People are selling Cooney low | Syracusefan.com

People are selling Cooney low

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
In fact, people are selling Cooney at a bottom. This is the time you want to be loading up the truck on Cooney stock. All you guys saying he is only a practice player and things like that have short memories. He was arguably the #1 SG in America for the first half of the season. He wore down mentally and physically and it cost him his consistency at the end of the season. That won't happen next year or the year after.

I'm 100% in the Cooney camp and have total confidence that he will be a stud player for Syracuse for two more years.

In fact, people are selling Cooney at a bottom. This is the time you want to be loading up the truck on Cooney stock. All you guys saying he is only a practice player and things like that have short memories. He was arguably the #1 SG in America for the first half of the season. He wore down mentally and physically and it cost him his consistency at the end of the season. That won't happen next year or the year after.

I'm 100% in the Cooney camp and have total confidence that he will be a stud player for Syracuse for two more years.

I hope so.

I'd be with you if I were playing fantasy ncaab dynasty mode and negotiating a trade.
As a Cuse fan I don't know that I care where his stock is or how I'm supposed to be optimistic after watching the last two months.

I hope he can get back to hitting >40% from three all season long. He'll have to add an awful lot to his game to become a stud, though. I believe he can but it's not a given.

sorry but he finished the season on the yesterday's donuts table.

Cooney's inconsistent at best. Never bought into him, don't think I ever will.

He will improve dramatically if we can get another good shooter on the floor.

I'm down on him, to the point that I wouldn't mind him coming off the bench and giving G the starting spot HOWEVER, I would love to see what Cooney could do if we have another wing shooter out there with him. Not the pg, the pg should be able to shoot anyway, I'm talking a forward who is a threat from 3. This is imperative in CBB now. One of your forwards has to have range and then all of a sudden Cooney gets open a lot easier. He also sees others hitting shots, mentally that's huge.

Unfortunately, regardless of whether Ennis/Grant comes back or not we probably have the same issue next year unless McCullough has range and/or BJJ gets run.

We are not bringing in a shooter this coming year. 2015 we are.

I wouldn't mind cooney seeing only 20 minutes a game until he learns to do something other than shoot threes.

I think he improves quite a bit but he can't be the only threat. They need someone else who is at least serviceable from 3 point range.

Cooney's inconsistent at best. Never bought into him, don't think I ever will.

I wouldn't mind cooney seeing only 20 minutes a game until he learns to do something other than shoot threes.

Okay we get your point. You don't think highly of Cooney. Nobody's asking you to buy into him. The kid exceeded everyone's expectations this year by far. People thinks it's easy to make the jump he did from last year and hit 90 threes in a season. And who do you propose take Cooney's minutes? Not one player off the bench would match what Cooney gave this team. I've said it in other threads, and Orangeyes even brought it up - this team needed another shooter to take the pressure off Cooney. When the second leading three point shooter on the team has just 30 threes, there's a problem. Last year there was Southerland, Triche, Carter-Williams, and Fair all with at least 30 made threes. This year, Cooney made more threes than the rest of the team combined. Heck, he made more than any other player attempted.

I don't care that he shot poorly towards the end of the season. It's the fact that he shot poorly and did not adapt at all. He didnt drive and dish, or drive and attempt to get to the line. It's a widespread belief that he's our best free throw shooter... yet how many attempts did he average a game? Less than 2 or 3?

What scared me most was the fact that he could should 10% from 3 one game, and in the same game put up ZERO assists.

He's a guard. If you can't hit shots, you better friggin help your teammates hit shots.

He's a much better athlete than he displays. I hope he works hard again this offseason.

And lets be honest. He may have had a lot of steals. But was Cooney very good at the top of the zone? I'd say average.

Bottom line is he's played himself into a position where he's useless to us on offense when he's not hitting threes, and G is the better defender.

Cooney better learn how to micromanage and adapt during his poor shooting nights.

