Pay the Assistant Coaches! | Syracusefan.com

Pay the Assistant Coaches!

I didn't miss the thread. Staffs lose assistants every now and then. If we lose one, it won't be the end of the world.

I a
I didn't miss the thread. Staffs lose assistants every now and then. If we lose one, it won't be the end of the world.
i agree with you, I just want to know who

It's possible that Shafer actually fired the coach that's leaving. It may not be a coach leaving by choice.

We aren't conditioned to think positively.

It will be if it's the coach unofficially responsible for bringing in most of the recruit commits. I have no inside info so I hope there are no staff changes.

CIL said:

That thread is the worst.

Chip said:
That thread is the worst.

That's saying something on this board.

They do get paid.

What are their salaries? Cant think they are comparable to other staffs knowing what HCSS makes

Don't know. Pretty sure there is a "budget" for the whole staff, so the more the HC gets paid, the less there is for assts. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I heard Marrone took a little less his first contract so that there would be a bit more to get assts. I'm sure the ACC money will help some. But as a private school SU has never been near the top in salaries for fball nor bball.

Don't know. Pretty sure there is a "budget" for the whole staff, so the more the HC gets paid, the less there is for assts. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I heard Marrone took a little less his first contract so that there would be a bit more to get assts. I'm sure the ACC money will help some. But as a private school SU has never been near the top in salaries for fball nor bball.
Thats true. JB has been horribly underpaid his whole career

With the new ACC revenue stream.

Don't lose coaches over money.

Stability - recruiting - is crucial at this stage in the revitalization of the Program.

If you want them to stay, pay 'em!
Do you know for a fact that

a) someone is leaving?
b) that someone is leaving due to money?

Syracuse should pay the assistants because the program needs continuity as much as anything else this offseason. Shafer is creating a nice atmosphere but we need injury-and-departure-free continuity to capitalize on it.

That said, staff salaries, like much else in college football, is part of arm's race a private school like Syracuse can't win. Bama pays their defensive coordinator north of $1m per year. That sounds crazy at first but it might be fair market value when you consider the salary as a percentage of revenue created by their program. I'm pretty sure average assistant salaries are around $200k in the BCS. The goal for Syracuse should be to beat the average pay -- and offer a premium to its best recruiters -- but not overcommit or get into bidding wars for coaching talent against SEC money.