Paschal Chukwu | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Paschal Chukwu

He’s come a long way I’ll give him that. His conditioning is incredible actually. Especially towards the end of the season last year. Unlike you however, I won’t shed a tear when he moves on from SU.
Chewy is going to stay for his 6th!!

Please send me the footage you have of Sidibe catching the ball, putting on an offensive move and scoring. I’m rooting like hell for him to be able to do that. But it sure hasn’t happened yet.
He did it a few times last year. Not many but a few. Which is a few more than Chukwu.

I know you've already been rebuked a bunch of times on this thread, and normally I don't like piling on ... but I want to actually answer this question, because nobody has and its important to note.

Chukwu got the freshman year Fab Melo token start in this game because he's hurt with a groin injury, so you can't blame muscle development like you did in some other post, unless you can think of a good groin work out he should try (who is going to make this joke I'm setting everybody up for?).

Boeheim started Chukwu so Ohio St would have to prepare for him, but he had no intention of playing Chukwu for more than a few minutes. I know this, because Chukwu hardly played at all until both Sidibe and Dolezaj fouled out, even though the only reliable scoring Ohio St was getting was throwing the ball down to their 300 pound center, having him throw a shoulder or elbow into a Syracuse player, and letting the official inexplicably call a foul on the Syracuse player who fell down.

That 300 pound center got 14 foul shots this way (all of them bullshit).

The funny thing is, even though Chukwu was not in the gameplan, and even though he was clearly playing hurt, that bullshit stopped when he got in the game. It stopped because when that 300 pound Ohio St center dropped his shoulder against Chukwu, he was able to stand his ground.

You try holding your ground against a 300 pound man pushing you around when you have a groin injury.

I think Chukwu's defense going down the stretch was every bit as important as Battle's offense was. I was extremely impressed with his strength and his high threshold for pain. He might be skinny but to my eyes he looked like the strongest guy on the court by a pretty wide margin.

And has anybody else noticed that Chukwu seems to play his best when his SU's back is against the wall? You've got to like that.

My point about conditioning and strength exercises was about what he did, or didn't do, this summer as well as the previous three years at SU, and had absolutely nothing to do how to recover from what I'm sure is a painful injury.

Kaleb Wesson picked up his fourth foul with 10:38 left in the game. That may have had something to do with his limited minutes and how he played after that point. He missed the one of two free throws when he was fouled by Tyus at 5:47 left. That was arguably a bad call because pretty sure Wesson was moving on that pick of Tyus.

I noticed JB pulled PC quickly in the Cornell game as well, but I'm sure that was just to protect him and to get the Cornell coach to "game plan" for Chukwu's presence. Then again, I saw JB screaming in his mug immediately upon sitting down just like in the previous game. So maybe it was also performance related.

Last edited:
Surprised I havent seen much about PC in the 2nd half. Although Govan had a great day and put up good numbers, I thought Pascal was great in the 2nd half for us on defense and contributing on offense. This guy takes a lot of criticism on here but when he plays like he did in the 2nd half for us then that's really all we need out of our 5 for us to be successful. Govan is one of the better bigs he will play all year and is pretty physical as well. It wasnt like he was pushed around during this game. Hes going to need to bring it like this all year now especially when we meet up with buffalo.

Surprised I havent seen much about PC in the 2nd half. Although Govan had a great day and put up good numbers, I thought Pascal was great in the 2nd half for us on defense and contributing on offense. This guy takes a lot of criticism on here but when he plays like he did in the 2nd half for us then that's really all we need out of our 5 for us to be successful. Govan is one of the better bigs he will play all year and is pretty physical as well. It wasnt like he was pushed around during this game. Hes going to need to bring it like this all year now especially when we meet up with buffalo.

If he can give us 8 points, along with the other things he brings - that’s a huge help.

Just give us 8. A roll to the hoop and finish. A dunk off a lob. A putback or two. That would go a long way.

If he can give us 8 points, along with the other things he brings - that’s a huge help.

Just give us 8. A roll to the hoop and finish. A dunk off a lob. A putback or two. That would go a long way.
And maybe more than 3 rebounds.

Seems like Boeheim in the presser (although he says things) is wanting to get him more involved in the future. He moves really well for his size.

Those ball screens where he was rolling hard to the basket, vs. the screens where he was kinda just floating around in the way were night and day.

Yup. If he could use his length combined with his height and dunk some of these balls. He could be throwing some down from distance. Those little ballerina like soft layups are fine I guess, albeit comical. But, this was some progress tonight. The sweet drive/spin/pass from Carey to him was nice. Need more Carey...paramount.

You’re gonna complain regardless right crybaby?.
Call it complaining all you like. We got thoroughly outrebounded last night including giving up 14 offensive boards. He's our 7'2" center. Rebounding is literally the job description.

