Peach Jam | Syracusefan.com

Peach Jam

AlpharettaCuse

Adhere to the protocols
IMG_3783.JPG
IMG_3755.JPG
IMG_3755.JPG
View attachment 104070 View attachment 104070 Drove over from Atlanta to catch the late games at Peach Jam yesterday. There were 4 or 5 games going on at 8pm, and 3 at 9:30. We found the gym the Cuse staff was watching, and of course it was Jalen Carey. Boeheim and Gmac were watching Carey play. We watched the first half of his, game and he hit a 3, and a just seemed to be up and down the floor a lot, and was all over the place grabbing rebounds, passing the ball, driving to the basket. Looks like a very good player. Very athletic and fast. I didn't see any other noteworthy coaches watching Carey. Cal and Coach K were in a different gym. Jay Wright was watching Swider, who we watched for a little bit. Very impressed with Swider. Wish we would have landed him.

Boehiem left at halftime of this game and moved over to watch Team Melo play. Red was already there watching this game. They watched this game until the end and headed out the coaches area to wait for Bazely's game at 9:30. We got a chance to talk to Allen Griffin a little bit, and congratulated him on his recruiting wins so far. Griff asked us if we'd seen Gerry yet, but we hadn't had a chance to talk to him.

We spotted Coach B talking to Mark Few for a long time-seems like they are friends. When he was done, we went over to say hello. My 10 year daughter had her Peal shirt on, so Coach thought that was pretty cool, and shook her hand. I asked if he was watching Darius Bazely's game next, and he said "yeah..he's really good". JB, Gmac, Red and Griffin all sat together watching Bazely. Mark Turgeon came in at halftime and sat next to Boehiem. They talked for a long time. I thought there was some friction between them a few years ago, but apparently not. Oddly enough, John Beilien sat one seat over from JB and there was an empty chair between them, and they never spoke or looked at each other that I saw. Wonder if they don't get along. That struck me as odd, since Beilein coached at LeMoyne for a while.

Baze is a pogo stick. Super athletic. He reminds me of Derrick Coleman and Hakim Warrick, but plays more like Carmelo. Didn't post up, handles the ball, good passer, and shoots it well. He brought the ball up court a lot. He's fun to watch. We were able to sit down on the court, and the older guy next to us was taking notes. He saw my daughter's Pearl shirt, and told us he'd known Pearl very well, since Pearl was a freshman in high school. He told us Pearl was one of the nicest, gentlest people he'd ever known. We talked to this guy for a bit, and told us we should watch Buddy Boeheim play. I told him Cuse fans are hoping to land Buddy, and he smiled and said he thought we have a good shot.

This was the guy:

Tom Konchalski Stands Out on the Court, as a Scout

After the game, we headed out to leave and ran into Red. Talked to him for a minute. Nice guy, and very charismatic. We are headed back to Atlanta at 11pm, and stop at the first gas station. I buy a scratch off for my daughter and we leave. She wins $2 and wants to go back in to cash in. As we get in line, my daughter points out Darius Bazely in front of us, still in uniform, with his AAU coach. Baze sees us in our Orange gear and says "Syracuse! Yes Sir!". Seems like a nice kid.

Fun trip, and glad to see all 4 Cuse coaches there. Last time I went two years ago, it was only Hopkins that was there. I didn't see Hopkins this time. As someone else mentioned, it would have been nice to see the staff in Orange. They all wore gray/white for some reason.

Edit: Forgot to mention we saw Greg Paulus there talking to Beilein. He didn't have any school gear on, and I don't think he's found another job, since losing his at Ohio State.

Last edited:
Drove over from Atlanta to catch the late games at Peach Jam last yesterday. There were 4 or 5 games going on at 8pm, and 3 at 9:30. We found the gym the Cuse staff was watching, and of course it was Jalen Carey. Boeheim and Gmac were watching Carey play. We watched the first half of his, game and he hit a 3, and a just seemed to be up and down the floor a lot, and was all over the place grabbing rebounds, passing the ball, driving to the basket. Looks like a very good player. Very athletic and fast. I didn't see any other noteworthy coaches watching Carey. Cal and Coach K were in a different gym. Jay Wright was watching Swider, who we watched for a little bit. Very impressed with Swider. Wish we would have landed him.

Boehiem left at halftime of this game and moved over to watch Team Melo play. Red was already there watching this game. They watched this game until the end and headed out the coaches area to wait for Bazely's game at 9:30. We got a chance to talk to Allen Griffin a little bit, and congratulated him on his recruiting wins so far. Griff asked us if we'd seen Gerry yet, but we hadn't had a chance to talk to him.

We spotted Coach B talking to Mark Few for a long time-seems like they are friends. When he was done, we went over to say hello. My 10 year daughter had her Peal shirt on, so Coach thought that was pretty cool, and shook her hand. I asked if he was watching Darius Bazely's game next, and he said "yeah..he's really good". JB, Gmac, Red and Griffin all sat together watching Bazely. Mark Turgeon came in at halftime and sat next to Boehiem. They talked for a long time. I thought there was some friction between them a few years ago, but apparently not. Oddly enough, John Beilien sat one seat over from JB and there was an empty chair between them, and they never spoke or looked at each other that I saw. Wonder if they don't get along. That struck me as odd, since Beilein coached at LeMoyne for a while.

Baze is a pogo stick. Super athletic. He reminds me of Derrick Coleman and Hakim Warrick, but plays more like Carmelo. Didn't post up, handles the ball, good passer, and shoots it well. He brought the ball up court a lot. He's fun to watch. We were able to sit down on the court, and the older guy next to us was taking notes. He saw my daughter's Pearl shirt, and told us he'd known Pearl very well, since Pearl was a freshman in high school. He told us Pearl was one of the nicest, gentlest people he'd ever known. We talked to this guy for a bit, and told us we should watch Buddy Boeheim play. I told him Cuse fans are hoping to land Buddy, and he smiled and said he thought we have a good shot.

This was the guy:

After the game, we headed out to leave and ran into Red. Talked to him for a minute. Nice guy, and very charismatic. We are headed back to Atlanta at 11pm, and stop at the first gas station. I buy a scratch off for my daughter and we leave. She wins $2 and wants to go back in to cash in. As we get in line, my daughter points out Darius Bazely in front of us, still in uniform, with his AAU coach. Baze sees us in our Orange gear and says "Syracuse! Yes Sir!". Seems like a nice kid.

Fun trip, and glad to see all 4 Cuse coaches there. Last time I went two years ago, it was only Hopkins that was there. I didn't see Hopkins this time. As someone else mentioned, it would have been nice to see the staff in Orange. They all wore gray/white for some reason.

Posts like this are my favorite thing about this board. Thanks so much for sharing.

Drove over from Atlanta to catch the late games at Peach Jam last yesterday. There were 4 or 5 games going on at 8pm, and 3 at 9:30. We found the gym the Cuse staff was watching, and of course it was Jalen Carey. Boeheim and Gmac were watching Carey play. We watched the first half of his, game and he hit a 3, and a just seemed to be up and down the floor a lot, and was all over the place grabbing rebounds, passing the ball, driving to the basket. Looks like a very good player. Very athletic and fast. I didn't see any other noteworthy coaches watching Carey. Cal and Coach K were in a different gym. Jay Wright was watching Swider, who we watched for a little bit. Very impressed with Swider. Wish we would have landed him.

This was the guy:

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing your observations, AlpharettaCuse

Great writeup and cool experience for you and your daughter! Hope all is well down there with you B!

Thanks Rick! Things going very well. Same to you. We need to catch up. I might be up for the Brothers Tournament in October at OCC.

IMG_3769.JPG
Outstanding write up, AlpharettaCuse! Thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive summary.

Thanks and happy to do it. My daughter was thrilled to meet Coach Boeheim, and he couldn't have been nicer. Same with Red and Griffin. That was worth the drive for me. Getting home at 2:30am was no fun, but glad we did it. Hotel next year.

Also, I have a few pics and video but can't figure out how to post them.

Last edited:

This was the guy:

Edit: Forgot to mention we saw Greg Paulus there talking to Beilein. He didn't have any school gear on, and I don't think he's found another job, since losing his at Ohio State.
Really enjoyed reading this ! Thanks for taking the time and sharing. Did Carey make eye contact with Boeheim?

Great stuff! I will have to remember to bring at least one of my children if I ever go to something like that.

You should. Kevin Durant was there yesterday and Shaq the day before. Lotta fun if they like basketball.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW - Tom Konchalski is indeed a very nice guy. I used to chat with him from time to time back in the OrangeNation days when I was going to all these recruiting events. He's super knowledgeable and a great judge of talent.

Mason

Drove over from Atlanta to catch the late games at Peach Jam yesterday. There were 4 or 5 games going on at 8pm, and 3 at 9:30. We found the gym the Cuse staff was watching, and of course it was Jalen Carey. Boeheim and Gmac were watching Carey play. We watched the first half of his, game and he hit a 3, and a just seemed to be up and down the floor a lot, and was all over the place grabbing rebounds, passing the ball, driving to the basket. Looks like a very good player. Very athletic and fast. I didn't see any other noteworthy coaches watching Carey. Cal and Coach K were in a different gym. Jay Wright was watching Swider, who we watched for a little bit. Very impressed with Swider. Wish we would have landed him.

This was the guy:

Sounds like an awesome time! I used to do this when Adidas had its camp up in New Jersey. There's nothing quite like seeing the coaches, and the guys like Konchalski, and talking to them about recruiting. Thanks for sharing a great post!

IMG_3754.JPG
Thanks for sharing.

BTW - Tom Konchalski is indeed a very nice guy. I used to chat with him from time to time back in the OrangeNation days when I was going to all these recruiting events. He's super knowledgeable and a great judge of talent.

Mason

He seemed the like nicest, most authentic person ever. It was like talking to your grandfather. I knew he was someone, but I wish I knew who he was at the time. I probably would have asked him a hundred questions, while he was trying to work, though. Just the way he spoke, and the way he looked you in they eye, you could tell he was a special person. Seemed really humble. Very nice talking with him.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Mason

Yeah, Tom is a legend...along with Howard Garfinkel and the 5 Star Basketball camps. This was the start of the recruiting craze, as I recall.

IMG_3760.JPG
fallout from the Battle battle?

Hadn't thought of that. Could be! I thought I recall JB saying he was undefeated against John Beilein right before the 2012 FF and then Michigan beat us. Maybe both.

Last edited:
Yeah, Tom is a legend...along with Howard Garfinkel and the 5 Star Basketball camps. This was the start of the recruiting craze, as I recall.

I thought he might be Garfinkel when he sat down, since I'd never seen a photo of either one.

Attachments

• IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online