I don't care that he shot poorly towards the end of the season. It's the fact that he shot poorly and did not adapt at all. He didnt drive and dish, or drive and attempt to get to the line. It's a widespread belief that he's our best free throw shooter... yet how many attempts did he average a game? Less than 2 or 3?

What scared me most was the fact that he could should 10% from 3 one game, and in the same game put up ZERO assists.

He's a guard. If you can't hit shots, you better friggin help your teammates hit shots.

He's a much better athlete than he displays. I hope he works hard again this offseason.

And lets be honest. He may have had a lot of steals. But was Cooney very good at the top of the zone? I'd say average.

Agreed that he needs to drive more. I think it's fair to say he showed flashes where he got into the lane at times or drove and hit a pull up jumper. He showed he can do it, now he needs to do it more consistently.

It's tough to get assists when others can't hit shots either. That said, getting more assists is something else he can, and needs to, work on.

I'm not saying Cooney's the best player out there, but I'm going to defend him when people start saying he's a bench player. The fact that we're having this conversation is a testament to the work Cooney put in last offseason to have the season he did. Now he can use this offseason to work on those other assets of his game and be more consistent. Let's just not bash him, and let's just see what he does. Again, there won't be one player that will work harder than Trevor.

Note on defense: Gbinije has more length at 6'8", but Cooney has a higher basketball IQ and more active hands, which put himself in a position for more steals out of traps as well as tipped passes.

A stud shooting guard has to be able to create his own shot. The next jab step - step back - and shoot sequence i see from him will be his first.

TrickySU said:
Okay we get your point. You don't think highly of Cooney. Nobody's asking you to buy into him. The kid exceeded everyone's expectations this year by far. People thinks it's easy to make the jump he did from last year and hit 90 threes in a season. And who do you propose take Cooney's minutes? Not one player off the bench would match what Cooney gave this team. I've said it in other threads, and Orangeyes even brought it up - this team needed another shooter to take the pressure off Cooney. When the second leading three point shooter on the team has just 30 threes, there's a problem. Last year there was Southerland, Triche, Carter-Williams, and Fair all with at least 30 made threes. This year, Cooney made more threes than the rest of the team combined. Heck, he made more than any other player attempted.

Absolutely true and I totally agree. And next year, he will be better!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/56997/trevor-cooney

Those are his season stats. There is nothing there that would make you take him over TJ Warren, Rodney Hood, whoever the 2 is at UConn, or dozens of other guys. He's our guy and everyone wants him to put the ball in the basket but there's no reason for false praise.

I look forward to hearing from all the posters who bought into Cooney low at the end of last season.

I look forward to hearing from all the posters who bought into Cooney low at the end of last season.

Doesn't change losing to a mid major and being shut out in the 2nd round of the tournament. That's just where we are.

[quote="TrickySU, post: 1004188, member: 2749"
It's tough to get assists when others can't hit shots either. That said, getting more assists is something else he can, and needs to, work on. [/quote]

I have never seen a starting guard have fewer assists than Cooney did this year. So many times when the ball was passed to Trevor he either immediately passed it back or took one quick dribble and passed it. He was never looking to create anything in those situations and it wouldn't have resulted in any more assists if SU was a good shooting team.

If Andy Rautins or Brandon Triche were playing the position with this team, they would have dribbled around and found seams in the defense that led to baskets. Both of them would have dished out a lot more assists to Grant and Fair because passing was big part of their game.

This is a good and novel comment.

[quote="TrickySU, post: 1004188, member: 2749"
It's tough to get assists when others can't hit shots either. That said, getting more assists is something else he can, and needs to, work on.

I have never seen a starting guard have fewer assists than Cooney did this year. So many times when the ball was passed to Trevor he either immediately passed it back or took one quick dribble and passed it. He was never looking to create anything in those situations and it wouldn't have resulted in any more assists if SU was a good shooting team.

If Andy Rautins or Brandon Triche were playing the position with this team, they would have dribbled around and found seams in the defense that led to baskets. Both of them would have dished out a lot more assists to Grant and Fair because passing was big part of their game.[/quote]