Call it complaining all you like. We got thoroughly outrebounded last night including giving up 14 offensive boards. He's our 7'2" center. Rebounding is literally the job description.
Chukwu (and Sidibe) need to anchor the defensive rebounding, because that's an area of concern for this team, and something that really limits transition opportunities. Brissett is an excellent offensive rebounder but doesn't really shine on the defensive glass. Battle and Hughes are average at best rebounders for their positions on both ends. Dolezaj has his moments but can get shoved around because of his size. Howard is a good rebounder but has been largely a non-factor there since returning. Carey looks like a sneaky and very good rebounder for his size.

Chukwu (and Sidibe) need to anchor the defensive rebounding, because that's an area of concern for this team, and something that really limits transition opportunities. Brissett is an excellent offensive rebounder but doesn't really shine on the defensive glass. Battle and Hughes are average at best rebounders for their positions on both ends. Dolezaj has his moments but can get shoved around because of his size. Howard is a good rebounder but has been largely a non-factor there since returning. Carey looks like a sneaky and very good rebounder for his size.

Dolezaj has really been less effective on the boards this year. He seemed to have a nose for rebounds last year despite his size. This year he has been very quiet on the boards. He's averaging less than half the boards he did last year (2.3 vs 4.9 ).

That’s true. And of course you’re the one to point it out, regardless of the other things he did well.

Dolezaj has really been less effective on the boards this year. He seemed to have a nose for rebounds last year despite his size. This year he has been very quiet on the boards. He's averaging less than half the boards he did last year (2.3 vs 4.8 ).
I think the minutes is definitely a factor too

I think the minutes is definitely a factor too

His rebounds adjusted for 40 minutes last year was 6.9 vs 4.9 this year and per 100 possessions was 10.8 vs 7.2 this year. He's getting 19.2 minutes per game vs 27.9 last year. I can see his minutes increasing in conference play like they did last year especially if he can facilitate and be more offensive minded but we need him on the boards.

Marek Dolezaj College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Looking back through the years our average game rebounding has stayed pretty steady not great over the years. We are actually averaging more total rebounds (38) since 2009-2010 when we also averaged 38, which currently ranks us in the low 80's in college basketball . Georgetown ranks in the mid 50's nationally with 39. The last year we averaged 40 rebounds a game was back in 2008-2009 (when we ranked in the low 40's nationally). We've been better than average each year but certainly not an elite rebounding team despite our length. The zone may have much to do with this but I see more man man to man teams below us too.

His rebounds adjusted for 40 minutes last year was 6.9 vs 4.9 this year and per 100 possessions was 10.8 vs 7.2 this year. He's getting 19.2 minutes per game vs 27.9 last year. I can see his minutes increasing in conference play like they did last year especially if he can facilitate and be more offensive minded but we need him on the boards.

Looking back through the years our average game rebounding has stayed pretty steady not great over the years. We are actually averaging more total rebounds (38) since 2009-2010 when we also averaged 38, which currently ranks us in the low 80's in college basketball . Georgetown ranks in the mid 50's nationally with 39. The last year we averaged 40 rebounds a game was back in 2008-2009 (when we ranked in the low 40's nationally). We've been better than average each year but certainly not an elite rebounding team despite our length. The zone may have much to do with this but I see more man man to man teams below us too.
Good numbers.

A big difference for Marek from last year is that he has, of necessity, played most at center against bigger stronger players. It makes getting rebounds more difficult for him.
Sidibe for whatever reason is not playing very well when called on. I think he is not 100% physically, seems to have trouble with his base, often off balance and not staying verticle or getting off his feet for rebounds or defensively.
Jim now has other options at the forward positions, but he needs Marek at center even though he is undersized for the position.

Last edited:
That’s true. And of course you’re the one to point it out, regardless of the other things he did well.
When he does something truly well, like he did last year with his free throws, I'll be glad to call him out for it. But just being able to catch a pass and making an uncontested layup isn't doing anything "well."

A big difference for Marek from last year is that he has, of necessity, played most at center against bigger stronger players. It makes getting rebounds more difficult for him.
Sidibe for whatever reason is not playing very well when called on. I think he is not 100% physically, seems to have trouble with his base, often off balance and not staying verticle or getting off his feet for rebounds or defensively.

I agree. Since Hughes has a much better and more consistent offense, Marek will be a secondary option at forward just like he is at center. It has definitely affected his minutes, we do trade some rebounding for offense but with our poor offense, Hughes appears to be the obvious answer. I think Marek has a really high ceiling but he has to help himself and the team out by developing his body as a 6’10” physically ready player with a more confident consistent offensive option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom