Pennies from heaven | Syracusefan.com

Pennies from heaven

Honestly who cares if it is $$$$? Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, and Rick Stansbury all pay money too.

These kids are from there and are going to play for their HS coach why would they go anywhere else.

If this kid didn’t get paid, he is my new favorite player. As the number one player in the class, a bunch of schools would have lined up to give him $100k+. That would have to be hard to turn down.

Memphis is not a P5 school and just goes to show you that if you hire the right guy, talent will go there. It's why I think UConn isn't and won't fall off the face of the earth in hoops, and, can still have great success. They also have 4 titles to pitch, 3 in the past two decades.

Memphis is not a P5 school and just goes to show you that if you hire the right guy, talent will go there. It's why I think UConn isn't and won't fall off the face of the earth in hoops, and, can still have great success. They also have 4 titles to pitch, 3 in the past two decades.

I agree with you to an extent...

Penny is both a Memphis native and went to Memphis. He’s not likely to look for a better job. We’ll find out if Penny can coach. If he can, theyve struck gold because he’ll get players and he’ll likely stay. Unless UConn finds someone like that, they’ll probably be a stepping stone job for anyone that does well there.

Memphis is a special case. The city turns out more top-level talent, per capita, than just about any town in the country. And Memphis talent tends to stay home. The university now has a Memphis city/college legend as its coach. It would be hard for any school to replicate what U of M has.

Now we'll see if Penny can coach.

Last edited:
Memphis is a special case. The city turns out more top-level talent, per capita, than just about any town in the country. And Memphis talent tends to stay home. The university now has a Memphis city/college legend as its coach. It would be hard for any school to replicate what U of M has.

What?? ALL of those scrappy 5’10 Storrs kids will dream of staying home and playing for the ultra intense, super competitor, gritty, gutty, fiery Danny Hurley! It will be great! So much screaming and fist pumping over deflecting balls out of bounds when trailing by 36 points with 4 minutes to go!! Gym rats! Hard nosed!

The only comparable situation I can think of was Clyde Drexler and Houston. He grew up in Houston, played college there and even played for the Rockets. He did not do well there as a coach. That program was a good 15 years past it’s glory days at that point though. The Memphis program Penny has taken over has been a much stronger program than the Houston one Clyde took over.

Also, I don’t think Clyde had done anything to establish himself as a coach first? Penny has been putting in work on the AAU and High School level for awhile I believe. Seems like he’s more dedicated and into it.

I guess we will have to name ‘Melo as JB’s successor
No way.

Head coach Gmac
Assistant head coach Buddy Bohem
Assistant coach Coon Dog
Assistant coach Eric D
:)

The only comparable situation I can think of was Clyde Drexler and Houston. He grew up in Houston, played college there and even played for the Rockets. He did not do well there as a coach. That program was a good 15 years past it’s glory days at that point though. The Memphis program Penny has taken over has been a much stronger program than the Houston one Clyde took over.

Also, I don’t think Clyde had done anything to establish himself as a coach first? Penny has been putting in work on the AAU and High School level for awhile I believe. Seems like he’s more dedicated and into it.

Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullen are crying in a corner somewhere over the fact that you forgot about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom