Peach Jam | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Peach Jam

That is just what we need, more regulation. Why should there be private property? Why not run the economy by public referendum implemented by politicians? Venezuela, Cuba, Europe, Russia, China, so many good examples to follow. 20 trillion in debt. That is not enough. Spend more. Why should anyone pay for anything? Tax, spend and regulate our way to utopia. "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.” Feel the Bern.
OTB discussion. But yes, of course we need regulations -- rules of the road are required for every market. See you in OTB if further explanation is required.

A couple questions about that:

What am I looking to spend to get started brewing? What is start up for avid brewer? Is there a resource/website to help me get started?

You can start brewing at home for as little as hundred dollars if you have a few larger pots already in your kitchen. If you wanted a dedicated 'kit' you're probably looking at somewhere between $150-400 depending on what you want. The cheaper starter kits don't have wort chillers, which I believe are essential to making good homebrew (the faster you can cool down from your boil, the better). If you are handy you can make your own with copper tubing from Home Depot and a couple of clamps for a fraction of the price for a wort chiller. My go-to place for buying beer gear and ingredients is morebeer.com. Great resource, super service, and free shipping on orders over $59.

Be warned that it is can be a very expensive hobby. Once you get rolling there is always a new gizmo out there promising great results (and many of them deliver). I've probably sunk $3k-4k into brewing related equipment over the 18 years I've been brewing, but I have a pretty nice all-grain system now with 10 gallon mash tun, 10 gallon hot liquor tank and sparging setup, 5 fermenters, and a small library of literature on brewing, plus a kegerator that I built.

Wish I had more time to brew, and could drink more of it. I probably end up giving away 75% of what I brew...

You can PM me if you want more specific guidance. I've probably helped about 20 people get into homebrewing over the last 15 years.

Mason

They're fine with science when it supports efficiencies (especially automation) and drives technological development. They're not as attentive when it supports regulation.
motivated reasoning is a non-partisan phenomenon

motivated reasoning is a non-partisan phenomenon
True, but each party has its own motivations. Anti-regulation motivations are generally one party, hence my reference to interference from the current administration. But happy to take this further on OTB>

BTW. I like your Irish Orange avatar.

Last edited:
I'm probably misinformed but I thought I remembered reading on here a long time ago that they were never close.

No they are good friends. He was at one of the Boeheim's coaches vs cancer galas about 12 years ago watching how JB organized his fundraising event to start his own . He now has his own successful fundraising event and one of his first guests of honor was Jim Boeheim. He has called JB his mentor.
Gonzaga coach Mark Few on Jim Boeheim: ‘he’s a mentor’

No they are good friends. He was at one of the Boeheim's coaches vs cancer galas about 12 years ago watching how JB organized his fundraising event to start his own . He now has his own successful fundraising event and one of his first guests of honor was Jim Boeheim. He has called JB his mentor.
Gonzaga coach Mark Few on Jim Boeheim: ‘he’s a mentor’
Toga may have been referring to Boeheim vs Beilein.

Boeheim: I don't think he can play for you. He takes too many bad shots.

Bell: Can he play for you?

Boeheim: Well, maybe.
Regarding Carey stats from the recent summer games , he appears to be more or a big time scorer than a playmaker. He generates more points than creates opportunities for others. Is that a good assessment?

Is Syracuse looking for that kind of 1 Guard or are we looking for one that can do both (score but be a playmaker)?

Regarding Carey stats from the recent summer games , he appears to be more or a big time scorer than a playmaker. He generates more points than creates opportunities for others. Is that a good assessment?

Is Syracuse looking for that kind of 1 Guard or are we looking for one that can do both (score but be a playmaker)?

From what I've seen, he's not a pure lead guard [at least not at this stage of his developmental curve]. However, he has a lot of attributes that project to point guard and sees the floor well. So while he might be more of a dominant scorer now [as many big time HS prospects are], Carey's skill set should be translatable to the 1.

You can start brewing at home for as little as hundred dollars if you have a few larger pots already in your kitchen. If you wanted a dedicated 'kit' you're probably looking at somewhere between $150-400 depending on what you want. The cheaper starter kits don't have wort chillers, which I believe are essential to making good homebrew (the faster you can cool down from your boil, the better). If you are handy you can make your own with copper tubing from Home Depot and a couple of clamps for a fraction of the price for a wort chiller. My go-to place for buying beer gear and ingredients is morebeer.com. Great resource, super service, and free shipping on orders over $59.

Be warned that it is can be a very expensive hobby. Once you get rolling there is always a new gizmo out there promising great results (and many of them deliver). I've probably sunk $3k-4k into brewing related equipment over the 18 years I've been brewing, but I have a pretty nice all-grain system now with 10 gallon mash tun, 10 gallon hot liquor tank and sparging setup, 5 fermenters, and a small library of literature on brewing, plus a kegerator that I built.

Wish I had more time to brew, and could drink more of it. I probably end up giving away 75% of what I brew...

You can PM me if you want more specific guidance. I've probably helped about 20 people get into homebrewing over the last 15 years.

Mason

And if we just wanted to receive some of your beer...

OTB discussion. But yes, of course we need regulations -- rules of the road are required for every market. See you in OTB if further explanation is required.
The executive of the U.S. banking giant cited travels to countries such as France, Argentina, Israel and Ireland. The U.S. has become "one of the most bureaucratic, confusing, litigious societies on the planet" and "it's hurting the average American that we don't have these right policies," he said. (Jamie Dimond, CEO JP Morgan Chase, 7/14/17, a noted Democrat)
Let me get this straight - you are worried that we do not have enough regulations.

The executive of the U.S. banking giant cited travels to countries such as France, Argentina, Israel and Ireland. The U.S. has become "one of the most bureaucratic, confusing, litigious societies on the planet" and "it's hurting the average American that we don't have these right policies," he said. (Jamie Dimond, CEO JP Morgan Chase, 7/14/17, a noted Democrat)
Let me get this straight - you are worried that we do not have enough regulations.
Yes. Financial sector (see disaster of 08, lax fiduciary rules); Food/Drug (see supplement industry, food inspections, etc.); Environment (too many issues to cite here); etc.

That's it on here ... OTB please.

And if we just wanted to receive some of your beer...

I do a lot of beer trading by mail and send out a lot of my stuff (though it is ALWAYS better fresh from the keg). PM me if you're interested.

Mason
Great stuff. Thanks Mason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom