Palm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Palm

It seems unlikely.

Lets face it - tournament selection is completely subjective. Even on this board - everyone has a different opinion on what matters, what doesn't, who should be in, etc. I agree that Palm is simply looking at RPI and road wins. He values those 2 things more than other people it seems - and those are weak points to our resume. That doesn't mean the committee will feel the same.

Palm even said that he thinks our "bad losses will negate our good wins" - that makes no sense. St. Johns beat Seton Hall, Providence and Marquette this year. But he never mentioned those as bad losses (it was @PC as well). Georgetown also beat Maruqette by 20 3 weeks ago and won @Butler and beat Creighton.

It honestly seems like he has something against us.

He has nothing against us. I agree that our bad losses and the style they happened with, negate some of our big wins at HOME. The johnnies loss was embarrassing, they are a mess with mullin and UVA is very beatable with the style they play.

So what, thats a sweep of a top 10 team, road and then home. Extremely hard to do. Vandy has some great wins and might steal a spot from us.

Their resume is very similar to ours.

So what, thats a sweep of a top 10 team, road and then home. Extremely hard to do. Vandy has some great wins and might steal a spot from us.

I wasn't downplaying the win because it was at home. I was correcting an earlier post in the thread that said yesterday was a road win. Pay attention.

I wasn't downplaying the win because it was at home. I was correcting an earlier post in the thread that said yesterday was a road win. Pay attention.

Oh ok, thanks for the heads up, i will ...

I just hope Palm does not have some inside info on what the committee will really be stressing this year and that's reflecting why he keeps having us out.

Why do people always think bracketologists have inside info? I heard the same about Lunardi last year. Strange.

He has nothing against us. I agree that our bad losses and the style they happened with, negate some of our big wins at HOME. The johnnies loss was embarrassing, they are a mess with mullin and UVA is very beatable with the style they play.
I could give two ***** about "bad losses". If the goal is to pick the best teams, give me teams who can beat people rather than teams with similar resumes who avoided bad losses.

I know I'm not on the committee but that's my two cents and is the same every year.

Team A has 3 awful losses and 4 great wins vs Team B with no bad losses and 1 great win.

Oh, and Team A went 10-8 in the best conference (by far) in CBB. ...I'm actually offended we're even mentioned as on the bubble right now when I look at the scrub teams we're grouped in with.

Give me Team A every time and it's a joke if anyone thinks otherwise. (imo)

Your on the bubble which shows teams have proven that they can lose games wins should be the decider

I could give two ***** about "bad losses". If the goal is to pick the best teams, give me teams who can beat people rather than teams with similar resumes who avoided bad losses.

I know I'm not on the committee but that's my two cents and is the same every year.

Team A has 3 awful losses and 4 great wins vs Team B with no bad losses and 1 great win.

Oh, and Team A went 10-8 in the best conference (by far) in CBB. ...I'm actually offended we're even mentioned as on the bubble right now when I look at the scrub teams we're grouped in with.

Give me Team A every time and it's a joke if anyone thinks otherwise. (imo)

I get it man about the bad loss thing. I am with you. Thing is, we had 2 wins away from the dome aaallll year. Thats alarming in these guys' eyes.

I get it man about the bad loss thing. I am with you. Thing is, we had 2 wins away from the dome aaallll year. Thats alarming in these guys' eyes.
Yea, that's not ideal but it's not like anyone else in the ACC was killing it on the road either.

I'm just of the opinion that a 10-8 ACC Record and wins over Miami, Duke, Virginia and FSU should far outweigh the OOC debacle when we were clearly all out of sorts.

The fact everyone has us solidly in except for Palm is bizarre. The fact Palm has us so far out that a win over Miami in the ACCT might not get us in is even more bizarre.

6-7 versus the top 50, and we're his 3rd in the last four out. CBS says he hits 99%? I don't believe that. If we beat Miami, and lose to UNC. How can you keep out 7-8 versus the top 50, with three top 10 wins at the time? So many of these bubble teams haven't even played as many top 50 teams as we have beat.

He says no team has ever made it with only two road wins, or whatever he said. We need to take care of Miami. If they keep us out if we win. Eh, I won't get it but have a feeling they may. Beat Miami, and UNC. Unlike others, I think we have a solid shot against UNC.

99% probably includes his percentage of 68. Even that I don't believe.

You guys have to stop with the "he has something against us" type of lines

He had us IN last year and fought for us on every show. He's just a numbers guy who has a specific data set he sits on. He could be wrong...but it's not because he doesn't like us or likes someone else.

Gregg Marshall ripped Palm last night after Wichita's win. He also said that Palm is 61 out of 88 bracketologists as far as most accurate

You guys have to stop with the "he has something against us" type of lines

He had us IN last year and fought for us on every show. He's just a numbers guy who has a specific data set he sits on. He could be wrong...but it's not because he doesn't like us or likes someone else.
Tell me why Cal then lol

Honestly don't really hold anything against Palm. We simply have a very divisive resume, so to speak. 3 huge home wins, and a few really bad losses. So how do you really judge that? Some, like Lunardi, seem to value those top 10 wins and feel the committee will as well. Palm views our resume differently.

Honestly don't really hold anything against Palm. We simply have a very divisive resume, so to speak. 3 huge home wins, and a few really bad losses. So how do you really judge that? Some, like Lunardi, seem to value those top 10 wins and feel the committee will as well. Palm views our resume differently.

just a side note, we don't have any top 10 wins.

but other than that, i agree with you.

Gregg Marshall ripped Palm last night after Wichita's win. He also said that Palm is 61 out of 88 bracketologists as far as most accurate
I just don't believe that is true.

just a side note, we don't have any top 10 wins.

but other than that, i agree with you.

Weren't some of our wins against teams in the top 10 at the time? And if so, doesn't that count for something?

Weren't some of our wins against teams in the top 10 at the time? And if so, doesn't that count for something?

If they go by rpi we are still in good shape, all 3 are in the top 15, I believe, one might be 16 or 17.

I respect Palm atleast he gives out his reasons and doesn't have the biases that Lunardi has.
We aren't a lock but I would say we have a better current resume than Wake Forest right now. They beat Louisville , Miami and VPI those were the only top 9 ACC teams they beat.
4 wins against BC and NC State, Clemson, Pitt were their other 2 wins.
That isn't better than our wins even with their road wins.

I respect Palm atleast he gives out his reasons and doesn't have the biases that Lunardi has.
We aren't a lock but I would say we have a better current resume than Wake Forest right now. They beat Louisville , Miami and VPI those were the only top 9 ACC teams they beat.
4 wins against BC and NC State, Clemson, Pitt were their other 2 wins.
That isn't better than our wins even with their road wins.
No. Bad. Losses.
(and one really good - and recent- road win over V.Tech)

No. Bad. Losses.
(and one really good - and recent- road win over V.Tech)
No bad losses isn't a criteria from the committee.
Bad losses affect your RPI which is what the committee is throwing away being the most important.

Committee looks at who you played, who you beat, did you play a good nonconference schedule, did you challenge yourself.
Bad losses hurt you more for losing a win than they are a criteria.

If we make it, I don't want anything to do with Wichita State. Just shows that Palm doesn't even watch games. Stat nerd at its finest. Hopefully the committee watches games, though I doubt it. Can we get some people in there who know basketball, please.

Problem is, the committee is comprised of a bunch of suits. Feinstein has been barking for years: Let's make this thing transparent by letting a media member into a committee of former coaches having a round table discussion. I totally agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom