last edited:
He's crazy this year.

That all being said Syracuse is around the 4th or 5th last team in on my list after yesterday. Even if I took a real conservative approach, the worse I can see the committee having us at right now is the last team in the tournament (behind teams like USC, Xavier, Rhode Island, Vandy). But that is where the line stops. How can he go 3 more teams deeper than that is beyond me.

As an aside, I would move Syracuse down one or two spots as well yesterday as beating Tech at Home by any margin is not a big mover, but Wake's top 50 road win was and Vandy's top 10 road win was. But that is because I already had us above Illinois and Cal. If for some reason a person had us below Cal and Illinois like Palm did, there is no reason for us not moving up a few spots. We should have moved up in his mind.

Vandy win's against Florida was in Nashville.

He has 3 teams that will be out on the next matrix above us. 2 convincing outs in Kansas St and Cal, and Illinois who slides after losing to 2-15 Rutgers.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Having Uri and Illinois ahead of us is insane, I had us ahead of Illinois going into yesterday.

As long as the losses to BC and St. John's are on our record Palm will not put SU in the field. Even if we beat UNC he's not putting us in. He's fixated to a crazy degree on bad loses. Yet he still has Illinois ahead of us. Guess he didn't get the memo from the selection committee -- any team that loses to Rutgers is officially out.

6-7 versus the top 50, and we're his 3rd in the last four out. CBS says he hits 99%? I don't believe that. If we beat Miami, and lose to UNC. How can you keep out 7-8 versus the top 50, with three top 10 wins at the time? So many of these bubble teams haven't even played as many top 50 teams as we have beat.

He says no team has ever made it with only two road wins, or whatever he said. We need to take care of Miami. If they keep us out if we win. Eh, I won't get it but have a feeling they may. Beat Miami, and UNC. Unlike others, I think we have a solid shot against UNC.

6-7 versus the top 50, and we're his 3rd in the last four out. CBS says he hits 99%? I don't believe that. If we beat Miami, and lose to UNC. How can you keep out 7-8 versus the top 50, with three top 10 wins at the time? So many of these bubble teams haven't even played as many top 50 teams as we have beat.

He says no team has ever made it with only two road wins, or whatever he said. We need to take care of Miami. If they keep us out if we win. Eh, I won't get it but have a feeling they may. Beat Miami, and UNC. Unlike others, I think we have a solid shot against UNC.
In Brooklyn with White and Battle playing at the level they are capable of..

We absolutely have a shot. Maybe Roberson finds redemption this postseason because there are some teams against which we desperately need him.

If we beat Miami and they leave us out...I'll probably break my tv. That would be an absolute disgrace given who we've played/beaten compared to the other bubble teams.

Hopefully remember to guard the Euro kid from Miami on Wednesday. He was the only one who could do anything against us in the Dome. I like our chances in this game. It's really hard for Miami to score this year.

Hopefully remember to guard the Euro kid from Miami on Wednesday. He was the only one who could do anything against us in the Dome. I like our chances in this game. It's really hard for Miami to score this year.

EXTREMELY worried about him and Reed, both can get really hot and have very deep range and are not shy at all. One thing the zone will do is limit Browns and Newtons driving ability, they eat up m2m. Id bet this game opens up a pickem of miami -1,-2

I get 2 no road wins for us but it's not as if Cal was a power away from home with 4.I ha very us and Vanderbilt in with Cal and roDE island just out

I just hope Palm does not have some inside info on what the committee will really be stressing this year and that's reflecting why he keeps having us out.

If we make it, I don't want anything to do with Wichita State. Just shows that Palm doesn't even watch games. Stat nerd at its finest. Hopefully the committee watches games, though I doubt it. Can we get some people in there who know basketball, please.

EXTREMELY worried about him and Reed, both can get really hot and have very deep range and are not shy at all. One thing the zone will do is limit Browns and Newtons driving ability, they eat up m2m. Id bet this game opens up a pickem of miami -1,-2

We will be favored.

I just hope Palm does not have some inside info on what the committee will really be stressing this year and that's reflecting why he keeps having us out.
It seems unlikely.

Lets face it - tournament selection is completely subjective. Even on this board - everyone has a different opinion on what matters, what doesn't, who should be in, etc. I agree that Palm is simply looking at RPI and road wins. He values those 2 things more than other people it seems - and those are weak points to our resume. That doesn't mean the committee will feel the same.

Palm even said that he thinks our "bad losses will negate our good wins" - that makes no sense. St. Johns beat Seton Hall, Providence and Marquette this year. But he never mentioned those as bad losses (it was @PC as well). Georgetown also beat Maruqette by 20 3 weeks ago and won @Butler and beat Creighton.

It honestly seems like he has something against us.

Vandy win's against Florida was in Nashville.

So what, thats a sweep of a top 10 team, road and then home. Extremely hard to do. Vandy has some great wins and might steal a spot from us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom